np 242 transfer case on a Jeep.

Skinner

OK got this morning to do a oil change and t-case fluid change. went to open the fill plug on the t-case and it is frozen solid. soaked it in pb blaster and tapped on it with a hammer and it will not break loose. Its a 3/8 allen plug that is pretty chewed up so I don't want to make it worse. Need to know where I can take it and what it will cost to get it pulled and and replaced with a new one. The drain plug is fine just the fill plug is the issue.

here is a pic

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/smskinner/100_1822.jpg

Edited by Skinner

Guest Removed
its fubared.... and will be a mother fucker to get out...pretty sure i can get that out... but, only time will tell. might comer out easy, might not

its fubared.... and will be a mother fucker to get out...pretty sure i can get that out... but, only time will tell. might comer out easy, might not

I called and talked to Dana and she said you were busy but I could drop it off and have you look at it when you have time. Just don't have the time right now. Also rob what do you think it would cost to do. PM me if you like.

If you have access to a welder you could (carefully) probably tack weld a large bolt to the plug, then use the bolt to turn it.

I would consider that more of a last ditch option though.

the plug is not steel it softer like brass or aluminum. At this point I will probably get a 7/16 allen socket and see if I can hammer it on and give it a go if not will probably have to use a extractor or just drill and tap it for a new plug.

Guest Removed
If you have access to a welder you could (carefully) probably tack weld a large bolt to the plug, then use the bolt to turn it.

I would consider that more of a last ditch option though.

thats only if my remover wouldnt work :p

I called and talked to Dana and she said you were busy but I could drop it off and have you look at it when you have time. Just don't have the time right now. Also rob what do you think it would cost to do. PM me if you like.

yeah, we are rather busy.. did she tell you to bring it by saturday and leave it with me? thats the only way i could squeeze it in.

but you wont need to leave a knee or elbow ;)

Guest Removed
what is this remover that you speak of ?

some thing like these

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00EBNaIovFHTlH/Screw-Extractor-Damage-Screw-Remover.jpg