Remember this video from a while back? Heres the ongoing story...pretty interesting.

oh8sti

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2010-07-15-editorial15_ST_N.htm

Cliffs: Dude does wheelies and rips around traffic. Gets cut off by a plain clothes cop who pulls his gun before saying he is a cop. Dude video tapes the event with his helmet cam and now faces 16 years in prison and 4 felony charges for posting the event on youtube.

Edited by Panduh

that is some FUCKED up shit. i mean, that guy was in plain clothes. and i am sure the guy on the bike was scared shitless having a gun pulled on him.. i doubt the first thought in this head was...'oh i need to tell this guy he is being taped'. that's so fucked!

It doesn't sound like they have much of a case... based on the article the law only applies to private conversations, and I don't think a public arrest on a highway qualifies. If this makes it to a jury I hope to god they'll see through the bullshit and let this guy off.

Guy pulled a gun in plain clothes and they defended it by saying the rider backed away!? Who in their right mind would not back away from an already aggressive, unmarked car that just pulled in front of you? If anything, you would be thinking it was someone you cut off in traffic -- which can still lead to violence.

Case better get thrown out.

Drop a gear and disappear. fuck that cop. Lucky the guy on the bike wasnt packing. Imagine that scenario...

Shit woulda been out of control.

My question is, whats the cop getting into for not stating he was a police?

Cop is getting of with no charges or disciplinary actions IIRC

I'll reserve my disbelief and anger until he's actually convicted. Police always try to go crazy charging people with ridiculous shit and usually walk away looking like idiots. Most judges can spot when shit is ridiculous.

I hate to say this b/c i know a few law enforcement officers and their genuinely good guys, but had that happened in this state and the motorcycle rider was carrying his ccw, what wouldve happened then?

To me, a guy cuts you off on an off ramp, jumps out of his car and pulls out a gun, im thinking "oh shit, im afraid for my life and need to defend myself".... or, "im about to get shot b/c i cut someone off". Im obviously glad it didnt end that way but it just illustrates the need to officers to communicate who they are right away.

yes, the plain clothes cop totally looked like a pissed off person who just got cut off in traffic ...it actually seemed like when he said he was a cop, he thought to himself, "oh shit, i haven't said i was the police yet" and then he said it....

they are probably pissed about the video making him look bad

i think when we have to have communication with law enforcement IT SHOULD BE RECORDED, so that neither party does anything unlawful. They always record us from their little dash cams in the car, no reason we shouldn't record them from our cars.

So he can't see a huge camera then how the heck is he a cop. I still think the cop shouldn't have pulled his gun(to extreme) and as he said get off the bike also said I'm a Trooper. Not pull your gun on the dude tell him to get off the bike.

dude probably has never pulled his gun out. He saw an opportunity and got a raging boner from pulling it no matter the situation, he wanted it out. Now he knows he looks like an ass and is trying to grasp at straws with charges.

The rider knew he was caught. 3 minutes into the vid, you can see him move his body right twice and then to the left to check his mirrors to confirm the unmarked and marked car following him. Then he turns around and visually looks to reconfirm.

Do you think he can hear what the officer is saying with a bike running and a full face helmet on? the camera picks it up, but i doubt the rider can hear.

What did the cop do wrong? he assisted in the arrest of someone breaking the law. many of you know what an unmarked car looks like, and you know it when they are following you.

had the cyclist caused an injury accident and got away, everyone of you would be "wheres the cops" "that guy needs prison raped" blah blah blah

Guest tbutera2112
The rider knew he was caught. 3 minutes into the vid, you can see him move his body right twice and then to the left to check his mirrors to confirm the unmarked and marked car following him. Then he turns around and visually looks to reconfirm.

Do you think he can hear what the officer is saying with a bike running and a full face helmet on? the camera picks it up, but i doubt the rider can hear.

What did the cop do wrong? he assisted in the arrest of someone breaking the law. many of you know what an unmarked car looks like, and you know it when they are following you.

had the cyclist caused an injury accident and got away, everyone of you would be "wheres the cops" "that guy needs prison raped" blah blah blah

i do agree that the officer did nothing wrong, the guy clearly knew what was happening....i think the thing people are mad about though is what theyre trying to punish him for...the rider is admitting that he was breaking laws, but 16years in prison is bullshit for recording the cop....have you seen those cameras? theyre very noticeable

pulling out his gun was a bit excessive though, most officers just put their hand near it

heres the video with the interview

How could he have possibly known it was an unmarked cop car rather than just some pissed off person chasing him down?

The "He should have known it was a police officer in plain clothes in an unmarked car" argument is beyond ridiculous. The first words out of his mouth should have been "police" and there's no reason he needed to pull a gun.