How to make CR better.

nurkvinny

1. Cookouts and car shows at parks/ etc would be nice.

2. Cruises would be nice.

3. Been thinking about a cookout/car show at my place here in marysville. I am 20 minutes from Dublin. I have plenty of parking and cool neighbors. I had a small gathering a while back after the roby car show and it went well and it was just on a short notice. I just need to get cought up on my work,the rain has really set me back and work out the details with the event coordinator.

the site is called columbus racing! and i dont see hardly anything here to do with racing!!! i know that there are CR track days but something else needs to happen also.. even odra is putting on a grudge race every 2weeks and that form is small! the form needs to be about racing or cars not how paul is gay or how phil is gay.

there needs to be more races and car meets with everyone. not a friday night im bored thing!

Wtf? Oh this site is gay. But the people are unbelievably helpful once you get them from behind the keyboard.

the site is called columbus racing! and i dont see hardly anything here to do with racing!!! i know that there are CR track days but something else needs to happen also.. even odra is putting on a grudge race every 2weeks and that form is small! the form needs to be about racing or cars not how paul is gay or how phil is gay.

there needs to be more races and car meets with everyone. not a friday night im bored thing!

I plan on posting when I am going to Trails to race and we shall see if anybody goes with. I want to make it up and check out one of these grudge races and take a bunch of pics as well.

My big problem is I can't do as much as I was planning to do for CR since I am back in school. There are some people who have came to me with good ideas but nothing ever comes of it.

If people want the culture to become better they will need to step from behind their keyboards, stop bitching about locations and events, and help out.

shit like this should be cleaned up

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80660

dude made a legit intro, with a clean car....he didnt post pics right away, so someone talked some shit, and then mob mentality kicked in even after pics were posted....i dont even know that noob, but how the hell are we supposed to grow if we treat new members this way?

Going forward I think the group of people who seem to bash noobs because they don't like their car are going to find it more difficult to do so in the future.

Consistency among mods. Example...If I am posting in the for sale section against a post and my post is off topic I will get booted. Someone else posts in the same thread off topic and they do not. All mods need to agree to enforce all or nothing.

People get booted for thread shitting, not being off topic. Members need to learn the rules and why they get booted.

Fair statement. Off topic may have been the wrong choice of words. Whats inconsistent is thread shitting by more than one person, but only one gets booted. Not speaking from experience, just saying that I have observed this for years and thats when we see the subsequent threads by those booted bashing mods or flaming threads that just creates drama.

1. more meets I really like the idea of having a weekly Friday or Saturday night get together I really dont care about where doesn't have to be sonic but its nice getting to talk cars and see everyone.

2. definitely more cookout type things at parks they could even turn in to an impromptu car show Iv noticed parents will stop with there kids to look at cars during like little meets for photo shoots or whatever.

3.A cr hosted car show try to get the word out so we can maybe charge entry fee and donate the money so we are making money off the cars entered and the people coming maybe get some food going at the show and maybe a local band? I'm sure we have some musicians on here turn it in to like a big deal car food music and so on.

4. and lastly cr autocross!!!!

Every thread that has thread shitting I think I have seen has almost an entire page of posts deleted when it's cleaned up. I would love to see an example of what you are speaking about.

I dont really post enough to have a good example for you. Im sorry about that. I have just seen in the past where friends may be shitting in each others thread, but for someone who may be a neutral party or not personally know the "shitters" so to speak may jump in thinking they are being serious (I understand that sometimes e-warriors may jump in deserve to get booted and I am not sticking up for anyone here) they tend to get repremanded, but not the thread shitters as they are friends.

I guess a good way to avoid that issue is to actually come out to meets and make friends...

I was just trying to think of ways to better protect those people who are not as familiar with people around here so that we can avoid the flaming "i hate this place" threads that tend to decrease morale. Just so we are clear I have no issues as I myself, am just a neutral party offering an objective pov.

1. more meets I really like the idea of having a weekly Friday or Saturday night get together I really dont care about where doesn't have to be sonic but its nice getting to talk cars and see everyone.

2. definitely more cookout type things at parks they could even turn in to an impromptu car show Iv noticed parents will stop with there kids to look at cars during like little meets for photo shoots or whatever.

3.A cr hosted car show try to get the word out so we can maybe charge entry fee and donate the money so we are making money off the cars entered and the people coming maybe get some food going at the show and maybe a local band? I'm sure we have some musicians on here turn it in to like a big deal car food music and so on.

There have been 2 CR car shows and there will be 2 more this summer...

I agree with this. I want to start making it back out and get to know new members and maybe see some old faces. Going to my first OhioVW meet I was shocked to see Clay there and from that got invited to CC&C. It was great. It's hard to meet up with CR though when it's spur of the moment and 1.5 hours away. I'm not saying bring it closer to C-ville, that's ridiculous. Just stating it's hard for me b/c I have to check the forums Friday or Saturday and THEN see if I'm free the day of. If it was set, as it use to be, it'd be a lot easier to schedule.

This also. The OhioVW photo shoot a couple saturdays back brought some attention. We all met at the Walmart on Rome Hilliard and had a few VW owners slip by and check out the gathering. We invited them in. One guy was with his wife and 2 kids and didn't stop, just smiled and waved. Another guy got out and talked for awhile before he had to leave. It was a very welcoming environment. Everyone was so chill. It was good to be a part of it.

This too. I will keep an eye out for them since there are gonna be 2. I'll try to schedule it in.

Again, I agree. Branching out of the 1/4 will broaden the member base I believe. Columbus Racing is one of my favorite car sites, although I fell off the map for awhile, because of it's diversity. A ton of different people from different walks of life with different cars and styles. Granted some people flame those they don't agree with but with a group of any size some of that will happen. To host events outside the strip will allow more members to be part of something. Diversity in the members, cars, AND racing styles.

I currently have a Jetta 1.8T. Sure I'm gonna do a few things (chip, TBE, etc) to make it quicker but it will never be an all out drag car. It will never hit 10's. I can however get my kicks with a "quick" little car and good suspenion setup at an autocross event.

Just my thoughts. I still love CR, even though there use to be mixed feelings about me and my car (The riced out Tercel with blue neons for those of you that may not remember), and hope nobody on here will hold a grudge against me for how I use to act or what I use to drive. Haha.

Here's to seeing everyone soon.

Here is my feedback. I have 10 years of experience managing an online community/forum so I am not talking completely out of my ass. ;)

1. Improve the front page (when you go to columbusracing.com)

Right now when you visit as a guest (or even a member) it is confusing. You have some info about current events then a link to the forum, plus other utility links and the calendar.

There needs to be something to explain what Columbus Racing is about, how new members gain access, a clear navigation menu, etc.

2. Customize the look

With plenty free and decent looking vBulletin skins out there, we should have a design that is a little more car-centric. It would not take much to install one and have the graphic talent here modify the header/rest of the look to be CR specific. You can even keep the default skin and let users choose which one they want to use.

On that same note -- install a mobile skin. With many people accessing the site while out and about at meets, etc. it would make sense. Yes, you can browse CR as-is with little issues. But a mobile skin would be nice.

3. Re-organize the forum categories

While there are a lot of knowledgeable and nice folks on CR, there is also a lot of bickering. (I did not visit the site all winter and it was refreshing to get away.) But look at the forum itself -- "The Romper Room" and "The "Oven" where you need to "prepare to get burned" nearly take top precedent over all other categories.

This is how it should be (a rough suggestion):

-- General Car Discussion --

The Passing Lane

Meetings and Events

Sub Forum to Meetings ----> CR Track Days

The Parking Lot

Photos & Video

New Member Intros

Combine FAQ/Announcements/Ask Shao into one category then have the rest of the forum pretty much how it is.

4. Allow embedded video

It is very easy to allow users to post YouTube videos. It is safe (especially with the closed nature of the forum) and I have been allowing it for years on my forum with no issues.

5. Streamline the events

Do one CR car show a year, one CR rally a year, then your track days as usual. Keep the details clear and consistent and watch your events grow every year.

Have the mods enforce keeping threads on topic: bans, deletions, ect.

Good threads get shit on quite often, +1 to this.

EDIT: Perfect example: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80545&page=2 posts 32-25

EDIT: Post 48, i like this, good job, http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79695&page=2

EDIT: Also...

3. Re-organize the forum categories

-- General Car Discussion --

The Passing Lane...................Car related

Meetings and Events..............Car related

Sub Forum to Meetings ----> CR Track Days..............Car related

The Parking Lot

Photos & Video..............Car related

New Member Intros

- Keep the Daily Ride

- "The Speed Trap" could even be moved here. Not many people post in it because its so far down the page, but people post about the Police and Speeding tickets and stuff all the time in OTHER sections, and thats what the description of the section says its for.

- I'd move the Romper Room, New Member Intros, and Parking lot into an "Off Topic" category

Combine FAQ/Announcements/Ask Shao into one category then have the rest of the forum pretty much how it is. +1 These just take up space

Edited by KStang3.8
  • Downvote 1

1. Cookouts and car shows at parks/ etc would be nice.

2. Cruises would be nice.

3. Been thinking about a cookout/car show at my place here in marysville. I am 20 minutes from Dublin. I have plenty of parking and cool neighbors. I had a small gathering a while back after the roby car show and it went well and it was just on a short notice. I just need to get cought up on my work,the rain has really set me back and work out the details with the event coordinator.

I'll be there:thumbup:

It would be nice to see more activity up this way. Doc's cookout last year in Deleware was perfect.

For everyone wanting more "Official CR" Events. The CR Dyno day is this saturday, and I just posted up the CR Cookout information. Information on both events can be found in the meetings and events section.

I am still working on the cruise, photo day, and car show. Information on those will be up soon. :)

Good threads get shit on quite often, +1 to this.

EDIT: Perfect example: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80545&page=2 posts 32-25

EDIT: Post 48, i like this, good job, http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79695&page=2

EDIT: Also...

UM the first thread you posted is Pauls car, you are a noob so you don't understand. Let's let the people who have been here for more than a couple of days talk about this topic OK? I don't want to see you post in this thread anymore. You have no experience being here, please don't speak like you do.