Need Audi Help, PLEASE!!

cinergi

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good news is I pulled the ECU box out and messed around with the wires. Put everything back together (temporarily) and tried to start it. No turn, no crank, just relays clicking. So, that must be the issue.

The bad news is it is still an Audi.

The good news is I pulled the ECU box out and messed around with the wires. Put everything back together (temporarily) and tried to start it. No turn, no crank, just relays clicking. So, that must be the issue.

The bad news is it is still an Audi.

so is the ecu bad or does it need reprogrammed???

Not sure what you mean by it being near a wheel well. Its in between 2 firewalls, completely sealed off inside a box, where it connects to the harness that runs under the dash. I've never heard of it being a problem. Just sounds like the previous owner needs to not be allowed anywhere near a car.

Not sure what you mean by it being near a wheel well. Its in between 2 firewalls, completely sealed off inside a box, where it connects to the harness that runs under the dash. I've never heard of it being a problem. Just sounds like the previous owner needs to not be allowed anywhere near a car.

+1

The more I hear of this thing, the more I am sure the previous owner used a glue gun and zipties to hurry up and get it to OMG STAGE3 status.

There is zero doubt in my mind that someone did not build part of the car the right way.

The main issue is it was someone who didn't know what they were doing, or did and decided to take the Sanford approach--when it comes to the aftermarket WIRING--all the way down to the alarm, defi gauges, EVC, alarm and radio. Cody and I have fixed the majority of that homosexuality. However, from what I can see thus far I can say that the rest of the car was done right and wasn't rushed to "Stage 3 status". It's come down to a retarded design flaw, bad driver's and idiot owners.

I always end up fixing other people's issues and problems with the cars I get myself into. I am pretty good at wiring, so I should be able to solve this sometime soon--if I get the time. I was pretty baffled until I confirmed it was electrical, which I suspected in the first place.

I will say I see a lot of engineering in this car that I have never seen in any other car. Some good, but a lot bad--I see a lot of potential for major issues to occur and re-occur over and over again and that doesn't make me a huge fan of the overall design of the car. I think a lot of it was over-built and over-engineered. That's a good thing for the most part. I'd feel very safe if I was in the mood to wreck the thing.

I do recognize the ECU is between two firewalls, but I still think that area of the car takes a lot of "shock" from the road, especially in the case of this car where larger wheels and a stiffer suspension was added. I just can't see the logic for putting it there, other than there was no where else to possibly put it. What I think was the most ignorant design flaw in this car is where the main wiring harness is (underneath the ECU) and goes into the cabin. That is a super fucked up design and it's weak as hell. It's super flimsy and doesn't look like it was well thought out in terms of the best way to keep it intact. With all of the other engineering and excellence in technology I think they really failed here. The "rigged" ECU really doesn't have anything to to with that area--it at least worked, this is a problem deeper into the factory harness which as far as I can tell is untapped. I'll agree it isn't quite right, but it was at least FUNCTIONAL. When I spoke of reading this issue, this is where the problem lies. Apparently the harness and wiring in this area likes to use the metal Audi decided not to grommet or some other form of protection of the wiring and this causes the metal in that area to cut/slice/saw into the wiring. I am fairly certain that this along with the weak mounting point is the problem.

I agree the previous owner(S) had no business messing with this car, but it has been through a lot of "competent" shops, too so I don't know where exactly to place the blame--I doesn't really matter, I am going to have to be the one to step up and get it taken care of. No one wants to be the one to admit that they're an Asshat. I have talked to four of the previous owners and they all blame each other--It's a circle jerk of faggotry and none will take the first hit.) It also doesn't help that it is a fairly complicated design and if you don't know what you're doing you shouldn't be messing with it. I myself made that mistake, but at least I can trouble shoot the majority of the problem. As I mentioned previously, if I get the time I will try to fix the DESIGN FLAW this week. I will update when I have more info to provide. If I remember I will try to take some pictures so people can understand the flaw I am talking about.

The cliff of the above post is there is no "fail" in the aftermarket wiring. Eventhough it was not as clean as it should be, it works. The fail is in layout of the wiring -- Audi's design. This is my theory at the moment. All of the aftermarket crap has been checked or disconnected...

You check fuel pressure at all? We've had two Audi's and a BMW recently w/ same problem. They would just stall almost randomly after being started. The fuel pumps were getting hot and shutting down.

It's at an electronics shop right now. I know it is the harness and/or an ignition relay. I got it down that far and said screw it. I didn't want to spend hours and hours figure out where the issue was. The car has multiple issues, but that is the start.

In the past 6 months it has an ignition switch and fuel pump relay replaced.

Can't wait to get it fixed so I can rid myself of it!

• 2 weeks later...
Getting back to the security system (and this may be a shot in the dark, because I'm comparing a Pontiac to an Audi). But I had an issue with my car a few years ago that sounds very similar to yours. It ended up being the anti theft system in the car killing the power/ fuel. I replaced the wiring harness, fuel pump and starter before eventually having the VATS turned off in the PCM. Maybe the aftermarket security system is messing with your ECU. Do you have a valet key you could try and use. Again, maybe a long shot but I know what a PITA this kind of stuff is. Good luck!

Well I would swap ECUs with someone else see if that's the issue. As far as the misfire you were taking about and long cranking time sounds like an ICM. They are ontop of the airbox assembly. Try swapping the ICM wiring and seeing if your misfire code moves to a different bank. Each ICM controls one bank of cylinders.

Well, the verdict is the ECM.

If I can find one to borrow, that would be great. I would gladly pay to rent it.

On the other hand, I am not sure ALL S4, ecms are the same and I am unsure how to tell which mine has, because the asshat before me cut the tin apart with the part number on it. I have read that there are four or five potentials.