Bolt Extractor suggestions

AudiOn19s

Looking for suggestions of products that are worth a damn at extracting broken bolts.

I have a set for rounded bolt heads but this particular bolt snapped the head off as I was tigntening it down.

The good news is it's not siezed in there, just broken off to where I can't grab onto it with anything.

Hoping to find out what works best for others here before going to purchase something to extract it with.

Bolt is fairly small if it makes a difference.

Andy

Easy out drill bits. I think you can find them anywhere.

Agree.

I used somebody's once, it was a nice little kit with different sizes. It bites into the stud and twists it right out. Couldnt tell you the brand, but I'm sure any brand will do.

Left handed drill bits are for extraction and have one less step involved.

An EZ out, you need to drill a pilot hole then, use the EZ out in your hole on reverse.

exactly with the advantage that you are not as likely to break off the !$%!@$ hard as !@%!%@ EZ out in the bolt then have to drill both out completely...

Andy, I wallowed out a couple of Allen-headed flywheel bolts on the Passat when I was swapping out the clutch, and I used the EZ Out thingies from Sears (they aren't cheap) but through drilling the pilot holes and reverse-rotating the 3 broken bolts came right out.

Don't think twice. I'm cheap as they come but it was money well spent and I'll be prepared if it happens again...

do them make them small enough to drill the pilot hole on a bolt that's probably 6mm in diameter?

or am I better with the one stage dealy? Again it's not siezed in the hole, I broke the bolt off trying to over-tighten to stop a leak.

I know I know...

if you have the other end of the bolt, you can try just putting it back on (like just placing the two halves together) and then just turning, i've had the same thing happen to me on my mazda several times and that has always worked for me. If that doesnt make sense i'll try to explain it again lol