Speed-Density VS Mass Air

blue98ls1

My car (98 formula) is currently a speed-density car. For the last year I have had zero problems with it being a SD car. We are about to do lifters/heads on it and it is going to need retuned. So the question is, should it go back to a MAF or stay SD? From past cars I have had, I have always had problems with MAF sensors so kind of like the idea it doesnt have to use one. My husband however says it will run better with a MAF. After doing a bunch of research on the subject it seems both systems have advantages/disadvantages and from what I understand a SD car can run as good if not better than a car with a MAF if the tuner is experianced enough and comfortable enough tuning.

So someone give me a list of pro's/con's and convince me to put the MAF back on the car. Or give me your opinion as to why it should stay SD.

O NO... another SD vs MAF thread, this isn't going to turn out too well.

Your husband is correct, I'd put the MAF back on, get it tuned and call it a day.

The MAF will correct for weather and have more consistant fueling since you are measuring the MASS of the air going into the engine.

You are more than welcome to give me a call or stop by sometime so we can discuss this matter and If your interested, I can tune it for you after you get all the said parts on the car.

Bill

O NO... another SD vs MAF thread, this isn't going to turn out too well.

Probably about as well as my husband and I debating the subject. :rolleyes:

I was hoping for some more in-depth advice, facts, data, something as to why its good to put a MAF back on it over SD, rather than "Just because it is".

I have the mind set of "If its not broke, dont fix it." since 4 out of 7 of my last cars had MAF issues. (Subaru, Nissan)

You're cars not really sucking in enough air to need an SD tune yet. I think going back to maf would be a good move.

I really doubt my car will be to the point of maxing out the MAF for a long while. I either want to keep the car N/A and try for 500hp, or end up putting a turbo on in a couple years.

Anyone know the limitations of the MAF for these cars? How much power can the car make before it starts to lean the car out?

Guest GMoney

There's always gonna be a debate on this subject. It's all how good your ECU, sensors, and tune works together. I had a 500whp Evo that was MAF for a short time and then went to SD. I did all the tuning myself for both. The SD was so much better to drive. It starts cold and hot, idles great in all weather. I did have 100+ hours in the tune.

For you car currently I would run a blend, MAF for normally driving and SD for WOT if your ECU and tuner can handle that.

I am just getting into the GM stuff so i currently do not know the limitations yet. HP tuners will be getting my CC number in a few days.

At that point i will have the ability to tune AUDI, GM, Mitsu, AEM, VIPEC, Motec, and ford.

Guest Removed
Use both.

this

the maf makes it idle better, and over all throttle response. he said last year he was putting the maf back in. i guess he didnt. but, you only really need to delete the maf when you have a rather larger camshaft in there, and you exceed the limits of its usage. by running around lets say track usage only(only makes sense to delete the maf on your car is your going to be at wide open throttle all the time, then you will be bouncing around in just a few fuel cells out of the whole map.) for for a daily driver like it serves. you would be a great canidate to give a review on it. since it has been SD for the past year now, toss it on the dyno, have randy do it magic , and then drive ti around for a few weeks with the maf on.

you want to know why, Have hebrew call randy, and ask him this question, set the phone down on speaker and listen.

I installed it last year, but the car is still running SD because she won't let me have it tuned for it :p

The ONLY reason I don't run a MAF is because I can't. '98s and FI don't mix. I've explained she'll get better throttle response and fuelding, as well as better adapability when the weather changes. She had a mild N/A car and isn't close to maxing out the MAF yet, '98 or not.

Duh, you should always listen to your husband.

I'm sure there is a sandwich waiting to be made somehwere....

I have a whole list of nasty comments I feel like saying in response to this.... but i'm going to refrain because i'm nice and instead just use this smiley..... :gtfo:

Guest Removed
I installed it last year, but the car is still running SD because she won't let me have it tuned for it :p

The ONLY reason I don't run a MAF is because I can't. '98s and FI don't mix. I've explained she'll get better throttle response and fuelding, as well as better adapability when the weather changes. She had a mild N/A car and isn't close to maxing out the MAF yet, '98 or not.

most FI lsx motors run sd with a 2 or 3 bar map sensor. maf dont do a damn bit of good on one of those. but then fords on the other hand, mostly all run Blow thru, or draw thru with a maf

Probably about as well as my husband and I debating the subject. :rolleyes:

I was hoping for some more in-depth advice, facts, data, something as to why its good to put a MAF back on it over SD, rather than "Just because it is".

I have the mind set of "If its not broke, dont fix it." since 4 out of 7 of my last cars had MAF issues. (Subaru, Nissan)

Unless your going boosted or have a radical cam there really is no need to ditch the MAF.

You gotta look at it this way, most of the major auto manufacters put MAFs on cars not only for better drivibility but better fuel control for better gas mileage. I'm going to guess that the 10's of millions of $$$ they spent on development means something, it's not there for "just because"

I have a few books you can read if you want to learn more about them.

I disagree that she will get better throttle response. I get way better CL driving on SD then on MAF. I just switched over to Sd fully and I can't forsee myself going back.

It is harder to tune SD and requires touchups for various temperature. Assume you don't already have a basemap for all those corrections (I do not).

I do agree 1000000% that the weather changes won't affect the car as much. BUT if the car is tweaked for say Rain low pressue then next time there is Rain low pressure things should be fine.

I run around on SD year round. No issues here. If you have a good tuner you won't have any problems with SD.

^ True story

Asside for my notes about touch ups being required for the first time the cars sees certin extremes.