College Football - 2010

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the blue isn't great for the logo but the logo itself isn't awful. It'll work eventually. The division names though... Stars and Stripes and Bo and Woody were pretty cheesy I thought but either would have been better than this. I was really hoping they'd find a way to do geographical somehow. Great Plains division and Great Lakes division or just a simple east/west or north/south. This is a tragedy. Personally the divisions will just be "the one Ohio State is in" and "the other one" so it's not a huge deal but hearing these on telecasts and stuff is going to be like nails on the chalkboard.

The logo I can live with, and I kind of like how it can just be 3 characters now. I was reading some complaints by people, and their proposed designs were much much worse. Its almost like people are forgetting that those kinds of logos need to be simple enough to be easily printable on many many surfaces, and products. It can't be too elaborate.

Everything else ? Fucking dumb. The divisional names are as preposterous as they are pretentious. Legends and Leaders ??? GRRRRRRROOOOOAAAAAAAN.

I read someone else's suggestion that since we are known for smashmouth football that the divisional names be "Black and Blue", and then the logo could have a dark blue and black design.

I liked it a lot.

My only hope is that - like with the Gap backlash - the sheer amount of overwhelming negative publicity this is all getting forces them to change the names of the divisions.

Naming them East/West and North/South is fine, even if it means that a team or two is geographically out of place (e.g., Penn State being "West" or Minnesota being "South"). Think about Dallas - they play in the NFC "East." It will all be much, much better than this pretentiousness (as sol740 just eloquently pointed out).

I'm not so upset with the logo design as I am the color of the logo. Seriously, Carolina blue? How about no.

Jim Delany now officially considering renaming the divisions. YES ! See everybody, complaining can work. Now everyone back Mark Cuban and we're playoff bound.

Mark Cuban has absolutely no association with the NCAA. In other words, the people who make the decisions (University presidents) don't give a shit as to what he has to say.

Mark Cuban has absolutely no association with the NCAA. In other words, the people who make the decisions (University presidents) don't give a shit as to what he has to say.

However, if I understand things correctly, Cuban (and whoever helps him back the endeavor) is going to offer the Universities an X amount of dollars if they agree to participate in a playoff at the end of the season if they are chosen/make the playoff. Given enough money, the universities would likely listen. Schools are not obligated to participate in the bowls, if I'm not mistaken.

Whoa, awesome - link?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5930029

"I think we have enough experience with names, and expansion and development of divisions, to know that you never, rarely, get 90 percent approval rating," Delany said during the interview. "But to get a 90 percent non-approval rating was, you know, really surprising."

I seriously haven't found a single person yet who likes the names. Big 10, non-Big 10, no one. Just go East/West or North/South and be done with it.

North/South seems to make the most sense because Wisconsin would be the only team that wouldn't fit (would be South with OSU, PSU, Illinois, Indiana and Purdue). Going East/West means Illinois and Wisconsin wouldn't fit (would be East with the aforementioned teams) because both would be west of Michigan and Michigan St. Also, if we were in the South we'd have "southern speed."

Me either - the names seem to be universally unacceptable, except to the geniuses who came up with them in the first place.

I'm with you - East/West or North/South. It makes me want to scream when people try to say, "But, technically, team X isn't in the East/West/North/South." Ummmmm, we have a conference with 12 teams and have no problem calling it the Big 10. I think we're okay with things not being literally correct.

However, if I understand things correctly, Cuban (and whoever helps him back the endeavor) is going to offer the Universities an X amount of dollars if they agree to participate in a playoff at the end of the season if they are chosen/make the playoff. Given enough money, the universities would likely listen. Schools are not obligated to participate in the bowls, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe the current system is more beneficial for the large conferences. Plus they would have to get permission from the NCAA to play extra games. Cuban is a nobody when it comes to college athletics. A man with money who has influence would be someone like T. Boone.

Correct, also he stated he would be avoiding university presidents that already publicly oppose (aka reap the benefits of the current system) by going straight to the major donors, and convincing them instead.

Also one must keep in mind that very few schools currently turn a profit off of football, we just happen to live in a state with a major university that does. Seeing as how estimates of the overall profitability of a playoff are around 5 times what the BCS generates, that's a lot of potential money getting thrown around to schools that could very much use it, especially in the current economic climate.

Plenty of other reasons outside of revenue generation. Want to see an SEC team play in the snow ? For the students and fans that want to attend games post-season games, if your team earns home games, no more travel, hotels, plane tickets, and mini-vacations for a single exhibition game. No more barely filled stadiums or university's losing money, when they are forced to front ticket sales for bowls. I would seriously doubt the likelihood of any Div1 post season game not being sold out.

There's plenty of worthwhile angles to work. I don't see it as being likely per se, but being the fan of college football that I am, any real chance I see at a positive competitive change I get excited for. It is also nice having a person say he's willing to back it personally, and actually having the available funds to do so.

Oh on a side note, tOSU just stole a Florida commit last night. OLB Ryan Shazier decommited from Florida yesterday morning, visited tOSU that afternoon and commited here last night. I'll take any sort of shot at Florida I can get due to the ass whooping we took lol.

On a side note, the bowl games are getting ridiculous. There is a GoDaddy.com bowl for gods sake. The New Mexico Bowl is on right now if anyone is interested in watching UTEP vs BYU. 33 bowl games in total, thats 66 of 118 teams playing in bowl games. I think they should make it to where you need 7 or 8 wins to get in a bowl game and have less bowl games.

Think it's 120 teams in FBS now but 66 is still more than half of the field and that's ridiculous.

Also, I posted some stuff about Shazier about a week ago in this thread...

Good news for OSU in all of this is current Florida commit Ryan Shazier was thinking about visiting a week or so ago but Florida said if he visited he'd be done with Florida and his mom didn't like that so he didn't visit. Luckily OSU happened to be at Shazier's school today visiting his teammate (and OSU commit) Jeremy Cash. Meyer steps down, Shazier gets an official visit set up for next week. Probably going to switch to OSU. And it could mean OSU also ends up with another Florida kid, Jabari Gorman. Then it improves our chances with 2-3 other kids as well. Pretty big effect this could end up having on us.

Shazier announced last night at his graduation party (graduated already and enrolling at OSU early) and several other recruits were out at dinner with the staff when Shazier called to let Tressel know so it was announced to all the other recruits at the dinner so it gave off a good vibe. Have a couple 5-star kids on visits this weekend and one of them was thought to be a big-time Florida lean so maybe the Shazier news will have an effect on him too.

In my travels recently I was passing through Nebraska and while stopped off in Grand Island I ran into a guy who was a displaced Spartan living there and started conversation with me upon noticing my OSU garb.

The conversation fell quickly to the new Big 10 and Nebraska joining, he mentioned that most Cornhusker fans were not happy about joining the Big 10. I asked why of course and he said most fans out there believe it will be "Too easy" for them and the Big 10 is a weak conference, they're under the belief that they will steamroll the Big 10 year after year.

Personally I'm not too surprised by this considering most people believe the Big 10 is a weak conference but I think Cornhusker fans are in for a big surprise next year though I guess its not easy to have that kind of change for fans.

Thoughts??

I haven't run into any Nebraska fans in their right mind who think that, at least on the internets. They'll be tough for us in Lincoln next season though.

Also, we lost associate head coach and WR coach Darrell Hazell to Kent State. A lot of people think he was really the ONLY aggressive offensive mind on the staff. Be interesting to see how the staff shuffles and who ends up getting a spot on it as a result.

I've always heard that Nebraska fans are amongst the best - if not THE best - college football fans in the country. It would be, I think, out of character (given what I know about Nebraska fans) for a Nebraska fan to say something like that. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.

My impression is that Nebraska fans are grateful for the opportunity to come to the Big 10 and expect to be competitive, hope to win, but certainly don't expect to own the conference. BTW, Nebraska's Big 10 schedule next year is like murderer's row.

Catching up...

The Division names are retarded. That they are thinking about changing them makes me smile. I would even be happier with "Great Lakes" and "Plains" divisions. The Big Ten logo is stupid as well. I mean, seriously. I could Mario Paint some shit more interesting than that in like 15 minutes.

Now that I am done bashing Delaney, allow me to wax rhapsodic about the fact that it was him that spearheaded the push that ended up landing us Nebraska, and he also has been pushing to get ND (as awesome a thought as it used to be, I know) since he got the job. We will see how all this bears out over time, but right now, given how the teams involved performed this year, I would say that last years conference re-shuffling winners are definitely the Big Ten. I mean, maybe I can forgive the logo when I think of that.

Nebraska is not going to run over this conference. They WILL be competitive, though.

I've always heard that Nebraska fans are amongst the best - if not THE best - college football fans in the country. It would be, I think, out of character (given what I know about Nebraska fans) for a Nebraska fan to say something like that. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.

My impression is that Nebraska fans are grateful for the opportunity to come to the Big 10 and expect to be competitive, hope to win, but certainly don't expect to own the conference. BTW, Nebraska's Big 10 schedule next year is like murderer's row.

Yeah, Nebraska doesn't get to skip any of the big boys, their division or not.

And from what I've seen most Nebraska fans are thrilled to be in the Big 10 now because they don't have to deal with Texas. Not so much on the field (although losing to 5-7 Texas this year was pretty embarrassing) but off it. Texas has been holding that conference and its members hostage for years and that's why so many have left or are still looking to leave. Nebraska will be getting a lot more money in the Big 10 from TV deals and whatnot than Texas would have ever let them in the Big 12. The smart Nebraska fans understand that.

Many believe Hazell going to Kent St is a precursor for him becomming the head coach at tOSU eventually. Many people feel that he and Luke Fickell are the canidates to replace tressell when he decides to leave. I don't think that matters for atleast another 5 years as I don't see Tress going anywhere anytime soon.