1927 Roadster

wnaplay1647545503

I have a new project in the garage and looking for motor ideas. The car is a 1927 roadster started by a guy who then sold it to another guy who sold it to another guy and thats where I found it. It really hasnt had anything done to it in a few years. It has never seen the road. I cant decide which motor to go with. The car will just be a fun friday night cruiser so not looking to make huge power. The car hardly weighs anything so it wont take much. I am either thinking 327 or 350 sbc motor(possibly with 305 heads) and either a th350 or 400 tranny. The only problem thus far is finding a fair priced one that hasnt been sitting for a long time. I however can find a 305 motor and tranny, fair priced but not sure if the motor will feel/look underpowered. If I cant find anything soon, I will head to springfields swap meet next month and try my luck there. I can find van/truck motors all day but unfamiliar with the compression these have and if it will be an issue. I could go with the cheap 305 now to get it on the road, then build a bigger motor over the winter. Any suggestions? I already know theres alot to change out to get it where I want it but its a neat project. Motor wasnt included.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/wnaplay/3kc3mc3l35V05P45X4a8k693e7bcb3ba21c62.jpg

Edited by wnaplay

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blown 572? Like you said, it weighs next to nothing, so I would imagine almost any small block would work fine. I also assume any motor you would buy would get pulled apart before you put it in the car, if nothing else toss a cam in it. If the compression is not high enough you could always have a set of heads shaved down a bit to raise compression.

More pics, and the 5.3l lq4 + 4l60e would be great for that.

Lq4 denotes the 6.0L but yeah a carbed 5.3/6.0L would be nice and you can find the 5.3L pretty cheap from either a truck or van and can pull pretty good power.

Got an offer on a targertmaster motor, Now someone tell me what a target master motor is.

A cheap GM replacement engine from many years ago. They weren't new engines (like today's crate engines), mostly engines that failed QC for the production run and then were reworked.

First things first....I'm jealous. I totally want a model A roadster someday, but at this point have neither the money nor space for one.

Second. Flathead....seriously. Undeniable cool, and as you said it won't matter if it has 150hp, you wouldn't really want to go that fast in the thing anyway would you?

A cheap GM replacement engine from many years ago. They weren't new engines (like today's crate engines), mostly engines that failed QC for the production run and then were reworked.

I found what appears to be a good deal on a newer target master 305 with 10,000 on it and a rebuilt th350 tranny. The guy selling them is offering them to me at 1/2 the price of other motors I have been finding. I may just pick it up so I can keep moving on it.

I found what appears to be a good deal on a newer target master 305 with 10,000 on it and a rebuilt th350 tranny. The guy selling them is offering them to me at 1/2 the price of other motors I have been finding. I may just pick it up so I can keep moving on it.

I have a set of 305 TPI heads laying around you're more than welcome to have if you'd like.

• 2 weeks later...