School me on coolant flushing

V8 Beast

Guest Removed
Running temp, remove plug, drain, get hose... So whats next? What has to be done with the thermostat? Whats a safe way to rinse it out without having contaminated water going down the drain?

large flat buckets made for draining coolant..and flushing with a hose will take several emptying the bucket, and back to work.but yet you will still spill some...its not really a controlled leak on most cars.i like to chemical clean, and rinse the hell out of them..cold, t stat out, and it can be done with a hose.

Rinse all the shit our of the system you can

remove t stat

close it off, fill with chemical and water, run to temp,cool down some, rinse again, fill run rinse again. its the one way to get a mess out of one.(that red gel crap comes to mind for me) and sometimes, in a few months(depending on how bad it was) you may have to repeat the process again.)

Guest Removed
With filling it back up you run the car and wait until the tstat opens up then top it off right?

yes.. i have a nice funnel that goes on the filler cap, and after you put the stat back in, and start filling with coolant(not mixed and i'll get to that in a second) and it burbs, just fill slowly, and watch the air come out slow..not all, but alot of it will show its self in the filler neck. just keep topping it off. in a driveway like yours it nice, its aimed upward, and give's the air pocket a high spot to get out.. do what i do and jack up the passeneger side some, and the neck is the high spot at that point, and once your pretty full, fire it up and run it till both hoses are warm and the fan comes on. rev it up some while you put the cap back on, and i suggest putting a new cap on. most of them dont last very long. but keep in mind how much water is in the block? id say around 1/2 gallon to a gallon.. one gallon straight coolant, and one 50/50 mixed normally does the trick. more or less so depending on make..(i have been talking about the bird) alot of cars have a special bleeding procedure to follow, for you to get all the air out, and some have block drain plug that are rather easy to get to, if you want to drain all the stuff from it completely.

or if you have a coolant flush machine, it make's it easier in some way's.

Guest Removed
Turn your heater on to full blast while you're filling it up.

be careful with this on some cars. running the heater draws heat from the motor, and you can play hell getting the t stat to open. you do want to run the heater, i just set them to heat, and on low so that way the heater control valve is open(if there is one)

Where do you take old coolant to? Auto Zone, Advanced, they don't take it. I have not tried NAPA yet. Everyone tells me to "take it to a shop" but I have yet to find one that will take it. I was thinking of just leaving a few gallons outside their place at night, but felt that would be wrong.

Where do you take old coolant to? Auto Zone, Advanced, they don't take it. I have not tried NAPA yet. Everyone tells me to "take it to a shop" but I have yet to find one that will take it. I was thinking of just leaving a few gallons outside their place at night, but felt that would be wrong.

Go to any local oil change shops and ask them if you can dump it in their oil catch drums. Most will say sure.

Go to any local oil change shops and ask them if you can dump it in their oil catch drums. Most will say sure.

epa says at NTB we have to keep ours separate in labeled containers..(i.e used oil,. used coolant, new oil, new coolant).. It could be they're just starting to pick on us since we're a corporation

epa says at NTB we have to keep ours separate in labeled containers..(i.e used oil,. used coolant, new oil, new coolant).. It could be they're just starting to pick on us since we're a corporation

That's funny to me since I know for certain that at a lot of shop's oil, ATF, antifreeze, 90#, and every other fluid gets dumped into the same underground storage tank.

I believe what you're saying, I just get a laugh out of a lot of the EPA shit. You know, funny thing is that through the 90's, the official EPA policy was that you could dump the used coolant straight down the shop's drain. True story.

Ummm. . you can't do that. They recycle the oil. I know that the local AZ and Advanced check the used oil for coolant and water. They don't let you dump that in with the oil. Trying to do the right thing and not dump it down the drain or put a bowl out on the sidewalk for the dogs who shit in my yard.

I haven't done this, but I heard one way is to flush used coolant down the toilet? Water treatment plant takes care of the glycol...

I will repeat that I have never done that. ever. I also recycle ATF/used oil at Advance...

Guest tbutera2112
i put all my shit in jugs no matter if its mixed striaght whatever, and i set it outside of the local Tuffy....they never seem to care, i used to ask and they always said just leave it around back, so now i just drive up there and drop the shit off without asking lol