Wide Open West customers, come on in, let's talk

SpaceGhost

My wife read it and told me, she must not have read far enough or was lying to me to motivate me to switch. Come to think about it, she was the one that found the deal and said lets go to the AT&T store. Damn she has Jedi powers....

Broadband is now defined by the FCC as 4mbps down and 1mbps up. Insight only offers 768kbps up. It is not broadband. I have the 15 meg and all those HD channels (which pixelate and block non-stop). The second Verizon Fios is available here I'm firebombing Insight.

Broadband is now defined by the FCC as 4mbps down and 1mbps up. Insight only offers 768kbps up. It is not broadband. I have the 15 meg and all those HD channels (which pixelate and block non-stop). The second Verizon Fios is available here I'm firebombing Insight.

it's 1 mbps up and I only have problems with ABC. Of course my house was wired in 2007, which makes a difference, my parents had to have their house rewired a few years ago because every channel looked bad.

We have WOW. We've been having intermittent problems with our cable internet for a few months. Tech's came out multiple times and can't find anything concrete. They 'fix' a few things, leave and a few days or a week later it dies again. Now within the last 2 weeks I've been noticing a lot of compression artifacts. WOW's about to get kicked to the curb.

Even with these problems I feel like WOW is the best of all of the idiots around here. Insight is crap. I'd rather cut my big toe off than use Timer Warner. As soon as someone releases a computer (PCI-E) based tuner that can handle and m-card I'm building a computer so satellite isn't an option. At least then I will have a decent DVR instead of the complete shit than is available from the cable companies now.

I've had nothing but problems with WOW so far though. :mad: First it took them nine fucking months to bury the line outside, now these problems.

You will never see Verizon FiOS here.

1. Verizon is not the ilec in Columbus, and where they are the ilec they don't have enough "green" areas.

2. Verizon has stopped all new deployments of FiOS to only focus on better penetration rates where they currently have FiOS.

3. The FCC Defining broadband, did nothing.

4. All of Insights stuff is run by TWC in Columbus. We run the CMTS' They tell us what speeds they want, etc... They run the plant, we just manage the CMTS stuff. So you both have the same Insight Roadrunner service.

You will never see Verizon FiOS here.

1. Verizon is not the ilec in Columbus, and where they are the ilec they don't have enough "green" areas.

2. Verizon has stopped all new deployments of FiOS to only focus on better penetration rates where they currently have FiOS.

3. The FCC Defining broadband, did nothing.

4. All of Insights stuff is run by TWC in Columbus. We run the CMTS' They tell us what speeds they want, etc... They run the plant, we just manage the CMTS stuff. So you both have the same Insight Roadrunner service.

Well shit on 1 and 2. And of course the FCC changing a definition did nothing. But I still bug Insight about it every time I call (since I call as much as possible since my internet slows to about 3mbps every single night around 8pm).

Since you're saying you're running the RR stuff, do you have any idea when RR Extreme will be available here? I've read where it's in Middletown (SW Ohio) so I'm hoping it eventually makes its way here. The current stuff is garbage. It's not even broadband. ;)

Well shit on 1 and 2. And of course the FCC changing a definition did nothing. But I still bug Insight about it every time I call (since I call as much as possible since my internet slows to about 3mbps every single night around 8pm).

Since you're saying you're running the RR stuff, do you have any idea when RR Extreme will be available here? I've read where it's in Middletown (SW Ohio) so I'm hoping it eventually makes its way here. The current stuff is garbage. It's not even broadband. ;)

1. Call about your speeds dropping, it is more than likely an oversold node, and it needs a node split. The only way they will figure it out is if you keep calling.

2. Insight has no plans AFAIK for "Wideband" speed tiers (30/5, 50/5). Then again Insight doesn't make us privy to that info. They just simply tell us what they want to do, and when they want to do it. Which means, you as the consumer would know, before the engineers would know.

All I can tell you on #2 is we have not heard anything yet. They have the CMTS to support it, they just need some upgrades to the CMTS to make it all work...that and replacing modems =)

Yeah, my connection was great up until I'd say 4-5 months ago. And like you said, I just keep calling. They replaced everything they could replace in my house months ago and there was no change so I just keep letting them know my speed sucks. Figured it was an overloaded node.

If they don't get better upload speeds soon I'm probably going to kill someone.

Yeah, my connection was great up until I'd say 4-5 months ago. And like you said, I just keep calling. They replaced everything they could replace in my house months ago and there was no change so I just keep letting them know my speed sucks. Figured it was an overloaded node.

If they don't get better upload speeds soon I'm probably going to kill someone.

Why do you need better upload speeds? I would venture to say you don't even use 1/10th of the current upload speed you have.

You shouldn't venture. :p

There are things I'd like to do that I absolutely cannot with my current upload speed. Like streaming myself playing video games in HD on JTV. That would require about 45/10ths of my current upload...lol.

You shouldn't venture. :p

There are things I'd like to do that I absolutely cannot with my current upload speed. Like streaming myself playing video games in HD on JTV. That would require about 45/10ths of my current upload...lol.

Why would you want to stream what you are playing on a video game to the web?

I can also tell you, it won't take that much bw, looking at their site.

I can also tell you, it won't take that much bw, looking at their site.

The best HD streams on there run AT LEAST 2500kbps. Most upwards of 3000kbps. The highest quality my friends and I can use while trying to stream not even great quality video while minimizing lag is about 200kbps.

The best HD streams on there run AT LEAST 2500kbps. Most upwards of 3000kbps. The highest quality my friends and I can use while trying to stream not even great quality video while minimizing lag is about 200kbps.

Then their method of streaming it is shit.

Why would you want to but super high quality HD content of you playing a game on the net?

Because it's fun/interesting. Pretty much the reason anyone does anything. I mean, obviously it's not something that I need to do but I would like to and people all over the place are capable of doing so. 768kbps upload is really, really pathetic.

Because it's fun/interesting. Pretty much the reason anyone does anything. I mean, obviously it's not something that I need to do but I would like to and people all over the place are capable of doing so. 768kbps upload is really, really pathetic.

So is 128k (DSL) or 56k (Dialup).