Electrical Engineer looking

mmrmnhrm

Sort of a cross-post from the Romper Room where I was venting about Republicans suddenly rediscovering their faith in fiscal conservatism...

What type of engineering, what's your background?

My degree is electrical, though at this point, I think of myself as sort of a MacGyver in the making... my first job out of college was with Grumman, chasing down electrically compatible replacements/upgrades for obsolete chips. If it weren't for 9/11, I'd probably still be there. Second job was with a tiny shop in Cleveland doing PLC programming, variable speed drives (programming and repair), power quality, a little networking, and basically anything the owner suddenly thought up and came running down the hall yelling, "Tom! Chris! Think we can do this??" I absolutely loved it there, and even though the pay wasn't great, I learned more about real-world engineering with them than all four years of undergrad. Most recent was with Liebert, sort of a pre-sales "Here's what you need," post sales "No, sir, you can't plug your microwave into a 250VA unit," job. Eli knows what I'm talking about, as that's where we met.

I'd say the biggest thing getting in my way is that until a month ago when my parents' neighbor was cleaning out his office to make space for new hobbies, I never had a chance to learn AutoCAD (he's a civil engineer who just retired, and came across the install disks). Strange, yes, but when I was going through OU, AutoCAD didn't have any of the electrical crap it has now, so the admin didn't think it worth teaching. Grumman had their own drafting department, the electricians at Phillips (the Cleveland shop, not the big Dutch company) were happy just to have us whip up something fast on MS Paint, and Liebert again had its own drafting group. Second stumbling block is that I'd really like to get back to Cleveland (the girl and the family are both there), though staying in Columbus is alright, and failing that, a 3-4 hour drive around Cleveland. So while I sometimes see things posted in Carolina, Georgia, and Texas, they're all well outside my search area.

Are you opposed to the Detroit area? It's a 3-4 hour drive to Columbus, and probably close to the same to Cleveland.

There has been a shortage of Electrical Engineer's up here (or so I've heard), especially one's with mechatronic experience. It would be worth it to talk to a few recruiters up here and/or look on company websites (Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, Bosch, TRW, Continental, GE, etc.). The job market up here has been improving, so it's not as dismal up here as it was a year ago.

Edited by Mallard

Are you opposed to the Detroit area? It's a 3-4 hour drive to Columbus, and probably close to the same to Cleveland.

Not opposed to it, and since I-80/90 runs Cleveland-Toledo, it's actually a bit less time than Columbus. I'll have to look to see how my search agents are set up, because at that distance, they should be picking stuff up, unless maybe they're blinded since Detroit crosses state lines. If something did pop up, I'd need ya to tell me where to look for nice apartments... I heard the city's actually trying to find ways to shrink itself to cut down on costs.

There's been a few decent EE postings in cleveland lately. Just keep your eyes open, for some reason the "burb" jobs from cleveland are not getting picked up by my job agents but they are getting picked with the generic "ohio" searches.

If something did pop up, I'd need ya to tell me where to look for nice apartments... I heard the city's actually trying to find ways to shrink itself to cut down on costs.

No problem. No one actually lives in the city, the nice area's are in the burb's.

Good luck with your search.