Powerball winner

HotCarl

some jackoff from Jefferson City Montana won the $258 million dollar jackpot. Normally i wouldnt really care until i read this article about him http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100423/ap_on_re_us/us_powerball_winner_missouri

He's talking about paying off utility bills with 258 million fucking dollars?! Not to mention the priceless quote, "Chris Shaw, 29, said he plans to use the winnings to pay off the $1,000 he owes a friend for a truck he recently bought, catch up on his utility bills, see a dentist about getting his two missing front teeth replaced, and take his three children and his girlfriend's two children to Walt Disney World in Florida." A dream come true for a redneck.

+Rep for you my friend, I bet he will only use 10,000 by the time he dies!

HELL NO! my money says he's broke and bankrupt in less than 10 years. Something crazy like 85% of all lottery winners claim bankruptcy less than 5 years after winning.

HELL NO! my money says he's broke and bankrupt in less than 10 years. Something crazy like 85% of all lottery winners claim bankruptcy less than 5 years after winning.

i've watched those lottery winner tv shows and it's true and it completely blows my mind....

of course i'd run out and blow some money if i won that much, but within reason! i'd still make sure to keep some money to live on!

The youngest person to ever win the lotto started his own business and banked off it.

I don't know how you can file bankruptcy after winning the lotto.

Take 25% and have fun with it/ buy a house. Invest the rest and live comfortably. Most of the time you can live a more lavished life and still be comfortable compared to being a baller and making shit rain for 6 years then being flat broke.

a quarter of a billion dollars...how do you bankrupt? Seriously!

If you come from nothing and have no idea how to manage finance's (not talking about investing, simply managing what you do have) its really easy. You get the mindset of "i have so much effing money i can afford it" until one day you have 18 mansions and everyone one of your hummer's has a hot tub in the back of it and you owe the IRS a few million.

I just cant fathom that type of money and seeing people, or i should say from you guys saying most go bankrupt just blows my mind. I mean, a few million, yea, i could blow that pretty quickly. But seriously, after the first 50 mil, and having nothing else left to buy, what do you do...

I guess it doesnt help when alot of these people dont go back to work afterwards..

fuuuck no. that advisor will just sit there and lick his chops at all the fees hes going to get.

Fuck that, just put most of it in CD's and Muni bonds. Have a couple mill to play with in the stock market and you are set for life. If you put 70 Mill into CD's and Muni Bonds you would gross ~3.5 mill per year. How the fuck do you go broke?!

I happen to know 5 different people who have won the lottery. None of the jackpots were that big, but all all but one were substantial.

None of these people went bankrupt, nor did their lives change that much. They were all pretty conservative people, however, and certainly weren't wondering how they were going to be able to pay their utility bills.

The woman who won the smallest jackpot out of these 5 is only getting $40,000/year (after taxes) for the rest of her life. She continued working at her factory job and was leading a pretty normal life last I saw her.

One guy still lives in the same house, and you would never know that he was a multi-millionare. He has a couple of new cars and one toy car and that's about it.

Another guy quit his engineering job and traveled/partied for about a year before realizing that he'd soon be dead if he kept it up. He then started a small but successful design consulting company and lives a comfortable, but fairly normal life.

The other two guys split the same jackpot as the last and are also engineers working for the small design company. Normal guys.

Typically, lower class is who wins the Lottery.... because they buy a higher percentage of the Tickets.

KillJoy

Yup...

"Shaw said he had just $28.96 in his bank account"

"Shaw — who has a 10-year-old son, a 7-year-old girl and a 5-year-old girl by two different women"