Audiophiles: Headphone suggestions

AudiOn19s

I'm looking for a good set of over-the-ear hadphones and wanted to hear experiences from others.

Background. I sit at my desk and listen to music 3-4 hours per day. Mostly trance / techno but really I listen to just about everything from old schol rap to Latin music.

For the last 4 years or so I've been using Bost Tri-port headphones. I generally don't care for Bose products but when I purchased the Tri-ports I found them to be the best mix of tone quality, clarity, crisp highs and good bass without muddling together everything in-between.

Sadly they broke and I'm in the market to see if there's anything better out there for the same money.

I looked at the Beats by Dre (Monster cable company) and they're cool but the big ones ($299) are the only ones that I think sound worth a damn. The smaller on-ear units ($170) I thought were horrible. Big bass that muddles the sounds together, no crisp highs, they were just a mess. Even though I liked the bigger beats I'm not convinced they sound any better than the tri-ports that I was previously using esp at twice the price. Combine that with reports of issues with the head band breaking (both display units at best buy were broken) and I'm out.

Best buy carries Sennheiser who makes like 150 different models from cheap to expensive. I really wanted to listen to their 485 HD or 585 HD models but the only ones that best buy carries in the stores is the 285HD. That said I think they blow away the beats and every other unit that best buy had for demo and at only $65, but I really still want to look into their higher end units instead as the 285's are on-ear and not over-the-ear as I'd prefer. The 285 HD's were a touch muffled in the middle due to the amazing bass they produced on the low end. It wasn't bad, but wasn't quite as crisp as I'd like to hear.

Tomorrow I'm going to go demo a local Grado dealer so hear the SR80's and SR125's. As I understand it these units are hard to beat for sound quality but aren't the most comfortable for extended wear. They're also suprisingly affordable for all of the accolades that they get in reviews.

With that said, what 'cha wearing and what are your experiences with them and where can I listen to them locally. Sound is soo subjective sometimes that I really have to hear something before blindly buying and hoping I like them when they arrive.

Andy

From what I've been told by a few people the new bose lineup is pretty impressive. Plus if its been that long since you bought them even the cheaper models will sound just as good if not better then your old triports.

Now as far as what I suggest. Sennhauser does make some really nice equipment but they also make some sub par equipment. All depends on how much you're looking to spend on them.

If you're set on over ear headphones I highly suggest looking at in-ear buds. I've bought a pair of Shure SE115's (pretty sure that's the PN). Payed $110 for them and they are phenominal. Crisp sounds throughout the spectrum and they seal very nicely.

From what I've been told by a few people the new bose lineup is pretty impressive. Plus if its been that long since you bought them even the cheaper models will sound just as good if not better then your old triports.

Now as far as what I suggest. Sennhauser does make some really nice equipment but they also make some sub par equipment. All depends on how much you're looking to spend on them.

If you're set on over ear headphones I highly suggest looking at in-ear buds. I've bought a pair of Shure SE115's (pretty sure that's the PN). Payed $110 for them and they are phenominal. Crisp sounds throughout the spectrum and they seal very nicely.

FWIW, I've never heard an in-ear bud that can compare to a large over-ear setup. The over-ears are more comfortable, and allow the drivers to be of a more reasonable size. This also helps drive costs down if anything to achieve the desired level of fidelity.

I don't use headphones that often, so all I have nowadays are cheap ones. I have a few pair of the cheap Koss ones and they suit me just fine the 5 times a year I need them. Decent bass, highs, and no distortion to speak of.

:)

I've got a couple sets of ear buds for working out / running but I prefer over-the-ear for settings of work and airplanes. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of noise canceling technology either, but most of the over-the-ear units isolate noise well enough for my liking anyhow.

I actually own the bose ear buds that my wife bought me as a christmas present a couple of years ago and they're horrible. Sound qulaity is worse than the units that came with my ipod. I've also got a pair of Philips that I've found to do a pretty good job (not outstanding). So I'm squared away on that front.

Andy

These are the ones i've had for a while and can't seem to find many better than them. Only downside to them in your case might be the fact that they aren't sound cancelling, However the cup material and the headphones are made with quality materials that help keep outside noises down.

strongly suggest checking these out if you haven't already :thumbup:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=11038999&storeId=10151

I got some Senheissers for my bike right now.

Look at Grado heaphones for over the ears.

(SR-80 (~$100), SR-125 (~$150), SR-225 (~$200), SR-325 (~$300)

Senheissers are great but expensive. If you can afford to shell out 500 dollars be my guest but the SR 325 from Grado are supposed to be great.

If you really want good headphones you don't want ear buds or in ears. I went to best buy and got the Senheisser 300 just for my bike and went with a decent pair and plan on getting some Grado for the house here soon.

Just with my in ears I've heard some noises on tracks I didn't know existed with any Ipod or Sony headphones on the market I've tried and I had one of those 100 dollar Ipod in ears before.

Take a look at Klipsch as well. They are supposed to be really good with the bass, some say overpowering.

http://www.headphones.com

Where are you going to listen to the Grado's at?

Progressive Audio down on high street. I spoke with them on the phone the other day and they carry a few from the line-up and they can be demo'd in the store.

I was pretty set on the SR125's or SR225's but they only come with a headphone jack for home-audio equipment and you have to use an adapter to get them to work with an ipod or other portible device.

Maybe the SR80's will work for my needs though. Only way to know is to go have a listen.

Progressive Audio down on high street. I spoke with them on the phone the other day and they carry a few from the line-up and they can be demo'd in the store.

I was pretty set on the SR125's or SR225's but they only come with a headphone jack for home-audio equipment and you have to use an adapter to get them to work with an ipod or other portible device.

Maybe the SR80's will work for my needs though. Only way to know is to go have a listen.

I hear they're real assholes there :D

Ask for Brad when you come in. He's an older guy who knows way more about them than anyone should.

Mike

President

Progressive Audio

I hear they're real assholes there :D

Ask for Brad when you come in. He's an older guy who knows way more about them than anyone should.

Mike

President

Progressive Audio

haha...small world. I'll be down this afternoon to have a listen. Where's the best place to park near the store?

Imnot a headphone audiophiles and reallyomly use them when I travel but the Bose noise caceling ones I have are great. Haven't tried the new version 3 unit but I did just contact Bowe regarding an upgrade prior to mu trip here to Cali.

To play off what Jones said, I picked up a cheap $29 pair of inner ear Koss and am blown away at them for the money. Bass is really nice and the seal out surrounding noise quite well yet are comfy. I may just live with these as the are so small and easy to carry.