Tuning expert: supercharge vs. turbocharge

Forrest Gump 9

This is for the tuners out there.

I have a car that is factory equipped with a supercharger. Stock it run 11psi of boost. With pulley kit, some people run up to 17psi of boost. Being a turbo addict, I'm thinking about converting my car to turbocharge. There are no known stand alone ECU options for my car, the only tuning option is flash. Everyone said that nobody will be able to tune my car because of the turbocharge. My thought is if the car can run 17psi of boost on a supercharger it will be able to run 14psi of boost on a turbo. Is my logic right? Thank you for your time.

David

Guest tbutera2112

Tons of Mustang terminator Cobra guys have twin turbo setups... so that makes me think it would be fine.

that makes no sense without knowing what kind of car it is.... not every car on the market uses ford software in their ecus

Guest Removed

type of car... im guessing a cobalt ss or something along those lines..

it could work, but you have to know someone that really knows that software. in order to get it right.. but flashing is flashing..

Guest tbutera2112

if its a cobalt, have fun..... tech II shit is horrible to mess with

i would think your best bet for that would be swap out ecu, wiring, and turbo parts off of a ss/tc onto your ss/sc

If it's a Cobalt, there are people already swapping the s/c for turbo's and tuning with HP Tuners. The turbo could be fun, and now with the turbo Cobalts, you could probably piece together a setup for a decent price (or pull stuff from a Saab 9-3).

Although, it seems like a lot of added complexity. I would probably just upgrade to a TVS1320 and call it a day. (if it's a Cobalt)

What kind of car is it?

Guest Removed
if its a cobalt, have fun..... tech II shit is horrible to mess with

i would think your best bet for that would be swap out ecu, wiring, and turbo parts off of a ss/tc onto your ss/sc

for some stuff you can change with the tech 2...

hp tuners does everyu thing else :p

I have many credit cards ;). The V12TT swap could be an option......

Pham I would stick witht he supercharger. By the time you get a kit together+Labor plus a custom tune you cold have bought another Evo. Trust me lol. I'am on mb world,org and Virturally noone gets into this for specific reasons. A turbo would be awesome trust me but I just dont think it would be worth the 15k min. you will have in it.

David,

I say turbocharge that bitch! It would be really cool and you should see some nice gains. But before you do you need to find out a few things. Go on E55 AMG forums and learn learn learn. Find out if someone else has done it before and what they did to do it. Find out what kind of power the motor will hold, if you need to do any internal upgrades, and ofcourse what everything is going to cost you, and compare that price and expected gain to other options.

Now for the tuning part, you will need to do a custom tune and you need to find someone who does it. I would start with these guys and see if they can do anything for you or point you in the right direction: http://www.eplabs.net/

One last piece of advice. German car people are a weird bunch and I can only imagine that most mercedes people are even worse. You get the ones that will try new things and try to be unique and better and different, but many of them will just tell you "aah why would you want to do that, just get this prefabbed kit for $120000000" because its been tested, its easy and money isnt a concern for most of them. So it sounds like you are going to be a bit of a pioneer.