jiu jitsu

Clifford Automotive

If you are looking for common sense, real world self defense, Jiu Jitsu is not were you should be looking. Look into Krav Maga for the kids. That is the most useful system taught, hands down. Jiu Jitsu, Karate, Tea Kwon Do etc are great as long as everyone is playing by the rules, but there are no rules on the street.

http://www.ohiokravmaga.com

Or contact Jon (blk00ws6) he is an instructor there.

If you are looking for common sense, real world self defense, Jiu Jitsu is not were you should be looking. Look into Krav Maga for the kids. That is the most useful system taught, hands down. Jiu Jitsu, Karate, Tea Kwon Do etc are great as long as everyone is playing by the rules, but there are no rules on the street.

+1 I trained there for a long time and loved it there... the place is freaking awesome!

Couple things.

JuJitsu Wise, check out Bo Kimly's DoJo near my house in Dublin. Excellent. Perhaps one of the best in Central Ohio. I am going to get back into it once I'm back in shape physically and will very likely train with him.

http://www.kitaerumartialarts.com/

Brent is the instructor. He and I practiced together in College. He's very, very good. I studied JuJitsu for 12 years, he studied Shotokan. Together we blended our techniques. He took it to the extreme and teaches now. He also teaches Kempo.

Enjoy.

Jiu Jitsu is more real world fighting then you can imagine. I would take a guess that around 70-80% of fights end up on the ground. Jiu Jitsu teaches you how to handle yourself and your opponent on the ground (or get them there). *Most* Jiu Jitsu teachers will offer gi and no-gi training. No-Gi is what you want its cheaper (Jiu Jitsu Gi's are fucking expensive) and more real world self defense. There is a reason why the majority *good* MMA guys spend so much time training in Jiu Jitsu. UFC 1? wha?

http://www.dudubarrosjj.com/

Its up North but Ive heard him talk about different places in Columbus to train. He is a bad ass, 140 lbs of whoop ass.

Just teach them how to street fight. It will be more useful than any bullshit krav magma shit.

I'd love to take on that woman in the comercial and make her squeel.

lol.....you should go try it. I considered myself a good "street fighter" before I got in to Krav. I will tell you, an above average "street fighter" will not hold up to a basic Krav trained person.

Jiu Jitsu is more real world fighting then you can imagine. I would take a guess that around 70-80% of fights end up on the ground. Jiu Jitsu teaches you how to handle yourself and your opponent on the ground (or get them there). *Most* Jiu Jitsu teachers will offer gi and no-gi training. No-Gi is what you want its cheaper (Jiu Jitsu Gi's are fucking expensive) and more real world self defense. There is a reason why the majority *good* MMA guys spend so much time training in Jiu Jitsu. UFC 1? wha?

Its up North but Ive heard him talk about different places in Columbus to train. He is a bad ass, 140 lbs of whoop ass.

I have trained Jiu Jitsu. I realize its pro's and con's. There is a reason the IDF teaches Krav and not straight Jui Jitsu. Untrained fighters will end up on the ground a high percentage of the time, I will neutralize the treat before we get to a ground situation. Letting yourself get in a ground and pound situation in a real world situation is NOT a smart thing to do. You can try to be the hero wrestling on the ground, but what you need to do is shut the threat down and get out of the situation. Last time I checked it is harder to get out of danger while laying on your back.

ps..... UFC is not real world fighting. That is a situation where people play by the rules. No one comes at you with a gun, stick, other weapon inside the octagon.

lol.....you should go try it. I considered myself a good "street fighter" before I got in to Krav. I will tell you, an above average "street fighter" will not hold up to a basic Krav trained person.

lol i only say this cause im a hard ass.

In all seriousness the commercials are hilarious. That woman throws 275lb men around like rag dolls. Super unrealistic. What would have happened, had it not been a commercial to promote the school, but a real life situation, she would have been raped.

Edited by Panduh

Commercial or not, Krav Maga is the real deal. Its taught to their military personnel, and has very little Escalation of Force (EoF) incorporated into it. Most martial arts (MCMAP included) will teach to simply neutralize the threat at the lowest level possible. Krav Maga teaches to eliminate the threat all together. If they put you in a life or death situation, kill them first. Plain and simple.

Commercial or not, Krav Maga is the real deal. Its taught to their military personnel, and has very little Escalation of Force (EoF) incorporated into it. Most martial arts (MCMAP included) will teach to simply neutralize the threat at the lowest level possible. Krav Maga teaches to eliminate the threat all together. If they put you in a life or death situation, kill them first. Plain and simple.

True story there!

what you're speaking of is more instructor related not style related. I was always taught mutiple techniques for every situation. We trained to nuetralize and completely eliminate threats.

If you want tournament level BJJ training look up ruff house jiujitsu. I trained there for a while and now theyre getting really hard core. I dont know if they have a kids class right now but arthur ruff is one of the best. They also have an octagon for mma in the gym. Its right in grandview too.

Ohio Krav Maga teaches BJJ also.... that school teaches about everyting come to think of it including crossfit which will kick your cardio ass

I train people in Krav Maga and CrossFit.. But for BJJ, go to Ruffhouse. That's where I go along with several other instructors from our gym. Arthur is a top notch instructor, along with 2 guys who instruct there who were on the ultimate fighter (Luke Zachrich and Dorian Price) Sean Salmon trains there and I know that Matt Brown has been in a few times and plans to start traning there when he moves from Vegas back to Ohio.

Arthur is a 2nd degree black belt in bjj under Rodrigo Medeiros (who is a 4th degree black belt under the old Carlson Gracie.. plus rodrigo trains brock lesnar and big nog).. Both of them have been world champions and you get the opportunity to train wtih Rodrigo when he comes to town.

I've also trained with David Meyer who is one of the "dirty dozen" but that's only once a year since he's out of San Fran

Ruff's has a kids program that is led by Dan Siegel.. He's a 4 stripe purple belt who just won a bronze medal this past weekend at the Pan Am games. He left Relsons to come to Arthurs

I train people in Krav Maga and CrossFit.. But for BJJ, go to Ruffhouse. That's where I go along with several other instructors from our gym. Arthur is a top notch instructor, along with 2 guys who instruct there who were on the ultimate fighter (Luke Zachrich and Dorian Price) Sean Salmon trains there and I know that Matt Brown has been in a few times and plans to start traning there when he moves from Vegas back to Ohio.

Arthur is a 2nd degree black belt in bjj under Rodrigo Medeiros (who is a 4th degree black belt under the old Carlson Gracie.. plus rodrigo trains brock lesnar and big nog).. Both of them have been world champions and you get the opportunity to train wtih Rodrigo when he comes to town.

I've also trained with David Meyer who is one of the "dirty dozen" but that's only once a year since he's out of San Fran

Ruff's has a kids program that is led by Dan Siegel.. He's a 4 stripe purple belt who just won a bronze medal this past weekend at the Pan Am games. He left Relsons to come to Arthurs

Any idea where to go for legit Muay Thai training for a decent price, and not overcrowded?

yes and no... when was the last time you saw a fight where guys took all their clothes off and wrestled around in their drawers? If a guy wants to take his shirt off to fight, then kick him in the dick when its over his face and run.

BJJ is good for 1 on 1 fighting on the ground, not when the guys friend comes up and soccer kicks your head. Remember BJJ has rules, street fighting has animal instincts coming out.. biting, eye gouging, fish hooking, etc. Choking someone out and throwing an armbar is much harder when your opponent is biting the hell out of you, just ripped your ear off, slams your head to the pavement since you pulled guard, or even pulls a knife out while on the ground.

and BJJ gi's arent' much.. I've seen basic ones as cheap as 40 bucks, or splurge on a lucky brand one for 250.