Good First Handgun?

wagner

How in the world do you love your highpoint, those are the biggest throw away guns every. I shoot more worth of ammo at a normal day at the range than those guns are worth...

Plus do you really want to trust something that cost a meir 100 bucks to keep you safe if you need it??? I rather fight with a baseball bat than a highpoint.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not even think to do a search on this.

Also try to keep the brand bashing down this is not a mustang vs f-body thread so keep things some what useful please :)

My plan is to go to the range and shoot a few different sizes and maybe brands as well. The goal from this thread was to get more information from different sources for research.

I did checkout Glocktalk and that had good info on it.

I did not even think to do a search on this.

Also try to keep the brand bashing down this is not a mustang vs f-body thread so keep things some what useful please :)

My plan is to go to the range and shoot a few different sizes and maybe brands as well. The goal from this thread was to get more information from different sources for research.

I did checkout Glocktalk and that had good info on it.

Where do you reside? There is blackwing, the powder room in powel, buckeye outdoors in lancaster just a few for you depeding on your location in columbus to check out that I know has handguns you can rent.

Where do you reside? There is blackwing, the powder room in powel, buckeye outdoors in lancaster just a few for you depeding on your location in columbus to check out that I know has handguns you can rent.

there is no buckeye outdoors in lancaster. there is buckey outdoors in hebron off st rt 79, and there is ohio valley that is in lancaster off 33

there is no buckeye outdoors in lancaster. there is buckey outdoors in hebron off st rt 79, and there is ohio valley that is in lancaster off 33

You aure are right good sir... right next to subway lol I dont know why I thought it was buckeye..

Wagner, You're in Hilliard aren't you? If you want to go to the range out here in West Jeff on Middle Pike Rd LMK I live a couple miles from it and can meet you there about anytime. I can bring a 1911, a 9mm and a glock 22 for you to try out. That would save you at least $30 just in rental fees......

Wagner, You're in Hilliard aren't you? If you want to go to the range out here in West Jeff on Middle Pike Rd LMK I live a couple miles from it and can meet you there about anytime. I can bring a 1911, a 9mm and a glock 22 for you to try out. That would save you at least $30 just in rental fees......

Yes I do :)

I was talking with a couple others and might try to set up a range day. I would love to shoot as many as possible just to get a feel for different weapons.

Do you think a group rental at a place might work? Try to see if we can get a cheaper rate?

I'd think you would welcome the perspective of others on what weapons are known for having issues. It's not a Domestic Vs. Import. It's, will it fire when I need it to? Or life and death, if you will.

Buying a used weapon is also a pretty good idea. Just ensure it's comfortable for you and you understand how it functions. Walthers for instance, great weapons. However, not the most user friendly for several people I have worked with on them and have limited exposure to hand guns. My .02.

go to a gunshop and spend plenty of time messing with all the guns and find one that fits you. then find friends with alot of different guns and shoot them or rent them from the range. at ohio valley in lancaster it's only $10 to rent a gun and they have a pretty good selection.

shooting a gun is way different then just handling it for instance after shooting several glocks i will never own one. they are horrible

if your considering using it for carry you will prolly want a polly gun but be aware of all the different trigger options for instance there are 4 different trigger options for the walther p99 and the one i want is available only on the first gen so don't just find a gun and say i'll take it. also if your going to use it for carry be well aware of what will happen in case of a miss fire with glocks you can't just pull the trigger again you have to rack the slide. with the walther p99 DA/SA it returns to double action if it's not fired and you can pull the trigger again.

my favorite gun is the jericho 941 based baby eagle

my next gun will be a walther p99

go to a gunshop and spend plenty of time messing with all the guns and find one that fits you. then find friends with alot of different guns and shoot them or rent them from the range. at ohio valley in lancaster it's only $10 to rent a gun and they have a pretty good selection.

shooting a gun is way different then just handling it for instance after shooting several glocks i will never own one. they are horrible

if your considering using it for carry you will prolly want a polly gun but be aware of all the different trigger options for instance there are 4 different trigger options for the walther p99 and the one i want is available only on the first gen so don't just find a gun and say i'll take it. also if your going to use it for carry be well aware of what will happen in case of a miss fire with glocks you can't just pull the trigger again you have to rack the slide. with the walther p99 DA/SA it returns to double action if it's not fired and you can pull the trigger again.

You shut your whore mouth!

And Glocks won't misfire. :p

Because instead of properly learning rack tap bang you can just sit there pulling the trigger over and over on a squib load or a real misfire. Just because you can keep pulling the trigger, the gun still has not cycled and you need to rack tap bang anyways.

Because instead of properly learning rack tap bang you can just sit there pulling the trigger over and over on a squib load or a real misfire. Just because you can keep pulling the trigger, the gun still has not cycled and you need to rack tap bang anyways.

Is this backwards? Thought it was tap, rack, bang.

Is this backwards? Thought it was tap, rack, bang.

yes it is backwards, my bad, just wasn't thinking straight while working on something else. Thanks.

What are you tapping? I've never had a hand gun partial feed. Not saying it can't happen, just asking. And to say the bottom of the magazine to seat it, a partial feed with that, I would still rack first. Thoughts?

Tap, rack, bang; refers the the use of the forward assist. Very few weapon systems have these. No hand guns have them that I have ever seen. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Tapping the mag on a rifle has never been the fix to any misfeed I've worked with.

If this is too far off topic, please PM.

What are you tapping? I've never had a hand gun partial feed. Not saying it can't happen, just asking. And to say the bottom of the magazine to seat it, a partial feed with that, I would still rack first. Thoughts?

Tap, rack, bang; refers the the use of the forward assist. Very few weapon systems have these. No hand guns have them that I have ever seen. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Tapping the mag on a rifle has never been the fix to any misfeed I've worked with.

If this is too far off topic, please PM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_rack_bang

This is another no shit, I know what is says. Now read what I'm questioning and give me real reference.

Please understand, I'm simply questioning the process on a hand gun. How fucked up is the magazine not seated properly to the point where your tap on it seats the round to the right position to chamber correctly? Pretty way the fuck off, isn't it? Is that realistic? or are you going to go straight to Rack?

This is another no shit, I know what is says. Now read what I'm questioning and give me real reference.

Please understand, I'm simply questioning the process on a hand gun. How fucked up is the magazine not seated properly to the point where your tap on it seats the round to the right position to chamber correctly? Pretty way the fuck off, isn't it? Is that realistic? or are you going to go straight to Rack?

I've noticed the tap works more on a 1911 type that gets finnicky with magazines than it does with a Glock or such. The magazines will fail to feed and the round gets hung up and making sure it is seated will pop the round out of the mag into the chamber. Go to an IPSC or IDPA match and you will see people doing this constantly.

I mean, there is a reason police departments and training facilities like TDI teach this.

I've noticed the tap works more on a 1911 type that gets finnicky with magazines than it does with a Glock or such. The magazines will fail to feed and the round gets hung up and making sure it is seated will pop the round out of the mag into the chamber. Go to an IPSC or IDPA match and you will see people doing this constantly.

I mean, there is a reason police departments and training facilities like TDI teach this.

Werd. Tap Rack Bang is pretty much standard protocol for malfunctions of any sort. Most of the time, it'll fix the problem.

And by 'Tap', they actually mean, 'Hit it like a Man.'