cooper park

undr_psi

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bruno, you should find that there is a lot of potential support here if the word is spread early like on the autox forums. I will keep an eye on the autox forums for the updates and spread to the rest of the local forums.

COS (central ohio subarus) should be in on this as well.....great active mature community over there.

COS is involved. ;)

No, last night, We couldnt make it, despite our efforts, but the last few meetings I have been involved with/ attended.

I can only motiviate my membership so far, and keep the threads updated with the info, as i receive it.

I was talking about the "Spotted" thread, it was a joke Trish. Thanks for supporting cooper park.

I hear you on the updates and will try to get word out ASAP. Again, for the moment please try to help spread the word regarding the Online Petition on CooperTalk. We are also reaching out to the BMX community as they are planning to create an Olympic Trials BMX racing venue at the site.

Thanks again,

Bruno

http://www.coopertalk.com

There was decent support last night from FOR and other individuals like me that want to see this happen. I was standing in the back, and noticed a couple of 30-something guys that nodded or gave me the "thumbs up" when I pointed at the screen showing Cooper Park plans. We weren't a vocal majority, but there were definitely car guys/gals there.

I noticed several "enthusiast" cars in the parking lot as well (BMW 135, Subarus, VWs, Mustang, Camaro, 3-series). It felt good knowing I wasn't the odd one out showing some sort of community support for CPX...

Just an update. If you haven't already seen or heard the news, Mayor Coleman has come out in opposition to Cooper Park.

Coleman, Ginther, SCA Take Stance on Cooper Park

The controversial racetrack redevelopment project proposed for the old Cooper Stadium site has just gained another opponent. Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman issued a statement today about his unhappiness with the current state of the project.

“While I support the prospect of new jobs on the West Side and renewed activity at Cooper Stadium, the developer has not done enough to satisfy the noise concerns of the surrounding neighborhoods, particularly Franklinton,” said Coleman.

Last week, the Cooper Park Complex gained unanimous approval by the Southwest Area Commission, taking it one step closer to reality.

“This proposal has received support from the Southwest Area Commission, and it is my understanding that the developer is working hard to earn Franklinton’s support as well,” continued Coleman. “However, until the developer does more to address the noise issue and receives significant support within the Franklinton community, I must withhold my support for this proposed redevelopment of Cooper Stadium.”

Ongoing discussion and debate on the Cooper Park Complex can be found on the Columbus Underground Messageboard.

More information about the redevelopment proposal can be found online at http://www.CooperParkComplex.com.

———————————————-

Below is the official response from the Southwest Civic Association:

“We are disappointed by the statement released today from the Mayor’s office. It appears the mayor has dismissed the value of the opinion of residents and businesses in the Southwest Area of Columbus. We have communicated our support clearly, and our support is much, much more than a unanimous vote for the project. We have invested nearly three years of time studying all the potential impacts of this development on the community at large. The leaders on our commission volunteered their time and performed in-depth due diligence, particularly on the noise issue. We held two lengthy community meetings to hear presentations by two acoustical sound consultants. After further research, we concluded that the acoustical consultants’ suggestion for two absorptive sound walls using state-of-the art materials will protect the residents and businesses in both the Southwest and Franklinton communities.

We don’t understand why the Mayor believes our community’s opinion is less important than that of Franklinton. Although we respect the vote taken by the Franklinton Area Commission, we believe it does not represent the opinions of the majority of residents, as demonstrated by those in attendance at meetings over the past three years. The Southwest Area Commission’s opinion should be given just as much creditability since this proposed development site is in the Southwest Area, adheres to the Southwest Area Plan and impacts the residents of this area equally to those residents of Franklinton. It is unfortunate that statements like this pit one community against another instead of working to unify area residents and provide an opportunity for long term positive growth and development in a part of Columbus that has not received a significant amount of attention from City leaders in recent years.

Although the Mayor did not attend the two acoustical consultants’ presentations, we assume he has read the reports. We therefore ask what he would recommend in addition to the recommendations made by the acoustical expert?

We also assume the mayor has read the Good Neighbor Agreement, a legally enforceable contract, which provides for much stricter penalties than the city’s own noise ordinance. What would he recommend be added to this agreement?

We believe the developer has demonstrated his commitment to doing this project in a beneficial manner consistent with the Southwest Area Plan. We look forward to meeting with the Mayor to discuss this project and our commitment to improve our community. We hope that once he understands the communities’ desires, our good neighbor agreement and the noise mitigation measures being undertaken by the developer he will support this project. ”

Stefanie Coe

President, Southwest Civic Association

———————————————-

Below is the official response from City Council President Andrew Ginther:

“The Cooper Park concept is an exciting proposal that has the potential to bring jobs, economic development and educational opportunities to Columbus. We look forward to the chance to hear from all sides when City Council takes up the issue and follows the established process for considering rezoning applications, a process which includes public input. We encourage the developer and neighborhood leaders to continue to work together to find a workable solution that addresses the concerns of area residents, charts a path for redevelopment and puts people to work in Franklinton.”

President Andrew J. Ginther

Columbus City Council

Not sure if the responses will make the Dispatch tomorrow - it will be interesting to see if they do.

Be aware that the Mayor has no official vote regarding the zoning application, but obviously is trying to pacify someone.

Bruno

link to the story: http://www.columbusunderground.com/mayor-coleman-takes-stance-against-cooper-park