3S Questions

Mallard

I'm throwing around the possibility of getting a "fun" car this fall/winter to replace the Sky (which I traded in almost 2 years ago). I have a place in my heart for '90's turbo sports cars (300ZX, 3S, RX7, etc) so I've been looking into finally picking one up at a reasonable price. The 3S models stand out because I will eventually need to drive with a child seat in the car it those are the only one's with a back seat (unless I go for an Eclipse, 240SX, or similar).

I wanted a Stealth, but there are more 3000GT's out there so it looks possible to find a better deal on those. I know some people on the forum have VR4's, so maybe someone can give me their impressions.

What should I look out for?

Are there any mechanical differences between model years (besides looks)?

When maintained, how reliable are they?

Are parts more expensive than avg. if something needs fixed? Are parts readily available since they've been out of production for 11 years?

The engine bay looks cramped, how easy is it to work on?

What would you expect to pay for a rust free, good running car?

I have been on the 3si.org site, but I have not registered (a lot of forums are private). I'm just looking for a basic overview to know if I'm wasting my time looking for one and if I should look for something else.

93-Up had a forged crank

94-up ran more boost, so they make 320hp as apposed to 300, but that an easy fix

94-up had a 6 speed tranny

My memory is a little rusty, but I believe it was somewhere in 93 where they went from an 18 spline output, to a 23 spline output shaft. Luckily there is a recall on the transfer case and you can get a brand new one like I did, and I had like 150k miles on the car when I did.

There is also a ton of features that were dropped along the years, like active aero, active exhaust, 4 wheels steer.

http://www.stealth316.com

Check that site out, probably the best place for info

They are pretty damn reliable. Engine bay is kinda crammed, but its not as bad as it looks. Turbo's can be pulled without pulling the motor and that's a plus.

I had a 93. Its still the older bumpers and headlights, but had all the features, plus forged crank and 23 spline output shaft. It was a 5 speed but some people say it had an advantage over the 6 speed. I like all years, but 93-up is what I would get. I dont care for the stealth styling as much, which ended production in 96, the VR4 went up to 99, and the 99 is completely different looking and less than 50 were sold in the US.

Took a phone call during typing this....so I'm repeating some of what was said before I replied. Oh well.

What should I look out for?

I would look out for low oil pressure, as they are bad about spinning bearings, often because the pan has been dented up into the pickup tube. This is a result of a retard jacking by the pan, or by way of a lowered car hitting road debris/bottoming out. This can really only be tested if there is a real gauge in the car, as the factory one in the dash is crap. If the oil light is on run fast. Also ensure that the transfer case is sound, as parts are difficult to find and expensive. There is a transfer case test procedure that can be done by jacking up the car I believe, and spinning the wheels freely - found on 3si.

Are there any mechanical differences between model years (besides looks)?

There are differences between whether motors are 2-bolt or 4-bolt main, output shaft splines, and 5 or 6 speeds. 6 speeds were in later models, I believe starting 94 or 95 ( 2nd gen). 99 is considered the 3rd gen to most. As you'd expect 4 bolt are better, but it's really only of any concern if pushing the bottom end to its limits. If I recall the 6 speeds are considered more fragile, but again only when really pushed.

When maintained, how reliable are they?

They are reliable IF maintained, and IF they've not been abused. The motors in particular are fairly stout if maintained, it's the transmission and transfer cases that are generally the weak links. There a number of people you will find on 3si that daily drive their TT cars. It's when you start REALLY pushing things that things begin to break.

Are parts more expensive than avg. if something needs fixed? Are parts readily available since they've been out of production for 11 years?

Again, engine-wise, normal. Drivetrain, in some cases pricey and/or discontinued. Suspension, brakes, normal.

The engine bay looks cramped, how easy is it to work on?

It can be a bit cramped, but overall they're not bad. 300ZX are waaaaaay worse if you have any experience with them. What makes things difficult is that the intake manifold has to be loosened/removed to get to the rear bank plugs, and the rear turbo is tucked pretty tightly agains the firewall as well. For normal maintenance though everything is about as accessible as an average FWD car, with the addition of turbo piping.

What would you expect to pay for a rust free, good running car?

You could probably find a decent one for $7500k to $9000k. Also, a car with rust issues is one I would steer away from. Rust is very rare with these cars and would in my mind indicate neglect.

Posing the same question on 3si in the "new owner questions" forum would net you even more info I'm sure.

Did the 4 bolt main come with the 6 speed, or was it introduced before that? Same thing for the 23 spline output shaft?

Did all have forged cranks?

I've seen a couple 93's listed for around $6k. One said the 2-3 shift sometimes grinds :/

kickass - Thanks for the stealth link. That looks like a good resource.

fuuuuuuuu...it has a back seat, but the wife thinks they are too deep of buckets for a child seat...so this may get shut down. Have any of you had to put a child seat in the back? If so, can you take a pic?

If this doesn't work out I may have to get a fun daily instead of a daily and a fun car. (M3, G35...something sedan based with a better back seat) :(

Yeah, I saw that one too (more on his CarDomain). The wife is too worried about it and has pretty much ruled it out. I couldn't find any pics of a rearward facing infant seat, and most seat bases might not fit well in the back seat. The location of the receiver for the buckle also appears pretty far forward, which could be bad for holding a child seat tight. The wife designs airbags and does a lot of testing with child seats, so what she says goes.

:(

Looks like I need to start looking for something else, but that pushes my price up high enough where it needs to be my daily driver too :( :(

Yeah, not really meant for passengers, let alone a car seat.

Lots of people go from 3000gt's to S4's, myself included. TONS of backseat, and trunk space, a lot more airbags, but still AWD, 6 speed and 2 turbos. ;)

For what it's worth, 3S's are known to be tanks when it comes to handling accidents well. I've seen more than a few cars that have been completely ruined and have left the cabin effectively untouched. I've seen at least two where they have flipped and everything from the firewall forward is torn off, but the cabin remains nicely intact...