8 dead 12 injured...wow

2pointslow

That is very unfortunate. I wonder if there was any negligence on the drivers end that would cause people to throw rocks? Seems like the whole point of this race is jumping over stuff so why would the crowd stand so close?

Slowbalt- that was my thought, the driver should not be punished. He has to live with this everyday for the rest of his life. As to the fans, this is a wake up call. It is stupid to stand next to the track as a vehicle is traveling 100+ mph around turns and through the air...

It's rally racing....this should not be any suprise. This shit happens pretty often, you can stand anywhere because you can't possibly control the area of where the stages move to.

People are going to stand close and as Pat and I saw at STPR there are def. people who don't attend motor sports events frequently to understand the "norm" for spectating. Hell we were sitting 4-5 ft away from the cars through a fast section under braking where the cars pendulum swing into a tight left hander. It's part of the sport.

News had a video of it last night. Looks like the truck went over a small jump/drop off and didnt land quite straight. He went off the left side and rolled it into the crowd. They said the driver was Brett Michels if I heard correctly. Both him and his copilot/navigator had to flee because they were getting stoned by spectators. They said 8 dead 17 injured.

I can't see it at work but, I believe this is the video.