Thinking about getting a DD/winter beater, what can 3k get me?

Aaron

Sorry man, not trying to be a dick, but get some steelies and winter tires and save some money. Otherwise I vote Subaru.

Actually, he already spent a good deal of money on steelies and winter tires. But is still looking to waste more money.

*waits for Aaron to make post about kicking me in bawls now.

Def would consider a Cherokee.

if you are concerned about rust check the frame rails and rockers. As check the pass side floor to see if its wet. Body thats the only things to look for.

Engine wise 00 and 01 models had a weaker head the 0331 heads. Only other common thing is the Crank position sensor tend to go after 100k ( $70 part ).

My jeep has the 4-speed AW-4 automatic and is a tank has self adjusting bands and if maintained will last as long as the engine from what I have seen.

The only real issue you will see with most is sagging suspensions to replace everything runs just over $500. Or you can put a small 3.5" lift on it for about the same or a little less.

thing I would look into updating if you bought one. Headlights the stock one flat out suck. they sell a upgraded wiring harness and a set of e code H4 headlights for $100ish.

IF you want I can let you check my Jeep to see if it fits you needs.

Thanks for all of the posts/info/help.

I went and looked at the 2 suburbans and beer30's SHO today with my wife dead set on buying 1 of them today.

I have decided to get my mk2 jetta coupe running for dog park duties, order my winter tires, and do some mods to my car.

The suburbans were out the second I looked at them, even drove one for the hell of it. Old crappy ass suburban for 3300+TTL= around 4k.

The SHO was a harder car to turn down, but in the end, I couldn't justify spending 4-5k on a 15 year old FWD car that does nothing better than my GTI. They will always be my unicorn, but I will never own another one.

Snow tires for both my GTI and wifes Rabbit, Getting the jetta running safely and coilovers and summer wheels/tires can be had for that kind of coin.

PS Jones is gay