in wall peaker help

LS_Sonoma

No Highs?

No Lows?

Must be Bose.

I agree, but I have a complete Bose set in my house and it is great. If you like listening to Easy E than Bose may not be for you.

I have this set up

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2006/018/h018AM10S4W-fp.jpg

+

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2001/018/h018161W-F_MT.jpeg

I used a friend that has a Stereo Shop in MI for our setup.

We have a MTX Center and Sub. We have a lesser quality MTX Off Brand as the Front and Rear.

We then have an Onkyo Receiver.

All told, the money is in the Receiver, then the Center, followed by the Sub. The Fronts and Rears are about equal value.

Given our home's layout, I do not know if high end components would make it sound better....

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Very nice but not in wall. I have a Harmon Kardon receiver as well and love it.

All told, the money is in the Receiver, then the Center, followed by the Sub. The Fronts and Rears are about equal value.

This.

Though I would (and have) spend a little more on a good sub if you listen to alot of music. Any decent sub can make a decent sounding explosion, but it'll cost a bit more to get something that can do that and also reproduce clean bass in music. I run my ML Abyss a tad "hot" for movies but it still sounds clean with all ranges of music. As for in-walls I agree that Klipsch would be a good one to look at and maybe Paradigm.

In my setup the hierarchy is:

1. Receiver quality - Onkyo makes some good stuff for the money.

2. Center channel speaker

3. Sub (though I actually spent more here than anything else)

4. Surrounds

EDIT: I missed the $1k budget. You may not be able to get into Klipsch/Paradigm even used under that cap, but I think you could get close. Especially if you are re-using your receiver.

i think most of the money should go towards speakers myself, that's where you get your quality from.. As long as teh receiver has a good power output, the sound isn't going to change much from one to the other. where as, getting the right set of speakers is CRUCIAL to the sound... jus sayin. subwoofer being ONE of the most important things.

that is of course unless you get a TUBE receiver, but you can't get a good one of those for under 1k, so spend the extra money on the speakers.

i think most of the money should go towards speakers myself, that's why you get your quality from.

I think this is true to some extent, but remember a speaker is only as good as the signal you provide. Many of the high end receivers have better quality Digital Audio Converters and such and can provide a cleaner deeper sound. It's not just about the power rating, which is a whole other thing not to get caught up in. There are some seemingly low wattage receivers out there that would stomp all over some of today's "100+W/channel" receivers with their "only" 50W/channel.

You can't have one without the other though, so balance is the key (ie. Not doing crap speakers with nice receiver or vice-versa).

Yeah, i agree. Balance is Key! But, if you gotta spend a little less on one than the other, I would say spend a couple extra on the speakers if you have to choose to stay in your budget. But, balance is defiantly key!

bose is WAYYY overrated imo. for 1k, you could get a REAL nice harmon kardon set, 5.1. it's what I run, right around 1k for all the hardware.

I bought mine from e-bay and have less than $350 in speakers.:p