College Football - 2010

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oklahoma #1??? Fuck that!

I think Oklahoma deserves it honestly. Let's be honest, Boise will not (and SHOULD not) be taken seriously until they join a real conference. I have no comment about Oregon because I have hardly seen them play at all this year

Boise should be taken seriously. Again how many times do they have to prove people wrong in order to gain respect. If they win out they will be in the NCG. I think Oklahoma loses to either Missouri or Nebraska, Oregon will lose a game late this year. Boise St/TCU NCG FTW!!!

BTw OSU isn't totally out of the race just yet either lol. Remember 2007 when they lost to Illinois and were all but finished. Teams ahead of OSU still play each other, ala LSU vs Auburn this upcoming weekend. Theres a lot of football left to play. I do not want to see and do not think OSU should be in the NCG but its still possible.

I agree with you LJ, Posey has been shit all year long. Sanzenbacher has proven yet again that he is the best WR tOSU has.

Iowa's OL is no where near good enough to do to us what Wisconsin did. That game is absolutely still winnable.

Boise St. can match with the elite in the country on a one game basis but to even be considered for the national title they need to either join a BCS conference where they will play equal talent on a weekly basis or we need to go to a playoff.

And to the guy saying we need to consider a coaching change... really? Really? Should Bama be looking for a new coach because they lost to South Carolina? Should Florida be looking for a new coach because they're on a 3 game losing streak? Should Texas be looking for a new coach because they're having a down season? These are the elite programs in the country, along with us, and none of them are perfect. Who would you want to hire? All of those guys I listed apparently can't get the job you expect done either so who do you want?

Boise St. can match with the elite in the country on a one game basis

I wouldn't even go that far. Other than their Fiesta Bowl win against OU in 2007, when have they EVER defeated an "elite" opponent? And don't give me that TCU or Virginia Tech nonsense.

I've been a way for a while, so I haven't caught up on the entire thread - instead, I was lazy and just read the past few posts. But I wanted to comment on Boise State.

I'll be the first to say that Boise State can play with any team in a one-game-type scenario. They have the very real potential to beat Oregon, Ohio State, Alambama, whoever.

However, I take a bit of issue with the fact that people claim that, because Boise beat Virginia Tech and Oregon State that it somehow legitimizes their claim to play in the NCG. Put it this way: if Ohio State beat Virginia Tech in the first game of this year, would everyone be saying, "Ohio State deserves to play in the NCG - look they beat Virginia Tech!!1!" - ? I don't think anyone would. Yet, a lot of people are saying that about Boise. It's failed logic to me. :confused:

Ohio State hasn't played a murderers row of teams this year either. I mean seriously,

Toledo, Eastern Michigan.....

BTW Auburn goes down this week lol, 4 weeks in a row can it/will it happen?

First, I didn't claim Ohio State deserved to be in the NCG. I only said that people won't automatically qualify them for NCG status if they beat Virginia Tech like some were when Boise State did.

Second, Ohio State plays in the Big Ten, which is considerably more difficult than the WAC. Toledo and Eastern Michigan are about as difficult as most conference teams in the WAC.

Third, I agree - they haven't really played a hard schedule. The implication there is that maybe Ohio State's lack of competition caused them to be unprepared for the adversity at Wisconsin. I tend to think it didn't, but it's plausible. Miami was ranked fairly highly ranked and thought of highly when they came to Columbus - in fact, a lot of pundits were calling for Miami to win that game.

Ohio State hasn't played a murderers row of teams this year either. I mean seriously,

Toledo, Eastern Michigan.....

We didn't play Toledo this year (Boise did though lol) but I get your point. But that's our OOC schedule. The difference between Boise and Ohio State, Alabama, Wisconsin, Oregon, etc. is that these teams in big boy conferences have to face talent much closer to their own on a weekly basis. Boise St. gets to play 1-2 "big" games OOC then their conference is equivalent to the teams that BCS teams get criticized for scheduling in their OOC...lol. The Big 10 has a couple doormats at most every year and they still have a couple future NFL players on them. The WAC has 1-2 good teams then a bunch of doormats every year with a bunch of teams with no one who will be pursuing a career in football after college.

BCS schools, for the most part, schedule about 3 games a year against just plain bad teams then maybe pick up a game or 2 in conference that should be absolute gimmes. Boise St. schedules 1-2 games a year against decent teams then pick up about 7-8 gimmes in conference.

I wouldn't even go that far. Other than their Fiesta Bowl win against OU in 2007, when have they EVER defeated an "elite" opponent? And don't give me that TCU or Virginia Tech nonsense.

I'm no Boise apologist. That being said, who exactly is "elite?" They handled Oregon pretty good last year - an Oregon team that stomped on everyone else except (and everyone since) Ohio State. Also, they handled Oregon State this year. Are Oregon and Oregon State elite? I dunno, that's debatable. But I know they aren't doormats.

We didn't play Toledo this year (Boise did though lol) but I get your point. But that's our OOC schedule. The difference between Boise and Ohio State, Alabama, Wisconsin, Oregon, etc. is that these teams in big boy conferences have to face talent much closer to their own on a weekly basis. Boise St. gets to play 1-2 "big" games OOC then their conference is equivalent to the teams that BCS teams get criticized for scheduling in their OOC...lol. The Big 10 has a couple doormats at most every year and they still have a couple future NFL players on them. The WAC has 1-2 good teams then a bunch of doormats every year with a bunch of teams with no one who will be pursuing a career in football after college.

BCS schools, for the most part, schedule about 3 games a year against just plain bad teams then maybe pick up a game or 2 in conference that should be absolute gimmes. Boise St. schedules 1-2 games a year against decent teams then pick up about 7-8 gimmes in conference.

im confused, if OSU and other teams play against competition of equal level, then doesn't that mean Boise St does the same and then some? Just a little confused here. Who in the big 10 realistically has the same level of talent as OSU? Wisconsin on paper doesn't, how are you basing your "talent level" expertese? Also your right Idk why I said Toledo I meant OU. Boise has only been playing football in D1 since 1996, unlike most other schools that haev 100 years of tradition to build upon. Their record since 1999 is undeniable 93-17 with 1 home loss, yes 1. No one wants to goto Boise and play them because they are scared. They issued an open challenge to any team in the country and got 0 replies. I know I sound like a nutswinger, I just think they play good football and let their playing speak for its self. I don't care who they play, the level of competition is equal for them.

They have 0 5 star recruits currently on their roster, Hell they only signed 10 kids this past recruiting class and 1 was a Juco transfer. Now take that into comparison to the "big boys" who sign 24-32 a year. They are simply doing a lot more with a lot less, you cannot argue that. Over the past five years, BSU has offered 16 to 21 scholarships per year with the lone exception being 2007 when they awarded 30 scholarships. Btw they have won 6 of 9 bowl games they have been in. The stats do not lie

No one wants to goto Boise and play them because they are scared.

I can be on board with most of what you said with the glaring exception of this. I think it's all about money, not about being scared. Why doesn't Ohio State go play Ohio University in Athens? I'm fairly sure it's not because Ohio State is scared of Ohio Univerity...

I can be on board with most of what you said with the glaring exception of this. I think it's all about money, not about being scared. Why doesn't Ohio State go play Ohio University in Athens? I'm fairly sure it's not because Ohio State is scared of Ohio Univerity...

This is true. Nebraska contacted Boise about doing a home/home/home with them and Boise demanded $1 million from Nebraska for each game. Nebraska laughed and hung up the phone.

This is true. Nebraska contacted Boise about doing a home/home/home with them and Boise demanded $1 million from Nebraska for each game. Nebraska laughed and hung up the phone.

Ha, yup - if Boise wants to be considered amongst the "big boys," then they have to do as the big boys do: you do a home/home and no one gets money on either end to do it. Think Ohio State paid Texas or USCw or Miami to do a home/home or vice versa? Boise needs a reality check in that department.

I'm no Boise apologist. That being said, who exactly is "elite?" They handled Oregon pretty good last year - an Oregon team that stomped on everyone else except (and everyone since) Ohio State. Also, they handled Oregon State this year. Are Oregon and Oregon State elite? I dunno, that's debatable. But I know they aren't doormats.

I personally haven't seen enough of Oregon to make such a judgment, so I guess I'll leave it at that. Don't get me wrong, I do think Boise is a good team; I just don't think they deserve "elite" respect until they join a real conference and actually play a respectable schedule, which is something they have never come close to doing.

Ha, yup - if Boise wants to be considered amongst the "big boys," then they have to do as the big boys do: you do a home/home and no one gets money on either end to do it. Think Ohio State paid Texas or USCw or Miami to do a home/home or vice versa? Boise needs a reality check in that department.

Truth!

Umm you do know that Ohio U got 800k to come to Columbus and take an ass whooping this year right, so yeah they do pay money...

Colorado is getting 1.4million from OSU next year

Cincy got 1 million after a buyout

"Recently, Ohio State opted to take a buyout of the 2012 road game. Boldly, Cincinnati AD Mike Thomas and Head Coach Brian Kelly negotiated to keep the game, but Ohio State will now pay the Bearcats $1 million to play the game in Columbus. Kelly said of the situation, "You know how I feel, I'll play anybody, anywhere, anyplace. My philosophy has always been that we need to play Ohio State. If they don't want to play here, I'll play them in a parking lot in Xenia."

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who follows Ohio State or college football. Yes they are being pansies, but as long as the voters are going to keep rewarding them for mediocrity, why do they need to schedule tough road games, or tough games period? This past season BCS teams were paid $19 million(enough to pay Cincy back its $1M), if OSU has a chance to risk little and still play in a BCS game then why should they play anyone.

Wake up voters! This team has not proved a thing in 3 years. Champions of the state of Ohio maybe, but National Championship caliber? They have proven otherwise."

Oh and if Nebraska can't pony up the Million bucks to pay boise maybe they shouldn't have responded in the first place

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2008-06-11-college-guarantees_N.htm

Umm you do know that Ohio U got 800k to come to Columbus and take an ass whooping this year right, so yeah they do pay money...

Colorado is getting 1.4million from OSU next year

Cincy got 1 million after a buyout

"Recently, Ohio State opted to take a buyout of the 2012 road game. Boldly, Cincinnati AD Mike Thomas and Head Coach Brian Kelly negotiated to keep the game, but Ohio State will now pay the Bearcats $1 million to play the game in Columbus. Kelly said of the situation, "You know how I feel, I'll play anybody, anywhere, anyplace. My philosophy has always been that we need to play Ohio State. If they don't want to play here, I'll play them in a parking lot in Xenia."

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who follows Ohio State or college football. Yes they are being pansies, but as long as the voters are going to keep rewarding them for mediocrity, why do they need to schedule tough road games, or tough games period? This past season BCS teams were paid $19 million(enough to pay Cincy back its $1M), if OSU has a chance to risk little and still play in a BCS game then why should they play anyone.

Wake up voters! This team has not proved a thing in 3 years. Champions of the state of Ohio maybe, but National Championship caliber? They have proven otherwise."

Oh and if Nebraska can't pony up the Million bucks to pay boise maybe they shouldn't have responded in the first place

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2008-06-11-college-guarantees_N.htm

From your own article

Contests between powers such as Ohio State and Southern California, who play in September in Los Angeles, are typically home-and-home deals with each team keeping the bulk of its own gate.

And buyouts are not the same thing. Buyouts make sense because the team that was orig the home team won't be getting the gate revenue, the buyout is typcally close to gate

[

Boise claimed they would play anyone, anywhere, so Nebraska called them up and said "hey let's play" and Boise said "sure, you pay us $1 million per game"

Don't get me wrong, I do think Boise is a good team; I just don't think they deserve "elite" respect until they join a real conference and actually play a respectable schedule, which is something they have never come close to doing.

Agreed completely.