Veterans Bonus (PLEASE READ)

Mensan

Email sent to me from the Attorney General of Ohio:

Greetings,

One war veteran's simple question is about to bear fruit for 200,000 of his fellow Ohio veterans.

In 2007, U.S. Army Capt. Thomas Germano, a Mentor native then serving in Iraq, asked my office in a letter if the state offered financial benefits to veterans of recent wars. The state did not at the time, but Capt. Germano's question prompted me to ask the Legislature to ask voters to approve a bonus payment to veterans in salute of their service, just as Ohioans had done after World Wars I and II, Korea and Vietnam. Last November, more than seven in 10 Ohioans approved this bonus.

Today, state leaders and I announced that applications are now being accepted for the veterans bonus.

Veterans can download the application or get more information at: http://www.veteransbonus.ohio.gov

Eligible veterans who served in the Persian Gulf, Iraq or Afghanistan wars may receive $100 for each month of active duty service up to $1,000. Eligible veterans serving on active duty elsewhere in the world during these wars may receive $50 per month of service up to a maximum of $500. An eligible veteran may combine their service bonuses for a maximum payment of $1,500. Family members of deceased veterans may also be eligible for compensation.

Notary service for applications will be available at all of Ohio's more than 200 county clerks of courts locations.

In addition, assistant attorneys general in my offices in Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Youngstown and Toledo will provide the needed notarization on veterans' applications free of cost.

Information on those locations is available at http://www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov/VeteransBonus

If you know someone who might be eligible for this bonus, please forward this message to that person. And, again, please visit http://www.veteransbonus.ohio.gov for specific information about the application process and eligibility.

It is very gratifying to see Capt. Germano's suggestion from 2007 finally becoming reality, just as it is gratifying to see Ohio voters reward the service of their fellow citizens.

Sincerely,

Richard Cordray

Ohio Attorney General

Ohio Attorney General | http://www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov | 30 E. Broad St. | Columbus | OH | 43215

Forward to a friend Unsubscribe

Not a joke, please fwd to any veterans you know here in OH.

Yeah, and on that same page:

Eligibility Criteria

A person who has served greater than 90 days of active duty service in the US Armed Forces, excluding dates for training, during at least one of the compensable time periods and meets eligibility requirements may be eligible for the Ohio Veterans Bonus.

1. Served or currently serving in the US Armed Forces during compensable periods:

1. Persian Gulf Aug 2, 1990 through Mar 3, 1991.

2. Afghanistan Oct 7, 2001 through a date to be determined by President of the United States.

3. Iraq Mar 19, 2003 through a date to be determined by President of the United States.

2. The person was separated from the United States armed forces under honorable conditions, is still serving in active duty or after serving on active duty remains in any reserve component of the United States armed forces or in the Ohio National Guard.

3. The person was an Ohio resident at the start of active duty service.

4. The person is currently an Ohio resident.

5. The person has not received a bonus or compensation of a similar nature from another state.