AC Help

Xyster101

I have a 03 Honda Element as my daily with 92k miles. Two weeks ago I noticed the AC seemed a little weak. Then a few days ago it stopped working completely. The compressor is not turning on at all. I had some 134 sitting around after I topped off a friends unit last year. So I hooked it up with the little gauge it comes with and it pinned the gauge up over 80psi. I had it hooked to the low side. The plastic cap had a "L" on it, plus I think you can't hook these to the high side.

I thought maybe it was low on 134 which is why the compressor will not turn on, so I opened the can and nothing came out. I then vented some of it into the air to see if it was clogged, it worked fine. So I bought another can with gauge thinking the gauge might be bad, same thing. It would seem there is too much pressure for the stuff to leave the can.

Last year I also thought the AC was not cold enough so I hooked the gauge up. The compressor would kick on and run around 50psi (I think) and then when it went off the gauge would go up to 80psi for a few seconds until the compressor kicked on again.

Ideas?

Usually compressors have a pressure switch so they don't kick in unless there is a certain amount of refrigerant in the system. I could be wrong, but this was what I have been told. The compressor on my MR2 did not come on when the R12 leaked out. I refilled the R12 and it worked again. Is this thinking correct?

Usually compressors have a pressure switch so they don't kick in unless there is a certain amount of refrigerant in the system. I could be wrong, but this was what I have been told. The compressor on my MR2 did not come on when the R12 leaked out. I refilled the R12 and it worked again. Is this thinking correct?

Could be, not sure.

AFAIK from experience, if it is low on freon, the compressor will not kick on to save itself. But that doesn't sound like your issue since you're seeing 80psi/full on the gauge.

Yes,

IIRC, there is at least a LP switch, which has to be on before the compressor will engage. On some vehicles they can fail prematurely. I know in the past after verification of proper charge, we have bypassed the switch to verify it was not the issue. Definitely worth a shot.

compressor wont kick on at all if the system is low/empty, so there are a few things that can be wrong here, there is a Honda service bulletin out for this issue(not sure if your car is effected), more than likely the a/c compressor is bad, but your pressure switch could be bad(doubt it) the a/c clutch set could be worn and need replaced(possible), but its probably the a/c compressor

Compressor should still kick on with no refrigerant. I'm guessing bad compressor.

Wrong

Right.

Jump the pressure switch and see if it kicks on, ie pull the plug off and jump between the plugs in the connector. If the pump kicks on see if it blows cold.

Could be a few things, but if it works the switch should be to blame.

Ok so I took my Honda service manual and ran through everything I could.

I have over 80psi pressure on the low side, so it is full.

I jumped the pressure switch, nothing happened except the condensor fan turned on.

I tested the relay at the fuse box and check all fuses, they work.

I tested continuity between the wire going to the compressor and the fuse box, it was ok.

This leads me to believe the compressor is bad or the clutch is bad on the compressor. This is not something I have ever messed with, ac systems. Is this something that I can do myself? I would assume I have to drain the system, take the compressor off and then refill the system. In the service manual it states putting a certain amount of oil in the compressor. Do I need to hook a vac pump on the system before charging it to remove all water and air?

Anyone know a good shop that can do this or want to help me for some money?

A couple of additional points - do you have voltage at the compressor clutch? I would guess not - most cars this new have to have the compressor "commanded on" by the PCM. It sounds like the system is full, but you are not getting the sugnal to turn on the compressor.

While it is possible to run a wire to the clutch and either provide the power (or ground) depending on how it is switched to see if the compressor is actually OK. The first thing I would do at this point is get someone with a good scan tool to see if the PCM is even turning it on.

A few reasons for not turning on the compressor:

1) Incorrect coolant temp (as the PCM sees it-bad sender?)

2) Inability to command correct idle speed (dirty throttle body-common in GM's)

3) Refrigerant pressure (but it sounds like we're OK here - unless the pressure switch is bad)

There are "thermal protectors" on some Japanese compressors, that could have failed - or if you do have good voltage and ground at the compressor clutch - the clutch itself may be bad.

The first thing I would do at this point is get someone with a good scan tool to see if the PCM is even turning it on.

Do this first. It sounds like the PCM might not be commanding the A/C system on. The fact that you stated the condensor fan ran when you jumped the LP switch leads me to believe this. If the PCM was producing the output, the fan would should kick on even if the clutch wouldn't engage, as they both receive the signal from the PCM. I don't have the wiring print to look at to be 100% sure, but I have dealt with vehicles that work this way. When you jumped the LP switch, you did have the car running with the A/C selected "on", right?

Edited by TA In Progress
Spelling

80psi on the low side is too high most cars should be between 15psi and 50psi

if you are sure the system is fully charged you may have a blocked orfice tube or expansion valve

it'll read 80 psi if the compressor isn't turning on, OP does the blower fan turn on when you turn on the a/c?

The blower fan does run with the AC on, the compressor does not kick in. I took it somewhere. I am on vacation in NY at my parents right now and it is over 100 and I need AC with the dog. Elements don't have enough windows to go down. It is a bad compressor and will be $650 to replace. Thanks for your help guys. I looked at what was said and the heat beat me to trouble shooting it myself.

The blower fan does run with the AC on, the compressor does not kick in. I took it somewhere. I am on vacation in NY at my parents right now and it is over 100 and I need AC with the dog. Elements don't have enough windows to go down. It is a bad compressor and will be $650 to replace. Thanks for your help guys. I looked at what was said and the heat beat me to trouble shooting it myself.

$650 for parts and labor?