Still Trying to figure out alcohol laws...

So the Ohio code reads that you cannot operate a boat with a BAC over .08, same as a car, great, makes sense and I get it.... we don't want smashed morons running their boats into ours.

What I can't find anywhere is what constitutes "operating." If at anchor for six hours, and a boater is on water that doesn't prohibit the presence of alcohol, can he be legally over 0.08 while at anchor? Or will the enforcement demand that "someone" be the operator, or that the "owner" be the operator?

What IS the deal yo.... :p

I ask because I was told people never saw any enforcement on Alum, and just this weekend Linn walked up while they were inspecting my boat for all the essentials (it pays to be prepared and not have your day ruined by a stupid ticket). They didn't search the boat for contraband or anything, just a "voluntary" inspection of all the required safety gear. Oh yeah, and it was only noted as "voluntary" after it was over.

So I'm just trying to figure out the real deal. I know Alum = State Park = "No Alcohol" but a ticket for the presence of alcohol vs a "BUI" and not operating for a year are rather different situations.

Here's what I got back from another Alum boater who's been going there for 20 years:

>>>

Cans only and have everyone be discreet about it. Obviously, the moron brother-in-law can't stand up in the back and let out a rebel yell at the watercraft officers while hoisting his beer at them. I've only been checked twice for safety stuff since 1989, they never looked into the cooler. Like any other law enforcement....they need probable cause to dig into your shit. A violation, an accident or a complaint, then if they smell alcohol on your breath, bloodshot eyes...it's their discretion from there.

People raft up and drink all the time in the boaters coves....they'll only mess with you if you give em a reason. Keep the beer cans in coolies and just be discreet....especially if they are driving by.

>>>

Yeah can beer is the wrong thing to do. Going to be out this weekend at all?

+1. my dad's been boating for 30yrs and he uses plastic cups, like the red/blue ones you buy at the store, disposable ones. Keep can beer cold in cooler, open/pour into cup, easy peasy

Yeah, I believe he made the comment years back to me that if anyone starts hassling us to just be like oops, and drop it over the side of the boat, beer disappears and you just grab the now clean cup so they can't get you on littering. :D