Cutting Springs

SLOWLX

Though there is always someone in the mix that has had acceptable results with cutting, I have never been a fan. Even if you do it carefully and don;t overheat the spring causing it to lose its strength you still end up using an important component outside the parameters it was designed to function in.

Secondarily, if you go too far you can end up needing different length shocks to prevent bottoming them out and causing damage.

With the huge amount of coverage in reasonably priced aftermarket springs these days, I'd say pony up a little bit of cash to do it right.

Guest tbutera2112

depends on the spring type...assuming since its a ford, i would guess theyre linear springs (like 03/04 cobras mentioned above, and other sn95 mustangs aswell), and if they are, cutting them will NOT affect ride quality...

what iwashmycar is saying applies to progessive springs that rely on length

depends on the spring type...assuming since its a ford, i would guess theyre linear springs (like 03/04 cobras mentioned above, and other mustangs aswell), and if they are, cutting them will NOT affect ride quality...

what iwashmycar is saying applies to progessive springs that rely on length

You can degrade ride quality by cutting either spring type too much. Mainly depending on the rate of the spring and the weight of the vehicle, especially if you cut too much off.

Keep in mind that the resulting spring rate increase will mean increased shock wear, if your shocks are already tired the cut spring will likely finish the job. Pogo time.

The only person in here that has any useful information.. thank you. :thumbup:

Yeah, my post was entirely different and useless. :confused:

When I read your posts I hear a mocking bird repeating what everyone else says. Some of what you have said is true, however I get the impression you don't exactly know why.

I've run cutters and aftermarket lowering springs if they don't make a spring (like for my vision) cutting is all you can do

if the aftermarket springs are availiable get them and as mentioned above if your suspension is old or worn its going to need to some work at the same time

When I read your posts I hear a mocking bird repeating what everyone else says. Some of what you have said is true, however I get the impression you don't exactly know why.

He posted facts, not opinion.

What did you do in here but post an opinion? You added nothing to this thread just like me.

And how in the he'll do you get an impression from that post that he dosnt know why?

You know you're right someone posts facts an they are a "mocking bird"!

Sigh I'm done this really just took all of my stupid bitch quota for the day.