Recommend a Machine Shop

hot_wire

Any sponsors or recommended shops near the Clintonville/Worthington area?

I have an aluminum part with four stainless steel m6 bolts that are sheared off in it. I am looking to drill and retap those four holes (about 1/2 inch deep). Going up a size does not matter.

Any clue what I should expect to pay for this job? I assume that it would be fairly quick/simple (only need a shop drill press). Walk in or same day service would be cool!

stainless is hard to drill so don't assume quick/simple. aluminum and stainless are two metals that should never be put together.

Hmm.... I'm not positive that they're stainless on aluminum then. I drilled into one of them easily with my cheapo black and decker. I just assumed that they were stainless by how tightly stuck they were into the part.

Got a machine shop for me!?

Guest 614Streets
Trying to think of someone to do "fairly quick/simple " for that type of a job , and NOBODY comes to mind. You are probably going to have to helicoil the threads.

This is a really high stress part, so I'm afraid to use helicoils in it. I would drill and tap it myself, but I am inexperienced, and I want the threads to be near PERFECT so that nothing goes wrong in the future.

If the screws were to back out, I would ruin a propeller, a drive shaft and all kinds of shit that I don't want to deal with.

Photos in a sec

Overview

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/hot_wire/DSC01429.jpg

One I drilled into

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/hot_wire/DSC01432.jpg

They each poke up about 2mm. This one is in a bit of a recess, while the others are on the flat outer rectangle portion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/hot_wire/DSC01431.jpg

Guest 614Streets
Could probably torch them out with a little pizaz... Othwerwise if not I would just grind them flush , buy a helicoil kit , index the bolts with a digital caliper , perm marker the center , punch it , buy the correct heli coil kit , drill the hole out and heli coil it.

Could probably torch them out with a little pizaz...

Don't have much experience here either haha! You own a shop, correct? Think you could tear them out? I gotta warn you that I did break off an easy out in one of the holes. If that one can't be fixed, I think that the rest will still hold enough.

Edit: You may want to look into your website... Firefox has it on a list of "attack sites" that are unconsciously distributing bad software. I reported it as okay, but the warning stayed in the corner of my browser.

Sweet. 614streets, I am working in Powell all week, but I may call you over lunch to see where you're located and if you're around.

Thanks for the advice and the aircraft recommendation. Would not have considered that one.