Thinking of starting a side venture, your thoughts please.

Bobby Lee

This has been an idea that's been floating around in my head for some time. My dad has always mentioned how "valuable" southern vehicles can be when in a good, rust-free condition. I'm stationed in NC and make regular trips up to my parents farm in Coshocton, and figured if I was already making the trip, I might as well bring a car or truck up with me to sell for a profit. So here are my questions that I'd like your thoughts on...

Exactly how much more valuable do you think southern vehicles are when sold up north?

What makes/models would there be the most interest in?

When looking for a southern vehicle, how many miles and what price would most being looking to pay?

I just recently bought a 2008 F350 dually, so towing won't be an issue. I figure a simple flatbed car hauler can be bought for relatively cheap, and I also have a decent amount of starter money in the bank to work with.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome as well. Thank you.

My 2 cents' worth:

Thirty to forty years ago, getting a Southern car was a much bigger deal than it is today. Back then, one main reason for buying a new car every 3-4 years was that the bodies rusted through so fast in states using salt in the winter. The more modern cars can remain nearly rust free far longer now if you do some basic cleaning year-round. So, the difference in price in the same car used from Ohio and from Georgia used to make it well worth it to transport the cars here. Today, it seems that how the car was maintained makes a much bigger difference in prices compared to what state it was used in.

I'm not saying that I want to buy some rusty old car, just saying that where the car was kept for its first 5 years doesn't make quite as big a difference in price today as it did when your dad was younger.

Buying a 1940's through 70's car? Makes a huge difference if it's been in Arizona and not Minnesota. Also, with stretch limos (which tend to get rust in the coachbuilt parts), it still makes a big difference if it was used in the salt.

On the flip side, an older classic pickup truck is worth far more in the South than it is in Ohio. Just a lot more demand for them there.

With the widespread use of eBay Motors and similar online sales, the differential between the value of a vehicle from one region to another has lessened compared to what it was just a decade ago.

Doc, I disagree with you a bit. I worked on a California Mark VIII when I had my Lincoln, and even with 130K miles on it the exhaust bolts all came apart like it was brand new. My friend (who was from Wyoming) commented on how difficult it was to work on my car. I feel I maintain my cars well. There is a difference, but I don't know what value to place on it.

You've said it quite well. There can be some difference, and a mechanic working on an exhaust is going to definitely notice it. But as you say, how much difference in value to the average buyer? Some difference, yes. Such a big difference to make it worthwhile to transport the cars to Ohio from the South, well ........ perhaps or perhaps not.

Back in the 60's and 70's it was a really big thing with used car lots. They advertised the fact that they bought only at Southern auctions.

Many dealerships already do this. Not so much because it's a "southern vehicle", but because four wheel drives bring a lot less money at the southern auctions than the ones up here. I bought quite a few trucks for customers this way back in my dealership days. I actually know wholesalers that do nothing but buy two wheel drives up here, run them down there and sell them. Buy four wheel drives down there bring them up here and sell them. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks for the input guys. I suppose I was looking at this from the wrong direction. It is probably more worth my while if I lock on interested buyers prior to actually buying vehicles. That way, I'm only buying exactly what their looking for.

Also, as Doc stated, this was more an issue with older vehicles. How much of a restoration market is there, and would it allow me to sell '60s and '70s era cars, with little to no rust, for a profit?

Thanks for the input guys. I suppose I was looking at this from the wrong direction. It is probably more worth my while if I lock on interested buyers prior to actually buying vehicles. That way, I'm only buying exactly what their looking for.

Also, as Doc stated, this was more an issue with older vehicles. How much of a restoration market is there, and would it allow me to sell '60s and '70s era cars, with little to no rust, for a profit?

buddy of mine's dad does this with 60's and 70's car. last one he did he picked up a charger for 8k out of calif. perfect car body wise. needed paint. ( faded ) paid 1500 to have it shipped to ohio. sold it for 14,000 2 weeks later. theres profit to be made. just dont dont things people wont want. old rust free muscle cars are always an easy sale. the extra money spent up front for even a clean roller thats rust free vs a clapped out pos that needs quarters, floor, cowl ect. is well with it to someone that is wanting to build. saves them money and time in the long run. is say go for. just bring back what is an easy sell for the market in the surrounding area that way your not sitting on it and having it cost you money.

and honestly one thing i have noticed is pick up's sell for alot more then there worth in the columbus area vs driving even 4 hours away for the same truck.