SAAB Rear Brake Replacement

hot_wire

Hopefully someone can help. Even with generic knowledge. I realize that SAAB's aren't the most common

I have been noticing uneven wear on my rear brakes pads, so I decided to replace the rotors and pads this weekend. Things went great for the first half. My dreaded index screws popped out and the old rotors came off without too much of a beating.

I cleaned up my old calipers with a wire brush & brakecleaner and began to reassemble everything. First sign of trouble was when I attempted to install the new rotors. They wouldn't even fit over the hub because my emergency brake had self adjusted to my old worn rotors. After bringing the emergency brake back into compliance, I slipped the new rotors on. I tend to test everything as I go, so I gave both rotors a spin. One side spun freely, the other side had two sticking points on it as it spun. I don't mean a permanent stick, but definitely enough to feel by hand. Because of this, I backed the handbrake off even further.

Then I reinstalled the calipers with new pads. The side that had been fine before now seemed to get stuck at one location as I rotated it. When looking at the brake, I could actually see the rotor/pad clearance change as I spun the rotor. Keep in mind that these are brand new Brembo rotors and EBC greenstuff pads. Surely quality products like these could not be warped from the factory?!

Anyway, I threw my wheels on to see if the added lugs would better secure the rotor and assuage my fears. A trip around the block made me unhappy. The brakes chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp as I drive and the rate speeds up and slows down with my speed.

Now what? Will this go away as the brakes wear in? Brake work has always gone smoothly for me, but this is the first attempt alone in my driveway. Any help is greatly appreciated

Edited by hot_wire

Cleaned the living shit out of every contact point. Also lubricated the internal emergency brakes. All is well. You guys are awesome, as always. Now if I could get my handbrakecables to stop sticking in their lines...

you can try to put some dry graphite or cable lube down in there to see if it frees up but you'll probably just need to replace the cables