Top 25 engines rated by power-per-liter

Doc1647545523

This site lists the top 25 production (some very limited-production) engines in terms of power density or specific engine output: http://www.windingroad.com/articles/lists/list-top-25-power-dense-powerplants/?src=Nextscreen#1 By clicking the Next> button just above the first photo, you get the countdown of the cars from #25 to #1

Some of the cars really surprised me. I was shocked at some of the common and inexpensive cars with small but very power dense engines. I also had never heard of an SSC Ultimate Aero (204 hp/liter) :eek:

It wasn't that long ago when over 100 hp/L was considered very impressive in a stock motor.

HP/Liter is lame. It doesn't consider the packaging of the engine. For instance, a 32V 4.6L Ford motor is physically larger than a 7L LS7. I don't care if a motor is 20L, power output + fuel usage + packaging are the truely important factors.

Your point's well-taken. I hadn't considered the "outside the cylinder" bulk of the motor as a major factor, but as you point out, it's a very important one.

I guess it's in a more aesthetic sense that hp/L achievements appeal to a non-technical mind like mine. I marvel at the technology that extracts more and more power from a relatively small combustion chamber. But I agree with you, it's not the most important factor in the practical world.

Guest tbutera2112
Interesting, but a little skewed lumping those NA engines in there with a FI motor.

It's crazy how there are so many mainstream cars now over 100hp/liter though.

agree and disagree.....

sure, boost kinda makes it unfair for the people without it since its not actual engine power......but, the cars were built with boost in mind, if they had planned to run NA setups for the performance lines instead of boost, the engines would have probably been set up differently to squeeze more power out of them (CR, cam specs, etc)...instead they were designed with boost in mind