Big Darby Shooting Range Closed?

Pedro1647545510

We got one of those once at the Conservation Club. They just ignored it due to the club being grandfathered and the orig deeds of land sold off by the club as surrounding home sites included clauses about shooting. That was a fun time.

I hope that's the case. I've never been to Big Darby so I was kinda looking forward to heading there this weekend. I always hear good things about the place. Now I have to drive all the way to Pickaway County Sportsmen Range Saturday if this resolved in the next day or so.

There's a guy at my work that goes there religiously, so I'll try to ask him today to see if he's heard anything.

I really enjoy it there. The way it's run is safety first, and if you don't like it get the F-out, which is the way that I want any range I'm at to be run.

Plus, shooting those steel plate targets on the pistol range is completely addictive.:D

Just got back from BDSR and Pete said that Battelle is the one bitching about the range. They claim to have had stray bullets hit buildings. I wouldn't count on the range opening back up until next week but he's hoping for Friday. The pistol range isn't going to be permanently shut down but Pete thinks that the 300yrd rifle range will get shut down for good.

From the Madison Press

http://www.madison-press.com/local.asp?ID=2012&Story=2

"A local shooting range is now in the position of sweating bullets to stay in business after claims that bullets from the range have found their mark across a major roadway and onto another company’s property. The dangerous situation was brought to light in Madison County Common Pleas Court on Monday.

The Battelle Memorial Institute, 505 King Ave. in Columbus, filled a lawsuit in Madison County Common Pleas Court on June 14, asking for a temporary and permanent injunction against Big Darby Creek Shooting Range LLC, which is located at 8875 Middle Pike Road in West Jefferson. Battelle alleges that the shooting range operations are negligent and are a safety hazard to their employees, visitors and contractors at Battelle’s Hazardous Materials and Biomedical Research Center located at 1425 Plain City-Georgesville Road (also a part of state Route 142) in West Jefferson."

The article in the newspaper has a little more info..... Battelle says........ "employees have collected 13 bullets in recent weeks that have landed on roof tops, pulled from building sides and vehicles in the employee parking lot. The suit states that one employee was walking with his daughter on the grounds when a bullet whizzed by. Contractors working at the facility also have heard bullets whizzing over head."

The article in the newspaper has a little more info..... Battelle says........ "employees have collected 13 bullets in recent weeks that have landed on roof tops, pulled from building sides and vehicles in the employee parking lot. The suit states that one employee was walking with his daughter on the grounds when a bullet whizzed by. Contractors working at the facility also have heard bullets whizzing over head."

If all this is true that's seriously an issue though. Can't they just correct the issue by ramping up their safety features and stay open though?

If all this is true that's seriously an issue though. Can't they just correct the issue by ramping up their safety features and stay open though?

Pete said he wants to stay closed until the investigation is over. What investigation? I don't know, but he said it's all costing him a fortune in legal fees so if you guys need anything go out and see him in the Pro Shop.

They need to build a shed over the range mounds and build a slanted roof over the shooting benches that prevents a trajectory high enough to get past the mounds.

Maybe the problem is that people are shooting down at the ground way in front of the mounds and the bullets are ricocheting over the mounds. This happened at two other local ranges, resulting in complaints.

Maybe the problem is that people are shooting down at the ground way in front of the mounds and the bullets are ricocheting over the mounds. This happened at two other local ranges, resulting in complaints.

The trajectory should not be greater than what it came in at. Sheds would prevent that.

Google maps says the place filing the complaints is just over a mile away. No common round is going to ricochet that far. These shots had to be way up and over.

Google maps says the place filing the complaints is just over a mile away. No common round is going to ricochet that far. These shots had to be way up and over.

The newspaper said it's 5000ft from the range to the Battelle parking lot. There are 4-8ft tall concrete drain pipes you sit behind and shoot through. Also before Pete will let you on the 300yrd range he confirms your rifle is zero'd in and he gives you a walkie talkie so he can reach you in a hurry if there's a problem.

Just got back from BDSR and Pete said that Battelle is the one bitching about the range. They claim to have had stray bullets hit buildings. I wouldn't count on the range opening back up until next week but he's hoping for Friday. The pistol range isn't going to be permanently shut down but Pete thinks that the 300yrd rifle range will get shut down for good.

From the Madison Press

http://www.madison-press.com/local.asp?ID=2012&Story=2

"A local shooting range is now in the position of sweating bullets to stay in business after claims that bullets from the range have found their mark across a major roadway and onto another company’s property. The dangerous situation was brought to light in Madison County Common Pleas Court on Monday.

Thanks for the info.