5th wheel questions

Snowflake

I just bought a 5th wheel camper and it came with all the hitch stuff. It was mounted in a long bed Dode Ram. I have a short bed F150.

Will I be able to just mount the receiver/hitch to my truck with no problems?

Someone told me something about possibly hitting my truck with the camper in a tight turn.

I am in Louisiana and Im driving home Friday and I have to be back by Tuesday to go back to work. So when I get home I am going to be in a hurry to get this thing on my truck.

Anyone ever installed one?

You'll be fine pulling it with a 150. Like you were already told, the only issue is going to be tight turns. I had a 5th wheel in my 250 for many years until it stopped pulling the race car trailer it was built for.

Typical placement is directly over the axle. Look and see if there is any info online about mounting them a little further back.

if it's a 6 3/4 bed it should be fine, if you have a crew cab with the 5 1/2 bed it definitely won't work.

The bed is a 6.5' here is a pic of what I bought. It looks like the hitch on the camper extends out at least 6 inches. Pics are shitty.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/1801336631.html

The bed is a 6.5' here is a pic of what I bought. It looks like the hitch on the camper extends out at least 6 inches. Pics are shitty.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/1801336631.html

yeah it will work fine. Your ass is going to sag on the truck though, just a heads up.

Another question. Should I put my stock tires back on, or are the 22's ok to roll with? The 22" tires are rated at 2000lbs. I heard tounge weight is 20% of the total weight which is 4020.

You need at least D rated sidewalls or your rear end is going to feel hella squishy while pulling that.

yeah it will work fine. Your ass is going to sag on the truck though, just a heads up.

Eeeh yes an no.... but I would defentally upgrade the rear ends suspension. To compensate for the added weight.

An yea no 22ns they won't tow right/be safe.

A lot of people use f150s to tow small 5th wheels ull be fine enjoy it man.

Eeeh yes an no....

???? Are you talking about it working fine with the bed length? the way that 5th is set up with the ball in front of the trailer it will be more than fine, my parents have been towing a 30' gooseneck horse trailer with a 6'5 bed on a 2500 fine for 6 years now. As for the ass sag, 1/2 tons are not built to pull goosenecks and 5th wheels, they are built for utility, but hauling a 5th wheel camper that light just filled with gear shouldn't be TOO much of a problem.

oh, and to the TS, make sure the 5th wheel has trailer brakes and make sure you get a nice trailer brake controller. Set it so the trailer grabs just slightly before the truck brakes do. Let your trailer start to pull your truck back rather than your truck trying to slow the trailer.

They make sliding 5th wheel hitches for short bed truck, but your going to pay an arm and leg. Also that weight you listed is that dry weight? Because if it is once its loaded with water and everything you need you will be around 6k-7k lbs depending on how much junk you loadit with. Then the issue your going to run into is with all that weight on the rear end of the truck your going to lose breaking on your front wheels then your not going to be able to stop. Also imagine driving that threw the hills your going to be revving the shit out of the motor downshifting all the time.

Ifyou want to be careful get airbags on your rear axle, run you 16"wheels with a 10ply tire and get bigger brakes.

They make sliding 5th wheel hitches for short bed truck, but your going to pay an arm and leg. Also that weight you listed is that dry weight? Because if it is once its loaded with water and everything you need you will be around 6k-7k lbs depending on how much junk you loadit with. Then the issue your going to run into is with all that weight on the rear end of the truck your going to lose breaking on your front wheels then your not going to be able to stop. Also imagine driving that threw the hills your going to be revving the shit out of the motor downshifting all the time.

Ifyou want to be careful get airbags on your rear axle, run you 16"wheels with a 10ply tire and get bigger brakes.

really good trailer brakes calibrated properly should help out enough for that weight. Air bags wouldn't be worth it, just upgrade to a 3/4 ton at that point.

get a good tranny cooler also if you don't already have one. I do think you'll be able to pull it no problems but it sucks having an undersized truck for what you're hauling. That weight isn't too bad though really. That also looks like a pretty damn good deal if it's in decent shape.

I ended up giving the people 3800 for the camper. I will be pulling it dry or with just a few things inside. Im not going to have any water in it. Once I get it back down here Im just setting it up at a campsite that has water, sewage, and power.

Im going to put the stock tires back on, get the brake booster controller, and say a prayer. I have never pulled anything much less for 1000 miles. Im sure my asshole will be puckered up the whole trip.

Ive been down here for 4 weeks now and have spent 1300 dollars in motels rooms. I had to buy this thing since Ill be down here for another 4 months at least.

Thanks for the info guys...

really good trailer brakes calibrated properly should help out enough for that weight. Air bags wouldn't be worth it, just upgrade to a 3/4 ton at that point.

you really have never pulled a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer have you.

you really have never pulled a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer have you.

Yes, cross country 45' gooseneck with 5 horses in it just to name an instance. Also had to learn to pull the trailer before I could get my license.

I said air bags weren't worth it because it's just not worth it on a 1/2 ton because you should just upgrade to a 3/4 ton at that point. No point in spending the money for little results.

Good trailer brakes and a good controller make a world of difference, esp if he travels light, which he said he will be.

I'm still laughing at your comment, having to pull a trailer is almost like a way of life in my family. Hell, my SISTER has probably pulled more gooseneck trailers than anyone on this site, LOL

I appreciate all the info. I did get the rails to mount it. I'll be home sometime saturday to install it and get it back down here. I'll post some pics of it once I get hjome and casn take some.

Im excited to get this thing.

I appreciate all the info. I did get the rails to mount it. I'll be home sometime saturday to install it and get it back down here. I'll post some pics of it once I get hjome and casn take some.

Im excited to get this thing.

Goodluck... just remember something that an old time horse hauler told me when I first started driving, on if you ever get stuck in a traffic bind

"remember, you are bigger than them, don't try to press through and make things worse, just stop, they will move"

those words got us out of downtown dallas in the middle of evening rush hour with an 8 horse