Custom Home Builders.

AudiOn19s

Who's built with a custom home builder:

Who did you use?

What was your experience like?

Would you do it again?

It's time for me to get out of suburban hell. We bought our current home as a starter home in a starter neighborhood and it's a great place to call home but it's time to move on. Too many little children and annoyances that go with living in this setting.

We've already scoped a couple of lots that are pretty much what we're looking for and now we're shopping for builders.

Andy

I subcontracted my own house which i built almost 2yrs ago now. What I did was when i had my plans drawn up I had about 15 copies made and just by talking or calling people started sending out plans to contractors. I got 4 bids on every aspect of the house that i needed done and couldn't do myself.

So I didn't use a Home builder, delt directly with the contractors. We figured we saved 30k by doing it this way.

http://www.ralphrhodescustomhomes.com

I've known him for 10 years or so, every house I have seen has been top notch, not only in workmanship but in ergonomics and just plain cool ideas he has done. The brick arches inside his current house are awesome.

Now I haven't had him build me anything, so I don't know how he handles the business end of things.

In this market you are likely better off buying vs building.

Not neccessarly........If he is approved for his loan or wouldn't have any problems, You can get some really good prices outta contractors right now. Everyone is looking for work. I've got 210k in my house for a 2200 sqft ranch with a 4 car garage and a full basement the way I wanted it. Not going to find the same for that price.

It's all in what your looking for, if you want a run of the mill house in a neighborhood then that is your best bet, but if your wanting a true custom home your better off building what you want IMO, but their are deals to be had on older cutoms.

Only thing that you need to check is if your going to be needing a septic system.........see if you can still get the Leach field instead of the mound system! We got lucky and the mound was repealed for a yr. It saved us 13K by being able to go with a leach field.

In this market you are likely better off buying vs building.

I don't disagree, but I can't find what I want, where I want it.

Ironically I'm looking for something along the lines of what truckin built.

2500 sq/ft ranch

minimum of 4 car garage

There are a few homes out there that fit the bill that I've found but they're dated inside and would require quite a bit of work to make them what we want. When you start figuring in costs to remodel what's already there we're basically in the same price range only with an older construction.

Ranch's that size are even harder to come by.

Here's mine...........lanscaping is still a work in progress.

The single car bay is actually 2 car....it's 42' deep and over 13' wide whole garage has 11ft ceilings.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/joygirl/house002.jpg

looking in the single door......framing pic but you get the idea

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/joygirl/DSC00493.jpg

That's a boaters dream garage! Want to rent me out a spot?!?!

Haha.....kinda why i made it that deep, for resale purposes. Plus it'll hold most of my vehicles. Doors are 18x8 and 10x8

I plan on putting in a drive on lift in the back so I can put my 65 on top and my 92 below.

Silvestri Homes. I've known Carlo and Joe since I was maybe like 6? They build top notch homes from anywhere in the $250k all the way past $1 million. Great quality, personal service (Carlo or Joe will actually be on site multiple times per week) and part of the old "Italian Builder Guild" in Columbus.

Silvestri Homes. I've known Carlo and Joe since I was maybe like 6? They build top notch homes from anywhere in the $250k all the way past $1 million. Great quality, personal service (Carlo or Joe will actually be on site multiple times per week) and part of the old "Italian Builder Guild" in Columbus.

X2. We do a lot of work with them at our firm and hes always nice to work with.

I'd also HIGHLY recommend Luebbe. Jay is the coolest, most easy-going builder ive ever met. Nothing but praise from his clients

http://www.luebbefinehomes.com/

Here is my $.02, Gladman Builders or Gossing Construction you can't go wrong with either of these two builders. Gladman built my house about 15 years ago and we are very happy with them.

If you are serious, let me know. I work for several of them. I can work with you on cost or if you want to go with the expensive route, we can go that way as well. I mean working through my old boss Jim Wright of Residential Designed Solutions. I now have my own business and working with several custom builders. My preference would be Greg Heninger.

P.S.

I have also worked with Carlo's and Joe, enough said.

http://www.ralphrhodescustomhomes.com

I've known him for 10 years or so, every house I have seen has been top notch, not only in workmanship but in ergonomics and just plain cool ideas he has done. The brick arches inside his current house are awesome.

Now I haven't had him build me anything, so I don't know how he handles the business end of things.

Ive known Ralph for several years as well. Super nice guy. He will probably do my next house for me. His houses are always nice and like you say, his masonry is top notch. I havent had him build anything for me but I did have him do a patio for me 2 years ago and his guys did a great job.