Ticket help...

2 Sweet

I haven't had a ticket in almost three years, until last night. I was being stupid, driving fast on Sawmill around 1 in the morning when nobody else was around, and got pulled over by a Perry Township cop. He was way in front of me, and he says he clocked me at 93 in a 40. He gave me a reckless op which I assume is the norm for someone going 53 over the limit.

So, I need some advice. Should I accept whatever I get? I'm willing to pay the fees, but how many points will that add? I got my last ticket in May of 2007 so I don't think it's off my record yet. I'd rather not have my license be suspended. What's going to happen? Also, I was driving a friend's car that has 5% tint, he wrote that as an offense on the ticket too. I'm definitely not going to accept that, since it's not my car.

What should I expect?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 points for wreckless op. I think it used to be 6, but others here say it has always been 4.

If you can afford it, lawyer up.

Also, I'm not sure you can fight the tint. Doesn't that fall into the "it's not illegal to own a car with X, it's illegal to drive a car with X." Like loud/off road exhaust, no front plates, etc. You can own a car with that shit, you can't operate it on a public road though. Hope I'm wrong.

first ticket im 3 years? so that means as of before you got this ticket you have ZERO points correct? i would suggest just going to court, be respectful and admit you were in the wrong, and see if the judge sees somthing in you and lowers the ticket.. happened to me, i was really nice to the cop and apologized like crazy, pulled over before he even turned his lights on cuz i knew i was fucked. and in court just be straight forward with the judge and be respectful.. best advice i can give for you..

but what you shouldve done is kept on it swerved some got out in a field and got out running and screaming BEES!!!!!! and brushing your self off.. works every time :D

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Everyone%20Else/images-3/you-gonna-get-raped.jpg

seriously though, what the fuck. its not like you were going just past the speed limit, you were doing 225% of the speed limit. you're fucked. im going to guess reckless ops, 6 points, say hello to higher insurance rates again

fight it....

What would I even say though?

4 points for wreckless op. I think it used to be 6, but others here say it has always been 4.

How many points before your license gets suspended?

first ticket im 3 years? so that means as of before you got this ticket you have ZERO points correct? i would suggest just going to court, be respectful and admit you were in the wrong, and see if the judge sees somthing in you and lowers the ticket.. happened to me, i was really nice to the cop and apologized like crazy, pulled over before he even turned his lights on cuz i knew i was fucked. and in court just be straight forward with the judge and be respectful.. best advice i can give for you..

Almost 3 years, I think it was a speeding ticket in May '07.

Is it even like court though? I remember when I got a ticket when I was 16, all I did was walk up to this teller's window thing, say guilty, and pay it. I assumed that there was only an actual court and judge and shit if you try to fight it, but I have no idea how this works.

seriously though, what the fuck. its not like you were going just past the speed limit, you were doing 225% of the speed limit. you're fucked. im going to guess reckless ops, 6 points, say hello to higher insurance rates again

I'm aware. Yes I speed a lot, irresponsible, blah blah blah. I'm willing to accept the consequences, but if I can prevent my license from being suspended I'll do it

i may be wrong about 6 points...it says below speed can be 0/2/4 point violations, but i think reckless ops which is 20 or more is still 6

The subjects of driver license points and traffic school are covered extensively in our DMV Point System section on this site.

Just for a quick review, though, the point system is listed below.

Top Six-point Violations

Committing a homicide with your car

Driving while under the influence

Failing to stop and give necessary information at the scene of a crash

Purposely fleeing or eluding a police officer

Racing on public roads

Driving a vehicle without the owner's permission

Driving with a suspended or revoked license

Committing a felony with your car

Top Four-point Violations

Driving with wanton disregard of the safety of pedestrians, other drivers, or property

Driving under the influence as a minor

Top Two-point Violations

Most moving violations (excluding issues regarding load limits)

Driving a vehicle despite a BMV restriction

Speeding violations are assigned various points according to how many miles over the speed limit you go. Points given are four, two, and possibly zero.

Points stay on your license for two years.

Non-moving violations, such as forgetting to renew your registration on time, may result in a ticket and a fine, but will not result in points being assessed against you, and will not show up on your driving record.

Top The Warning

Once you accumulate six points on your driving record, the BMV will notify you with a letter. The letter is basically a warning about the penalties you'll get if you reach 12 points in a two-year period.

Those penalties include a mandatory six-month suspension and having to retake the written and driving tests before your license is reinstated.

You can take a remedial driving course and remove two points off your record. For more information, see DMV Point System on this site.

Top Handling a Ticket

In Ohio, the BMV does not handle traffic ticket transactions. Those issues are handled by the county courts. Your ticket will be printed with the address and contact information for the court handling your case. You should send payment or direct any questions to that court.

Top Long-term Consequences

You should be aware that several minor violations―and sometimes just one―in a short period of time can have a significant impact on your insurance premium, as can one major infraction.

You always run the risk of having your coverage dropped by your insurance company. This can lead to more problems when shopping for a new carrier, as you might be labeled as a high-risk customer (assuming that you weren't in this category before).

If you recently received a ticket, or have a lot of points on your license and are concerned about the impact it may have on your rates, it's best to contact your insurance agent or call your insurance company directly.

Remember, everyone who drives in Ohio needs to be able to show proof of financial responsibility. For more on this, see our Requirements & Information section.

DUDE! Not good at all! DEF get a lawyer if you want to drive anytime soon. He'll prolly make a guilty plea, but you might be able to keep your license.

What the fuck were you going so fast for if you werent racing??

Thanks for the info. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I won't have to worry about my license being suspended, and that was my main concern.

As far as fighting it goes and getting a lawyer or whatever, is it even worth it? I'm not doubting that I was probably going that fast, and even if I did fight it and they knock it down, I'd have court fees and lawyer fees and whatnot. I can see fighting the tint, but I won't need a lawyer for that.

Although I'm curious to find out how much the ticket will cost me...

Is it even like court though? I remember when I got a ticket when I was 16, all I did was walk up to this teller's window thing, say guilty, and pay it. I assumed that there was only an actual court and judge and shit if you try to fight it, but I have no idea how this works.

Oh yea there is a judge and court and all. Youll be going up against the assholes from the police dept, they might have a DA and all. Get a lawyer before you talk to anyone else.

I was 18 when i had to do this. I was wrongfully accused of street racing and had to get an attorney. I basically walked with a moving violation and 200 dollars in court fees plus another 400 split between my friend and i. So it was an expensive thing to say the least. Plus very scary being the cop just graduated and was looking for fresh meat. The story is long and i dont want to bore you, but he motherfucked us big time. And thats where i get my distrust and disrespect for cops from.

DUDE! Not good at all! DEF get a lawyer if you want to drive anytime soon. He'll prolly make a guilty plea, but you might be able to keep your license.

What the fuck were you going so fast for if you werent racing??

How? 6 points is the max violation, they can't automatically take it away for driving that much over the limit, can they?

I have no excuse. I was driving my friend's car, he told me to take off, and I took off. I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed

You were driving, you accept all responsibilities of the car. If it has a full exhaust with no cat and he decibel tests it, its your fault.

Again, get a lawyer, talk to him, bring everything you can, and get a consultation. I was lucky, my lawyer knew the judge, you prolly wont be that lucky.

How? 6 points is the max violation, they can't automatically take it away for driving that much over the limit, can they?

I have no excuse. I was driving my friend's car, he told me to take off, and I took off. I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed

Honestly, i cant believe he didnt impound the car on the spot for going that fast. Thank god you didnt run like some people.

you don't need an attorney, but it would help. i got a 15 over on 33 and 270 on the west side, didnt realize it dropped to 55...went in, talked to prosecutor, told him i never drive the area (truth), had been trying to clean up my driving act (truth) and when he pulled my record and saw a bunch of shit from 3+ years before, and nothing since, he said he believed me and told me he'd drop it to an "equipments violation". i paid $10 more than the ticket would have been and got 0 points

but if yours gets to trial, if the cop doesnt show, they have no one to argue their side of the story, and you win. if its a small township (i dont know perry), they may not have the $$ to pay the cop to go into court and sit through all that, or you may just get lucky and he might not go in, etc, in which case you win

You were driving, you accept all responsibilities of the car. If it has a full exhaust with no cat and he decibel tests it, its your fault.

Again, get a lawyer, talk to him, bring everything you can, and get a consultation. I was lucky, my lawyer knew the judge, you prolly wont be that lucky.

a good lawyer knows the law. a great lawyer knows the judge. ;)

you don't need an attorney, but it would help. i got a 15 over on 33 and 270 on the west side, didnt realize it dropped to 55...went in, talked to prosecutor, told him i never drive the area (truth), had been trying to clean up my driving act (truth) and when he pulled my record and saw a bunch of shit from 3+ years before, and nothing since, he said he believed me and told me he'd drop it to an "equipments violation". i paid $10 more than the ticket would have been and got 0 points

but if yours gets to trial, if the cop doesnt show, they have no one to argue their side of the story, and you win. if its a small township (i dont know perry), they may not have the $$ to pay the cop to go into court and sit through all that, or you may just get lucky and he might not go in, etc, in which case you win

You were going 15 over. He was doing 53 over! Thats a reckless. Usually people lose licenses.

Oh, damn. I guess it's a little more serious than I thought, lol.

As far as the car not being impounded, it belongs to a former CPD detective who is currently in Afghanistan working for the government special ops or something along those lines.