College Football - 2010

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who exactly would want to go to Boise? Answer: no one. It's a small stadium in a city that isn't exactly high up on a list of must-see places and they have turf that is annoying to a lot of people.

Further, Boise is a classic no-win situation: if, say, Ohio State goes to Boise and beats the shit out of them, then everyone says, "Ohio State should have done that." However, if, for some reason, they lose, then all hell breaks loose.

A few thoughts:

I haven't read the BCS rules in a bit, but is there anything forbidding two teams from the same conference from facing each other in a BCS bowl? Like, for instance, Michigan State and Ohio State in the Rose Bowl? Would anyone want to see that even if it was allowable?

Maybe this is the SEC hater in me coming out, but why is the national media annointing Cam Newton the Heisman winner? Is it because everyone thinks the SEC is god and that Cam is the best player on the best team (right now) in the SEC, and thus that means he MUST be the Heisman winner? Someone help me understand.

SEC hating part deux: why all the fucking love to Alabama? They haven't done anything since getting handled my South Carolina, yet somehow they're creeping way up into the BCS rankings and are being talked about as a legitimate contender. Meanwhile, Ohio State has had a similar season - we've beat a bunch of nobody's too and then got handled pretty good on the road by a ranked opponent - yet we get banished from the top 10. Again, help me understand here.

I do not believe there is a rule about it but people would throw a fit and financially it doesn't make sense.

Ohio State is going to have a very difficult time winning out. They have Penn St which is tough no matter what, Iowa at Iowa which is not an easy place to play (ask MSU) and Michigan which manages to be a good game no matter what. If OSU wins out I will be surprised.

Teams from the major conferences have 1 automatic BCS birth. There's no way we can play another big ten team in the BCS game unless its for the National Championship.

Cam is beating up whats perceived to be the best teams in the country. Him putting up 200 yards on the ground against an LSU defense is perceived by many to be a bigger deal than Denard Robinson doing the same thing against a Minnesota defense. What he did against LSU was damn impressive and imo made him the front runner. Its exactly the way I hoped TP would have come out this year.

Miami losing last week kept us out of the BCS top 10. Its the only reason we're not in there. Alabama gets love bc of running the table, in whats perceived as the best conference in the country, last year and bringing back a majority of their big hitters this year. There's no doubting they have mad talent they got their asses kicked against a solid SC team. See what Florida did a few years ago when Captain America vowed to carry the team on his back and win a championship. If Oregon, Auburn, and Boise State run the table they become a sad runner up anyhow. The media can hype all they want, they have 1 loss. Unless the rest of the undefeateds start losing there's not much controversy.

I do not believe there is a rule about it but people would throw a fit and financially it doesn't make sense.

Ohio State is going to have a very difficult time winning out. They have Penn St which is tough no matter what, Iowa at Iowa which is not an easy place to play (ask MSU) and Michigan which manages to be a good game no matter what. If OSU wins out I will be surprised.

I agree that people would throw a fit about tOSU and MSU playing in a BCS bowl.

I don't totally agree that it wouldn't make sense financially. Why wouldn't it? Ohio State is about as big a draw on TV as anyone (except for maybe Notre Dame), and I know they travel as well as anyone - so ticket sales would be fine. But are you thinking it wouldn't be as big a draw as say, Ohio State versus Stanford/Alabama/Boise State? I guess I could agree and disagree there.

I agree that Iowa will be a difficult game. I'm not too worried about Penn State or Michigan, but I'm inclined to agree with your assessment that they are usually tough games, regardless.

Teams from the major conferences have 1 automatic BCS birth. There's no way we can play another big ten team in the BCS game unless its for the National Championship.

Cam is beating up whats perceived to be the best teams in the country. Him putting up 200 yards on the ground against an LSU defense is perceived by many to be a bigger deal than Denard Robinson doing the same thing against a Minnesota defense. What he did against LSU was damn impressive and imo made him the front runner. Its exactly the way I hoped TP would have come out this year.

Miami losing last week kept us out of the BCS top 10. Its the only reason we're not in there. Alabama gets love bc of running the table, in whats perceived as the best conference in the country, last year and bringing back a majority of their big hitters this year. There's no doubting they have mad talent they got their asses kicked against a solid SC team. See what Florida did a few years ago when Captain America vowed to carry the team on his back and win a championship. If Oregon, Auburn, and Boise State run the table they become a sad runner up anyhow. The media can hype all they want, they have 1 loss. Unless the rest of the undefeateds start losing there's not much controversy.

Yeah, I know each of the AQ conferences get 1 automatic berth in the BCS, and I know (or at least I think I know) that only two teams maximum per AQ conference are allowed in the BCS (e.g., three teams from the Big 10 can't all be in BCS bowls the same year). However, is there rule that prevents the BCS from pitting a two teams from the same conference in a non-championship BCS bowl game? For instance, let's say that Wisconsin loses a game and gets thrown out of the mix and Ohio State and MSU win out. Now, is there a rule stopping the, say, Rose Bowl, from taking Ohio State (as the automatic bid from the Big 10) and then taking MSU as an at-large?

I can't say I disagree with anything you said on Cam. Maybe I'm just jealous TP isn't doing the same/getting the same love.

I agree with you on the other stuff you said about Alabama, etc. I guess I'm just jealous there too.

I bet I wouldn't be as upset over this SEC stuff if Ohio State hadn't got manhandled in the two championship games against SEC opponents.

2 teams from the same conference cannot play in the NCG , hence why OSU vs Michigan part 2 didnt happen in 06, instead Florida went and destroyed OSU :(

Cam Newton is a fucking joke, I am so tired of hearing about him. He is no fucking Tim Tebow, so the media needs to stop with that comparison right now. Tebow has 2 national titles and a heisman, along with damn near every record in SEC history. Newton will be a good pro, at WR. Has anyone actually seen him throw the ball, they are lame ducks 80% of the time. Wait til they play Bama and get rolled (no pun intended) by the tide. Then all that heisman talk with cease to be.

Pryor has much better stats then Newton plain and simple, and thats playing behind a coach who calls plays worse then most pop warner level coaches. The one advantage that Newton has, is his head coach turns his loose and lets him play free. In my opinion Pryor looks really uptight playing for Tress, its almost as if he is playing nervously, trying to be perfect so he doesnt get his ass tore up by Tress. I think there has only been 1 game this year that Tress has given Pryor a "winning effort", notice how Pryor doesn't have many Buckeye leaves on his helmet...

The media, mainly ESPN has such a love affair with the SEC because they have a contract with the SEC. I don't care what school your playing for, if your playing D1 level college ball, your pretty damn good. I don't buy into the whole "the sec has better talent shit", lets see that SEC talent come up northin in late November, and then we will talk. It doesn't help that they have produced the last what, 4-5 national champions, until someone knocks them off the high horse they will be looked upon as the greatest conference.

The team I am really tired of hearing about is Oregon. Sure they have a playstation type offense, but remember this is the same Oregon team that had its ass handed to them by the Buckeyes. Actually I say they are not even as good as last years team due to a different starting qb. Say what you want, but Masoli is a better qb then the kid they have now. They are bound to choke anyways, just like Michigan St was expected to do. I say Oregon St beats Oregon

Newtons Stats vs Pryors and Robinson

Passing

Newton: 108Completions 162 Attempts 1573Yards 15TD 5INT 172.6 Rating

Pryor: 152Completions 225 Attempts 1997Yards 20TD 7INT 165.2 Rating

Robinson: 108Completions 186 Attempts 1509Yards 10TD 5INT 155.3 Rating

Rushing

Newton: 168Carries 1122Yards 6.7YPC 14TD

Pryor: 84 Carries 463Yards 5.5YPC 4TD

Robinson: 164 Carries 1287Yards 7.8YPC 12TD

**Pryor has been taken out in the 3rd quarter in over half of the games played this year, while Newton has stayed into the 4th in most of his games**

If you are really bored, take a look at this and see where Newton Ranks amongst QB's nationally

Not in the top 40 in passing yards..which is kind ofi mportant for a QB

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing

2 teams from the same conference cannot play in the NCG , hence why OSU vs Michigan part 2 didnt happen in 06, instead Florida went and destroyed OSU :(

There's not actually a rule against that. It just didn't happen because the people lobbying against a rematch did a better job than the people lobbying for it.

The thing that keeps a Big 10 vs. Big 10 matchup happening outside of the national title game is that, at least this year, the Rose Bowl has to take a qualifying non-AQ team if a Big 10 or Pac 10 team gets pulled into the title game. So say Wisconsin or Michigan State go to the Rose Bowl and Oregon is in the national title game and Ohio State gets an at-large berth. Wiscy/MSU will play TCU, Utah or Boise (whoever ends up requiring a spot) this year. Ohio State would end up in the Fiesta or Sugar.

That is the last time I bet on Florida, lol.

John Brantley really is terrible. I wish they would let Jordan Reed take every snap, as he is clearly better than Brantley and Burton. I'm so sick of this three-QB bullshit

I think Georgia was my 5th loss, and it took OT and a field goal to beat them, so my prediction was pretty damn close

Just like Illinois was my 6th loss for Michigan, so I should be pretty damn close on that call too