Need Laptop Advice

99FLHRCI

I am looking to purchase 2 laptops. I would prefer one with a ~17.3" screen and one with a ~15.6" screen. I do not know why but looking around I have been leaning towards HP. I really don't know a lot about computers, so I was hoping for some advice. The biggest requirements are ~$1422, the screen sizes, and they must be from a retailer (internet or whatever just need receipts for work). I plan on using the ~17.3" for school work, internet, car tuning, and maybe light gaming (think Diablo II, Warcraft III, Starcraft). The ~15.6" will be for internet, light gaming (Sims 2) and pictures (storage maybe mild editing).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The current laptops I am looking at are HP DV7-3078nr $649.99 and HP DV6-3010us $649.99.

I just picked up a gateway very similar to this last month http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334569 at microcenter. Only major difference

is mine was a core 2 duo system.

Its been awesome so far and no complaints except I don't get enough chances to use it.

Why would you want two laptops? I would get one good laptop. I'd prefer a smaller laptop for tuning. Pick up a nice 13-14" lappy and get a LCD for gaming.

One for me and one for the girlfriend.

I always prefer HP laptops as they are good quality, and good price. Tip of the IT Wise. Always get a warranty and make sure you know what they cover. Laptop parts are ridiculously expensive and can cost $300+ dollars for replacement parts.

Good places to price compare:

Microcenter (commission based sales), Best Buy, OfficeMax, Staples, and Newegg.com.

I found my laptop 500GB Turion II 64bit 17" Screen for $650 @ OfficeMax last year in September.

In your case, you are on the right track, now for $650 you can get more than you'll use. Most laptops support the standard recommended settings for most games. The games you listed will not have any problem on laptops in that price range.

Recommended OS: Windows 7 Home Premium

Recommended Processors: AMD Turion II, Intel Core i3, AMD Phenom II

Recommended Applications: Office 2010 Standard

Also, if you want to know my credibility when it comes to warranty part costs. I worked for Sarcom as a HP Certified Technician, a laptop fan can cost about 30 dollars, and motherboards and screens are the most expensive at $300+ dollars but along with the part costs, laptops are a pain in the butt to work on, and take longer to fix than a desktop.