Some people should not be parents

HAOLE

http://wcbstv.com/local/boy.stuffed.in.2.1695281.html

SHOCK: Naked Boy, 9, Stuffed In Oven As Punishment

Staten Island District Attorney: Dad Allegedly Burned Son's Hands On Top Before Sticking Him In Unlit Appliance

Reporting

John Slattery

NEW YORK (CBS) ―

Disturbing charges were filed Friday against a Staten Island father.

He was arrested for allegedly forcing his naked son into an unlit oven. He's also accused of burning the child on the stove.

The father, 52-year-old James Moss, lives in a town house in the Graniteville section of the borough, where police said he brutalized his naked son by putting him into an oven.

"Oh my God, I didn't hear that," one person said.

"Oh God, you serious?" another wondered.

Moss' wife said nothing as she drove into their garage Friday. Court papers said the child, named Christopher, had rummaged through his father's wallet and Moss responded by saying: "I'm going to burn you alive."

The complaint against the 6-foot-3, 270-pound father said he burned the boy's hands and put him into an un-lit oven.

Imagine, forcing a 9-year-old child to get inside an oven.

"The thought is chilling, really chilling," neighbor Jeanette Smith said.

The district attorney's complaint quotes Moss as saying, "My son stolen some money from my wallet, and I burnt him, and burn his hand on the stove."

The child, whose hands were allegedly held over burners for two minutes, suffered second and third degree burns. He was hospitalized.

One woman told CBS 2 HD she's a friend of Moss's wife.

"This has really been a bad tragedy. He's doing a little better," she said before slamming the door on us.

The entire ordeal is quite a surprise to neighbors, who said Moss has lived here for only about a year.

"You never know who your neighbors are, but there's no excuse for this," Smith said.

With Moss facing charges of assault and endangering the welfare of a child, neighbors said it just doesn't seem like enough.

Moss was released on $14,000 bail. The Administration for Children's Services is now investigating.