painting bathtub tiles...

evan9381

Anyone ever do this? ive seen it done on HGTV a couple times and i know theres things out there to do it...my tub just looks like crap, and while i plan to redo my bathroom next, id like to do something to temporarily make it look a little better.

Ive seen some with a grout sealer, roll on/spray on paints, etc

So to those who have done it, what did you use? Hoping i can get everything i need at lowes/HD

i use a high lacqure paint or clear coat when i paint tile, and right after i apply the final coat i sprinkle a very light amount of very fine grit sand. it doesnt take much but it really helps with slipping on wet tile. and it doesnt gouge your feet as long as you dont go overkill with the grit or the ammount.

I guess looking at my post, i did type it pretty stupidly....im looking to paint the tiles surrounding my tub on the walls. Theyre 4x4" tiles. The tub could use something to cover up some rust spots for the time being, but idk if im ready to paint a whole tub...hopefully next yeari can gut the whole bathroom and replace everything

Sounds like you already understand this is temporary, but heres the method I have used in the past.

Scrub the tiles clean, dry and then clean again with TSP(being careful around glass because it etches glass), then degloss tiles with a very fine aluminum oxide paper, then use xim primer(probably the best primer there is), then apply either a high gloss(quality paint) or epoxy paint if theres high humidity. Sounds like it may be easier to just retile.

Sounds like you already understand this is temporary, but heres the method I have used in the past.

Scrub the tiles clean, dry and then clean again with TSP(being careful around glass because it etches glass), then degloss tiles with a very fine aluminum oxide paper, then use xim primer(probably the best primer there is), then apply either a high gloss(quality paint) or epoxy paint if theres high humidity. Sounds like it may be easier to just retile.

+1 If this is in the tub i wouldnt do it. If you do try to paint it, xim cost alot and the epoxy we use at work in bathrooms is about $100 a gal.