02 bravada making noises

wnaplay1647545503

I noticed a couple weeks ago my bravad was making a ticking noise. Not constantly but noticably while parked or parking at idle. Then I hear a noise while driving what sounds like near the left front wheel. The first noise is definately a tick. While the other sound is more of a rattle like a loose dust plate noise which comes and goes as you drive. At first I thought it was the same thing but now I think it may be 2 seperate issues. I replaced the fan clutch because it had a little wobble and I was hoping that would take care of it but no. I am now thinking the tick might be a lifter or valve sticking, something along those lines, if so whats the fix? The rattle I think may be a wheel bearing but not sure. I will be damned if I havent popped the hood 100 times trying to diagnose the noise only for it to stop instantly. I think thats just a fluke and not having anything to do with the hood itself. Money is getting tighter so somebody give me good news or easy fixes. Thanks

Guest 614Streets
I need to change the oil now and I thought about doing an additive to try and remove the ticking noise.

well you thought wrong for you , right for the guy you sell it too...... Sorry I worked at a car dealership once....

Bulletin No.: 05-06-02-004

Date: April 06, 2005

TECHNICAL

Subject:

Underhood Tick Noise at Idle (Reprogram PCM)

Models:

2004 Buick Rainier

2002-2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models

2002-2004 GMC Envoy Models

2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

Condition

Some customers may comment on an underhood tick noise heard while the vehicle is idling. Technicians may find that the noise does not increase or decrease with changes in the engine idle RPM. The tick noise occurs at approximately one second intervals.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the electro-viscous fan clutch control function of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) attempting to keep the fan speed between 300-600 revolutions per minute (RPM). At idle, the cooling fan speed will drag to approximately 500 RPM then oscillate between 300 and 600 RPM. When the fan speed drops below 500 RPM, the PCM will pulse the fan control solenoid. The pulsing of the solenoid is the cause of the ticking noise.

Correction

http://www.alldatacollision.com/alldata/COLLISION~V169951021~C36367~R0~OB0~P3R0H~N/0/86372027/87577490/87577500/87577663/34853741/100411974/34856156/101367107/42473190/42064094/121036500/113307817/113378354

Technicians are to verify that the cooling fan clutch is the source of the noise by using either one of the following two methods:

^Use a Tech 2® to command the cooling fan off. If the ticking noise goes away, the pulsing of the cooling fan clutch is the source of the noise.

^The cooling fan clutch electrical connector, located on the cooling fan shroud, may be disconnected with the engine off. If the ticking noise goes away, the pulsing of the cooling fan clutch is the source of the noise. Be sure to clear any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) that may have set while the cooling fan clutch is disconnected.

Technicians are to reprogram the PCM with an updated software calibration. The new software calibration is currently available in TIS for all the vehicles listed above.

Well the dont do was already done by a member who no longer exists. The fan clutch was replaced with a new one weeks ago in kind of hope it fixed the problem which it didnt. Now I have a new expensive part. Anyone know how much this will cost to reprogram?

shocker, hang enough parts and one of them will fix it.

most GM dealers 1 hour labor which is about $88 plus tax, shop supplies, ect. if you want i can do it next week sometime for $50.

shocker, hang enough parts and one of them will fix it.

most GM dealers 1 hour labor which is about $88 plus tax, shop supplies, ect. if you want i can do it next week sometime for $50.

Do you guarantee results:D

Sounds like oldest trick in the book. Throw enough parts at it and maybe it will fix it :lol:

I hope you learned your lesson.

I kinda always do it with skepticism:(