Condo owners

Gergwheel1647545492

If you had to do it over again would you still buy a condo or would you go for a house? Just curious if people like condo living or if it is just as bad as apartment living. Thinking about buying something where my monthly payments dont just get thrown to some jackass and i can actually get some value out of it when i decide to leave.

If you had to do it over again would you still buy a condo or would you go for a house? Just curious if people like condo living or if it is just as bad as apartment living. Thinking about buying something where my monthly payments dont just get thrown to some jackass and i can actually get some value out of it when i decide to leave.

If you are going to live in a Condo make sure you they do snow removal and that there is a pool/gym. Otherwise you can just hire someone to mow your grass for less than your dues and it's just not worth it.

I live in a condo and I probably would do it again. lawncare/ snow removal is all taken care of. condo dues includes cost of water, neighbors are very quiet (since its an condo and older people tend to live there) only major downfall is the condo association telling you what you can and cannot do.

Guest tbutera2112

another option would be free standing condos...like the ones right out here by me, kinda the best of both worlds...condo amenities, with house privacy

http://photos1.zillow.com/is/image/i0/i2/i9761/IS18qytznkn4zab.jpg?op_sharpen=1&qlt=90&hei=234&wid=316

garage is built into the back of the house, and theres an ally back there for garage access between houses

Jefferson Run is the complex

Owning a condo really all depends on your neighbors. My neighbros where I was living were super cool. The one guy was never home except every other weekend and the other neighbors we could shoot the shit with and drink with them all night long. Very like minded people. Edited by Radio Flyer

Everyone here has said it. The good, I had a leak in my roof about 3 years ago, and it was taken care of thru the condo assc. The Bad, the condo to my right is a rental unit from a realtor....I have had a jackass neighbor or two, but the one I have now is great. I would definetly do it again though.

As others have mentioned it'll vary on your individual situation. Owning a condo has allowed me to live where I want to, and in a nice place, without being house poor because of a bigger payment. The savings isn't as much as some people make it out to be, as I could have bought plenty of house for the money I pay now, i just couldn't have that house where I wanted. So this was the compromise.

I hear my neighbors every now and then but it's nothing major. My biggest complaint is parking at my place, so pay attention to that before you buy.

The biggest downside is that when you try to leave you're likely going to find that you didn't really have quite the "investment" that people want you to believe.

another option would be free standing condos...like the ones right out here by me, kinda the best of both worlds...condo amenities, with house privacy

http://photos1.zillow.com/is/image/i0/i2/i9761/IS18qytznkn4zab.jpg?op_sharpen=1&qlt=90&hei=234&wid=316

garage is built into the back of the house, and theres an ally back there for garage access between houses

Jefferson Run is the complex

Awful idea - want to talk about no resale value at all, even after the neighborhood is built. I have two friend in different areas with these that will never be able to sell them.

My wife had a condo for a few years. After living in one for a year, DO NOT BUY A CONDO. For ours:

- $250/month in fees. This included snow removal, lawn care, all outside maintenance, and a shared pool with another condo complex (pool was on the other complex's property).

- Averaged about $500/year in assesments, for various projects, from roof, to siding, parking lot, etc.

- Complex was 40 units, all 2 bed/2bath, long 1 car garage, 1700 sq/ft in a very nice area of town, nice layouts, and HARD TO SELL. Luckily out realtor is excellent, or we would have had a tough time selling it.

- Corrupt condo associations. You can see what they are paying for various services, and clearly tell there are kick backs. Ours was paying $20,000 a year in lawn care. Seriously, it was 2 guys mowing once a week (for less than an hour), and doing some flower work/mulch a couple times a year (maybe a day each). Snow removal was insanely priced as well. Repair people were also selected based on being related to board members.

Simply put, for the $3500/year can easily take care of anything you need done outside with money left over:

- 25 mows @ $50/each = $1300

- 15 snow removals @ $50/each = $750

This leaves you $1450/year for outside repairs. That's plenty for everything else that needs cared for and then some. We couldn't justify living in a condo, and we don't miss living there one bit, other than we loved the location (but also love where we are located now as well).

And I have to add we had great neighbors. But condos suck, and we had nice one!

You've seen where we live. We are a free standing Condo like Tyler posted up. If you can live by the "rules", it's great. We have just outgrown our home. That, and the school district, are the only reasons we want to move.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

That was a corrupt Board, and they need taken to court.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Awful idea - want to talk about no resale value at all, even after the neighborhood is built. I have two friend in different areas with these that will never be able to sell them.

My wife had a condo for a few years. After living in one for a year, DO NOT BUY A CONDO. For ours:

- $250/month in fees. This included snow removal, lawn care, all outside maintenance, and a shared pool with another condo complex (pool was on the other complex's property).

- Averaged about $500/year in assesments, for various projects, from roof, to siding, parking lot, etc.

- Complex was 40 units, all 2 bed/2bath, long 1 car garage, 1700 sq/ft in a very nice area of town, nice layouts, and HARD TO SELL. Luckily out realtor is excellent, or we would have had a tough time selling it.

- Corrupt condo associations. You can see what they are paying for various services, and clearly tell there are kick backs. Ours was paying $20,000 a year in lawn care. Seriously, it was 2 guys mowing once a week (for less than an hour), and doing some flower work/mulch a couple times a year (maybe a day each). Snow removal was insanely priced as well. Repair people were also selected based on being related to board members.

Simply put, for the $3500/year can easily take care of anything you need done outside with money left over:

- 25 mows @ $50/each = $1300

- 15 snow removals @ $50/each = $750

This leaves you $1450/year for outside repairs. That's plenty for everything else that needs cared for and then some. We couldn't justify living in a condo, and we don't miss living there one bit, other than we loved the location (but also love where we are located now as well).

And I have to add we had great neighbors. But condos suck, and we had nice one!

my condo fees started at $88, three years later, they are $100.... but it really depends on the area and condo assoc.

i also love my area and neighbors, but the one to my left is a rental. the guy that owns it lives in california, so i never know who will be there from year to year but so far so good.

and i have a finished basement with a pool table/ping pong table! i probably wouldnt have gotten 1400sq ft in a house for my payments...

What location are you thinking about? I have one in Sunbury Ohio with an FHA assumable loan, we need out, outgrown it ready to move on to a bigger house... PM if interested..

DW

sunbury would definitely be an option. shoot me an address if you would please, also maybe a price. looking to stay under 100k. I was looking in worthington or westerville but sunbury would actually be better for me.

sunbury would definitely be an option. shoot me an address if you would please, also maybe a price. looking to stay under 100k. I was looking in worthington or westerville but sunbury would actually be better for me.

mine was 119k brand new... just for comparison

Ive lived in condos and apartments everywhere in Cbus since living here and best place so far is the house I'm out in plain city.

Id rather have my privacy, mow my own lawn and know all my neighbors thats just me though.

If I was to buy the house I'm in It would be mine later and you can do with it what you want not have to ask someone.

Id look at what your aloud to do in the garage or if it has power also.

Ive lived in condos and apartments everywhere in Cbus since living here and best place so far is the house I'm out in plain city.

Id rather have my privacy, mow my own lawn and know all my neighbors thats just me though.

If I was to buy the house I'm in It would be mine later and you can do with it what you want not have to ask someone.

Id look at what your aloud to do in the garage or if it has power also.

im going to own land in the country and have a nice house on it, but that is about 10 yrs away probably. But that is my end game plan. if i had the money now i would be out in th emiddle of no where with ya man.

If you are going to live in a Condo make sure you they do snow removal and that there is a pool/gym. Otherwise you can just hire someone to mow your grass for less than your dues and it's just not worth it.

I agree. Also, make sure that your fees are locked in at a certain rate, at least for the first couple years.

whatever you do, lowball the fuck out of whoever you are buying from. if they say no they are likely ratards.

no one is buying shit right now. im in the middle of a HUD contract and I got mine for way cheappp

That's not exactly true. House a few down from me just sold for $900 less than their asking price, and it was on the market for a couple days before it went into contract, for 30k more than what the county says it is worth.

Not everyone wants to buy a HUD home.

Not everyone wants to buy a HUD home.

Amen.

And to the OP - No, I would not do a condo. Call it what you want; it's still a glorified apartment.

No dues, no rules, no neighbors that can hear me shit, and the pride of taking care of my own land and home are just too great of motivators.