android 2.2 update

evan9381

im an idiot when it comes to these phones, and this is already pissing me off. the update added a bunch more programs i dont want/need or will never use (amazon mp3, app sharing, city id (was already there), my verizon mobile, news and weather, peep (already there), quickoffice, search people, vz navigator)...not to mention, i can go and kill the tasks, and they just pop back up and keep running. my battery life today alone i have noticed is shit.

fuck this. such bs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only way to delete the stock crap is with root.

what phone do you have?

They ended up giving me a Motorola Cliq XT. It's not a bad phone, but being stuck in 1.5 I don't get Nav or ability to save pics to SD, or really access to the SD card for the most part. I don't know the validity of the of the rumors that Motorolas brick easily, but I didn't want to screw it up. Three more months and I can get what I want, or I will switch and get the Galaxy S or next best thing.

Fixed ;)

lol. not impressed with it...tried my brothers and didnt like it...and this was before i got this phone.

funny thing is, i was planning on waiting until verizon got the iphone, then after messing with his a couple times, decided it wasnt as good as i thought it would be.

lol. not impressed with it...tried my brothers and didnt like it...and this was before i got this phone.

funny thing is, i was planning on waiting until verizon got the iphone, then after messing with his a couple times, decided it wasnt as good as i thought it would be.

I felt the exact same way the first time I used it. Then someone showed my a few tips, I used my wife's a couple more times and now I'm hooked. I have mine set up perfectly and show you a bunch of cool shit with it.

What are your top 3 uses/needs ?

mainly calls, texts, and web browsing...it just pisses me off they add all these apps that they want me to waste more money on (like vz navigator...ive got google maps, car panel, etc. dont need to pay $10/mo for vz nav, i have free thing on my phone) and i cant remove them without doing a bunch of stuff i shouldnt have to do.

yeah, it is bs you have you to root to get rid of the software you don't want slowing down your phone. but, good thing someone hacked it. there is a click once thing giong around to do it. it's pretty easy. i am waiting for the 2.2 update to be applied my Verizon before i root my phone though.

DROID X > I Phone 4

Notice your occupation. Very common among IT folks. Otherwise, like Evan, most people just want point, click and work. Not knocking the phone, but one of the many things apple does right is keep things easy to use. Ease of use is among the top reasons features associated with high adoption rates. I'm sure you know that being in IT though. Users are not always techies. Having sold software for nearly 20 years, I can say that's truth.

Root permissions wont just get rid off apps, you have to NAND unlock as the preloaded apps are in /system. And 2.2 has been rooted, it involves a downgrade to 2.1. Sebastian Krahmer developed the local root exploit it uses.

Root permissions wont just get rid off apps, you have to NAND unlock as the preloaded apps are in /system. And 2.2 has been rooted, it involves a downgrade to 2.1. Sebastian Krahmer developed the local root exploit it uses.

:eek:

:wtf:

:o

App killer doesnt close apps that are set to auto start by the phone. You have to go into android built in running services and stop them from there. It will give you a warning that the app will not restart until manually started and then close it once selected.

App killer doesnt close apps that are set to auto start by the phone. You have to go into android built in running services and stop them from there. It will give you a warning that the app will not restart until manually started and then close it once selected.

Just buy an Iphone already...

Android phones are a lot more technical than other phones. Applications like task manager/app killer need to be tweaked to make them useful. The problem is people just try to close everything all the time thinking it helps.. then they go to use a navigation apps and stuff and wonder why it cant find their location. Another thing is it actually uses more battery stopping and starting running services all the time.

I personally dont like the 2.2 update. At first it was cool but I like 2.1 more. I'll probably reset it to factory and root it to ignore the update here soon.

Disagree, not entirely. In certain custom roms like Bugless, you can change how much memory the system will inherently try to keep free, making them a tad less pointless. I use mine as a quick way to close pandora if I want it to stop playing :p