BMW 7-series Kinks?

Diamonds

Hi guys,

I am completely new to euro cars. I am considering buying a 2002+ 7 series. I heard that the 2002 had many problems (involving the idrive knob/control). I also heard that some 2003's were affected by similar problems.

Here are my questions:

1. What year did they finally work out most of the kinks? 2004? 2005?

2. What major fixes/services should have been done on a 7-series that I would consider buying in that year range (2002-2009) in order to feel safe about buying it.

Thanks,

Bob

bob,

i have looked into this alot over the past year. i test drove 2 03 745's. you are right, the 02-03 745i/li seem to have new model change issues. 04-05 started to get good, but you are really going to pay for the newer years. they suck on gas, parts/labor is like any other bmw. if i was you i would go find a 04-05 745li, drop it on classy 20's and drive it like i was hung like a hippo. but with you making all that baller cash selling cigars maybe you can swing a 750li?

tom

It's BMW's flagship so if you have a problem you are going to pay. It doesn't matter which one they are ALL costly to maintain (same with the S-class). You can find parts cheaper for them but if you have a problem it's going to add up and if you get the V12 you can just about double those prices...

My brother is on his 4th and loves them. If you can afford it they are amazing cars...

Big and fast, 4 door pref.

Thats not a 7 series, there big not fast. On that note we've had good luck with ours other then the AC compressor failure. On that note it may be for sale ( 2010 (model year, purchased in 09) 760Li)

Ive had a 745,M3 4dr,M5, and a 540I. Out of all of them the 5 series is by far the most well rounded and overall excellent car. Its personal preference on generation but for the money it is really hard to beat the value that you get in an E39 540. You can get one in the last year of the E39 which im thinking was 2003ish very cheap for what you get. The e60 lost alot of the true driver feeling and in my opinion gained alot of ugliness. Wheels and a simple axle back exhaust are all that the E39 540 needs to be an incredible driver car. Make sure that you get one with the sport package or youll hate the drive of the car. Sport package E39 540's are denoted easily by the window trim. If the window trim around the door windows is black then you have the sport package in front of you. The sport package in those cars gives you better rear end gearing, about an inch or two lower suspension, larger sway bars, both front and rear, higher end leather, and more adjustments on the power seats. Overall go drive whatever youre considering before you do anything.

Big and fast, 4 door pref.

Do you mean quick or fast?

An Alpina B7 is fun or any of the new ones that have the V8-TT or V12-TT which move pretty good for there size.

I don't know what you want to spend but the S65 AMG is another good choice. Otherwise, the new Porsche Panamera-Turbo is probably the quickest in the class... ;)