Reason to NOT use Redline in my Tranny and Diff.

AudiOn19s

So it's time to do fluids again in the M3...well not really but I'm a big believer in fluids much more frequently than it's required.

I've been running Redline in all the driveline components of that car since I bought it 5 years ago. As with everything on the internet I seem to be reading more and more hate threads on Redline fluids. Problem is I'm not sure what's going to be any better. I'm NOT a fan of Royal Purple. My brother used their syncromesh in his M3 and was not impressed.

I looked at Amsoil as a possibility as that's what I'm using for motor oil in the E55 and the A4 but it's hard to find any feedback on anything but their engine oil. Doesn't appear their gear oils have much of a following. Plus with the Amsoil I'd have to run a friction modifier for the LSD in the gear oil where it's already present in Redline.

Are there others out there that I'm missing or have shown to be better than Redline, or should I go with the Redline as I personally have Zero complaints in 5+ years of use in that car.

Andy

If you have no personal reason to believe it's causing any harm, why change it ?

Do you have a magnetic drain plug? Do you notice more metal than before ?

No matter what product you pick, you will find a group of people hating on it. With the wide amount of variation between vehicles, the drivers and maintenance it's impossible to get an accurate cross-section.

FWIW, JHM is very big in the VW/AUDI scene and builds trannies and custom clutch kits ect. They are huge on Redline products and have had great success with it. I just switched out to Redline in the A4's 6spd /rear end ect. and It definitely shifts better than it ever has.

The saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind. If you personally have good luck in ur applications then I would say stick with it.

Has there been complaints on it just recently (mabey they changed something in the product for the worse)?

There's nothing wrong with it, I have no complaints, no oil or other debris in the fluids last time I flushed, but I'm always open to using something better if there's data to back up why something might be better. That's what lead me to using Redline in the first place.

Based on my research I'm not sure anything better exists. Even on the M3 boards where people bitch about the Redline there's no quantifiable reason. Only failure related issue was in a 3 series race car that used MTL instead of the suggested D4 ATF. (there's a huge argument over which is better / correct for the application).

There's nothing wrong with it, I have no complaints, no oil or other debris in the fluids last time I flushed, but I'm always open to using something better if there's data to back up why something might be better. That's what lead me to using Redline in the first place.

Based on my research I'm not sure anything better exists. Even on the M3 boards where people bitch about the Redline there's no quantifiable reason. Only failure related issue was in a 3 series race car that used MTL instead of the suggested D4 ATF. (there's a huge argument over which is better / correct for the application).

Then go get yourself some new product and go to town. :D

I am personally going to be running the Torco brand fluid in my transmission. Everything I read online about redline was that it was junk, however if your having good luck with it then might as well stick with it. The torco fluid is not cheap and only 1 place in Ohio carries the shit. Its 16-18bucks a liter before shipping....

BG Synchroshift

BG-Synchro_m.jpg

My VR4 was very picky when it came to trans fluid, and BG Synchroshift was the only one that made an noticeable difference.

For my land rover I got Red Line for the diffs, I am a fan of their motor oil.

5 years of problem free operation. Your own testimonial should be the answer to your question. If Redline diff oil has worked that well for that long in an M3, I wouldn't try to reverse engineer opinions off of like the Honda forum. I've used redline oil in diffs and never had problems.

BG Synchroshift

BG-Synchro_m.jpg

My VR4 was very picky when it came to trans fluid, and BG Synchroshift was the only one that made an noticeable difference.

For my land rover I got Red Line for the diffs, I am a fan of their motor oil.

+1

I researched for months on the best trans/ gear fluid for my spec-v and this stuff was the best "feeling" oil I found.

I have used the Redline Lightweigt Shockproof in the Hewland gearbox of the formula ford - no problems, no complaints, when tearing doen wthe tranny for gear changes the lube clings to and coats everything and does not drip off.

Currently I am running the Ultra Light Shockproof in the kart gearboxes - again, no problems.

In both cases, these are transmission that are shifted without using the clutch and take some pretty good abuse, either showed any signs of wear, nor signs of metal on the drain plugs - personally, I will continue to use it.