Want to get a bike but don't know where to start

Last_in

Well, I have always wanted a bike and seeing so many of them out down in Cincinnati has really given me the bug. I still have to talk to the parentals, see what they say about me buying a bike.

I have no riding experience, except for messing around on dirt bikes a little when I was a kid. I have looked at the new ninja 250r for a starter bike and really like the price but will I get tired of it too quick? I asked some people down here that have bike on campus and they recommended getting a 600-750 to start out with and take it easy.

What do you guys recommend? I am more into the street bikes.

Does your body type have anything to do with the bike you pick out? I'm 5' 10" 155 if it does play a factor.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8555&highlight=starter

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8665&highlight=starter

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27144&highlight=starter

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63053&highlight=starter

There are many more topics on here about first bikes with some great info in them,

You'll be fine on a 600 as a starter bike... if you have a head on your shoulders. I learned on a 600 Katana and had a couple close calls. There are people who start on a 250 and die and those who start on a 1300 Busa and are just fine.

• Confused 1

get something smaller (example ninja 500 or 250) then sell it in a year or two when you want to upgrade. there is ALWAYS a market for starter bikes and resale value is pretty good on them too. you can sell them for nearly what you paid for them, provided you dont destroy it.

buy it used. you will most likely drop it at one point or another. also, its going to drop significantly in value as soon as you ride it off the lot if you buy new.

supersports are not beginner bikes, just like a ferrari is not a car that you would use to teach someone to drive, or an f-16 is not what you train beginner pilots in.

supersports do make great second and third bikes though.

the purpose of your first bike should be to allow you to master riding skills and build confidence. you dont grow into a bike, you develop your skills on it.

as a beginner, you are going to make mistakes. you want something that is going to be forgiving. if you whack the throttle a little too much on a 250, its going to be much more forgiving than if you do it on a supersport.

you can say "oh just take it easy and you will be fine". thats like saying "im gonna learn to juggle, and im going to start juggling chainsaws, but its cool... im gonna go slow and respect the power of the chainsaw".

the problem is that, as a beginner, you dont have the proper skills yet.

yes, there are people who started on supersports and turned out just fine. there are also a lot of people who didnt turn out fine.

yes, you can die on a 250 just as you can die on a supersport, or a harley or whatever. riding any motorcycle on the street is risky business.

in the long run, you will learn much more and be a better rider overall by starting out on something smaller and working your way up.

good beginner bikes IMO that are still sporty

honda, F2, F3, 599

kawasaki: ninja 250, 500, 650r maybe older zx6 or zzr600

suzuki: gs500, katana 600, sv650

yamaha early 90s yzf600r

also, take the MSF course and ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR

• Confused 1

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60154

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74656

I went with an SV650 for my first bike and it was a great decision. Has kept me out of trouble a few times but still allows me to have plenty of fun with it.

After riding now, I'm extremely happy I stayed away from the 250 because I feel I would have been super super super bored with it after a month and would be looking to jump up immediately but I put 3k miles on my bike in 2 1/2 months. I was literally out everyday I could be after class/ work for as long as I could.

• Confused 1

There is a nice 2000 SV650 for sale on CL and it looks like it's Hoblicks, 88lx5oh on here. Only thing is it's carb'd and something I'd suggest staying away from, especially on the SV. They like to get gummed up over winter.

Your first bike you WILL drop. I did it once already so looking at something with minimal to no plastics is a good idea. Most people don't like the look but you can't see what your bike looks like when you're riding on it either way.

You may get bored of the SV or a smaller bike in the straight real quick but on the twisty roads you won't be using the bikes entire potential for a while anyway and that's where you'll want the bike to be more forgiving.

From all this I would say to stay away from the 600 I4 and up for your first bike, regardless of what your friends say or others may think. Some do and some don't.

Lastly PAY ATTENTION TO INSURANCE RATES! Full coverage for me on a 600 I4 was outrageous! With my V-Twin I pay 50 dollars less per month for FULL COVERAGE than I do having bare minimum liability on my 96 4cyl Accord.

Set aside at least 500 for gear at a bare minimum. Always wear your gear. You need to dress for the fall and not the ride. I skimp on the pants and that's a risk I take every time I go out but I'm investing in some leather pants or a one piece soon for the more spirited rides.

You ARE INVISIBLE to everyone else on the road when you're on a bike. Understand where peoples blind spots are, watch your mirrors but never trust them.

Don't let family fears of you falling or any of that make your decision on getting a bike. Unless they have grown up riding they probably won't be to fond of the idea and will give you the handbook on all the dangers as to why you shouldn't ride. Take them to note, riding isn't for everyone.

Quite a few people I know don't winterize their stuff. I try to tell them what to do but they're stubborn. Not my problem though.

Only thing is it's carb'd and something I'd suggest staying away from, especially on the SV. They like to get gummed up over winter.

Then your blanket statement was stated for WHAT reason?

:confused:

KillJoy

get something smaller (example ninja 500 or 250) then sell it in a year or two when you want to upgrade. there is ALWAYS a market for starter bikes and resale value is pretty good on them too. you can sell them for nearly what you paid for them, provided you dont destroy it.

buy it used. you will most likely drop it at one point or another. also, its going to drop significantly in value as soon as you ride it off the lot if you buy new.

supersports are not beginner bikes, just like a ferrari is not a car that you would use to teach someone to drive, or an f-16 is not what you train beginner pilots in.

supersports do make great second and third bikes though.

the purpose of your first bike should be to allow you to master riding skills and build confidence. you dont grow into a bike, you develop your skills on it.

as a beginner, you are going to make mistakes. you want something that is going to be forgiving. if you whack the throttle a little too much on a 250, its going to be much more forgiving than if you do it on a supersport.

you can say "oh just take it easy and you will be fine". thats like saying "im gonna learn to juggle, and im going to start juggling chainsaws, but its cool... im gonna go slow and respect the power of the chainsaw".

the problem is that, as a beginner, you dont have the proper skills yet.

yes, there are people who started on supersports and turned out just fine. there are also a lot of people who didnt turn out fine.

yes, you can die on a 250 just as you can die on a supersport, or a harley or whatever. riding any motorcycle on the street is risky business.

in the long run, you will learn much more and be a better rider overall by starting out on something smaller and working your way up.

good beginner bikes IMO that are still sporty

honda, F2, F3, 599

kawasaki: ninja 250, 500, 650r maybe older zx6 or zzr600

suzuki: gs500, katana 600, sv650

yamaha early 90s yzf600r

also, take the MSF course and ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR

sticky this and post it in any forum that is appropriate.

I'm just saying it's something to think about and take into consideration. I know a lot of people that will complain about how the SV's carbs gum up and that the non EFI versions are something to stay away from.

If it can be avoided stay away from the carb'd versions. EFI is much better all around but most will cost a bit more.

I don't know this persons habits on taking care of their stuff.

Guest tbutera2112

i didnt winterize my bike....but hell, any time the roads were dry id fire it up and let it get up to operating temp and take it for a spin lol, regardless of temp

my carbs are clean as shit, i was just in there!

starter clutch is taking a shit on me though :(

Winterize or not, carbed SV's have issues. My first one would have issues after two weeks of sitting. The second SV I had sat and was gummed up but had a choke issue that forced the owner to park it and eventually sell it to me. After having the carbs cleaned and rebuilt, it acted just like my first bike.

I'd buy the one FormulaMatt listed if I was in the market. Really good price in my opinion.

Thanks guys for all the info and finding good deals and offers but I made this thread so I know what to look for later in the year. I still have one more quarter to finish up down in Cincinnati before I can really buy anything.

I did talk to my dad, he said, "You can do everything right in a car and make it home safe. You can do everything right on a motorcycle and not ever make it home." He said he's not worried about me on a bike but the drivers in other cars that never look for motorcyclist. I think I can warm him up to the idea, hopefully.

I'm surprised at the cost of the SV650's, very reasonable I think. My first bike will definitely be a SV650.

Guest tbutera2112
"You can do everything right in a car and make it home safe. You can do everything right on a motorcycle and not ever make it home.".

that goes both ways...you can do everything right in a car and still not make it home ... look at monica durban