Contract/ Landlord/Tenant Layer needed

Hwilli1647545487

My girlfriend has the Landlord from hell right now. The rental agreement states that the landlord handles Water/Electric/Gas. She has had the electric shut off once, two separate instances where the water was about to be shut off, and this morning no gas.

She is a student at OSU, and talked to the free lawyers there and they were of no help. The issue so far is, she goes through the process of sending the certified letter, and preparing to get her rent put into escrow with the clerk of courts. However by the time she completes this process the landlord fixes the issue.

The Landlord is not reasonable, and will not attempt to talk about these issue/remedy them. She sites that she is going through a divorce and has a ton of personal issues right now. The upstairs tenant hasn't had a stove since they moved in. The Landlord refused to fix it, so they started deducting a portion of their rent (which is incorrect). Instead of fixing it, the landlord is pursuing legal action against them.

Also when my GF first moved in, she had NO bathroom. The remodel wasn't finished, so she had to live some place else for a month (we were not dating at this time, or I would have told her not to move in at all)

Regardless, a recommendation is welcome.

Thanks,

Howard

I would tell your gf to find a new appt and move out. As a tenant she has rights too.

And if they try to take her to court to seek liquidated damages, it will get thrown out in a heartbeat.

Constructive evictions are almost impossible to prove against slumlords who know what they are doing. Her only option is to call the health dept. next time a utility is out.

Constructive evictions are almost impossible to prove against slumlords who know what they are doing. Her only option is to call the health dept. next time a utility is out.

Ok nm.

Then my next suggestion is to sign the landlord up for Miley Cyrus wakeup calls and spam their email address until they break.

My girlfriend has the Landlord from hell right now. The rental agreement states that the landlord handles Water/Electric/Gas. She has had the electric shut off once, two separate instances where the water was about to be shut off, and this morning no gas.

She is a student at OSU, and talked to the free lawyers there and they were of no help. The issue so far is, she goes through the process of sending the certified letter, and preparing to get her rent put into escrow with the clerk of courts. However by the time she completes this process the landlord fixes the issue.

The Landlord is not reasonable, and will not attempt to talk about these issue/remedy them. She sites that she is going through a divorce and has a ton of personal issues right now. The upstairs tenant hasn't had a stove since they moved in. The Landlord refused to fix it, so they started deducting a portion of their rent (which is incorrect). Instead of fixing it, the landlord is pursuing legal action against them.

Also when my GF first moved in, she had NO bathroom. The remodel wasn't finished, so she had to live some place else for a month (we were not dating at this time, or I would have told her not to move in at all)

Regardless, a recommendation is welcome.

Thanks,

Howard

Have you had any landlords you were in good with? I had a problem a few years back in Texas but I was friends with a lady who was a landlord and knew her job and all the laws well. She also gave me a handbook on all the laws, as well. With her help, I crushed my old landlord.

You may look into that or someone who knows a landlord, etc. You may also check the library for your gf's rights here in Ohio while you wait or look for better advice. Also, I hope your gf has been logging all these incidents. The more exact and accurate the dates, the better. As far as I'm concerned, her landlord has broken the contract multiple times already.

Have you had any landlords you were in good with? I had a problem a few years back in Texas but I was friends with a lady who was a landlord and knew her job and all the laws well. She also gave me a handbook on all the laws, as well. With her help, I crushed my old landlord.

You may look into that or someone who knows a landlord, etc. You may also check the library for your gf's rights here in Ohio while you wait or look for better advice. Also, I hope your gf has been logging all these incidents. The more exact and accurate the dates, the better. As far as I'm concerned, her landlord has broken the contract multiple times already.

I don't count? I co-managed a 150 unit complex for 4 years until my dad sold it (who had 30+ years in the business)

I say if it's in the contract, then deduct the cost of doing the things yourself from the rent payments, and there would be nothing she could do about it.

that's 100% illegal.

I don't count? I co-managed a 150 unit complex for 4 years until my dad sold it (who had 30+ years in the business)

No. Maybe a little. Ok, fine. ;)

that's 100% illegal.

True. There's a process.