Plane Crash in Delaware - Right in front of JEGS

twistedfocus1647545489

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/jul/28/14/osp-small-aircraft-crashes-near-delaware-airport-ar-168670/

Edit:

The pilot of a small airplane has been killed in a crash near Rt. 42 and London Road in Delaware.

The crash was reported at 1:40 p.m., according to the Delaware post of the State Highway Patrol.

Delaware police say the pilot was flying alone. They did not identify the man.

The crash scene is in a soybean field near the JEGS warehouse and less than a mile from the western end of the runway at Delaware Municipal Airport.

Scott Woodruff, director of media and motorsports at JEGS, said he noticed what he thought were "white bags" on fire in the soybean field and ran toward what turned out to be the burning plane.

"The pilot was in there and he obviously was not going to get out on his own," Woodruff said. He said he ran back to JEGS and called coworkers to bring fire extinguishers to the crash site.

In all about 15 JEGS employees and passersby tried to help, but the fire was so burning so hot they could not get within 100 feet and were not able to use the extinguishers.

"It was too late," Woodruff said

The Delaware County coroner was called to the scene.

Edited by twistedfocus

Yeah, it was pretty F'd up to watch it burn and not be able to do anything for him.

I was out to lunch paying my speeding ticket from Monday night when it hit and happened to roll back in right as the firefighters showed up. Even more scary is that if he veered just a bit the other way that plane could have landed right in the office. Getting hit by a plane would seriously make for a shitty day at work.

must of been a loose can of starting fluid

Very possible. ;)

Initially I thought he had just taken off from the airstrip across the street, but now they're saying he was inbound. Apparently he was banking to come around and land and just stalled.

I looked at the pics the news showed of that model of plane and I'm not sure I would have known how to open the damn thing in a hurry. It looks like the bubble on top pops up so I'd assume the latch is near the back but I'd have no idea without looking around for an obvious latch or a label saying "the latch is right here asshole".

This happened right near my house. I had just left my house and was heading near that direction when I saw and heard the lights. Waited for them to go by and turned behind them only to see the plane, etc. a few moments later. Jumped out but nothing I could do and just stayed out of the way. Weird, the day before, Candis and I were out back when a plane swung over really low and looked like it was coming right at us as I joked about it crashing into us. And I had just been in that field with a neighbor looking for a dog the day before that.

Very possible. ;)

Initially I thought he had just taken off from the airstrip across the street, but now they're saying he was inbound. Apparently he was banking to come around and land and just stalled.

That is not hard to do. I am not sure about the specs of that plane but the approach speed in a Cessna 172 IIRC is 60-70 knots. If he was turning final and let his air speed drop too much he could have easily stalled. Stalling at 1200 ft generally equals death.

Another possibility is he used too much rudder with a low air speed ( a slip) then you stall and spin. That will not be recoverable at that altitude.