Help me justify buying this

87GT

Seriously have you seen a more stock looking head unit then this? It is a lot of money but I want the stock look for risk of it being stolen. I have never seen anything like this in any local car audio shops. What does CR think about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190438827921&viewitem=&category=169337

I like it. Pretty cool really. I stopped going aftermarket back in college. Not worth it given the OEM Units today are so nice. I kept he stock system in my 03 Accord with Navi and added about $2k in speakers and amps and it sounded amazing. No one could believe the entire car looked stock inside. Never feared about having my gear stolen as you couldn't tell one bit by sight. :cool:

My brother uses a adapter for his stock radio that allows him to pick up his Mp3 player on 88.7 fm. Bet that would be cheaper then the radio.

Like this

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=1622&sku=26480

Never had good reception with these. Maybe if I lived outside of columbus it would be better.

They make cable interrupters that basically "T" into your antenna signal cable, and switch input from FM/AM signal to an mp3/sat radio source when they initiate a signal. That's how the Sirius unit in my mom's Accord is setup, as was her old Suburban.

Thanks for the ideas but to paint a picture I am still rocking the OEM tape player from 1987. I need an upgrade in more ways then one.

lol You could get the fake casette tape that plugs into your output jack of your cd player or mp3 player and pop that into your casette deck. Old school.

Someone with some soldering and electronic expertise and some time on their hands could probably wire a stock head unit faceplate to an aftermarket one.

Im my old Datsun 510, I had an aftermarket head unit and speakers. I got a hard, black plastic cover that went over the head unit and glued wires and shit to it. Made it look like the stereo had already been stolen. Looked especially convincing thru the tinted windows. :D

lol You could get the fake casette tape that plugs into your output jack of your cd player or mp3 player and pop that into your casette deck. Old school.

already have that and the left or right channel goes out randomly. Fucking annoying.

http://media.okidoker.com/data02/c/1/3/2/32616/407755/1006605_2.jpg?updated=0

Could go for something like this, not sure if they make them anymore though. I got mine close to 8 years ago. Looks like that when powered on, but turn the car off and the bottom row of buttons slides in, and the entire front face goes pitch black. Looking in the car you can barely tell that there is even a radio in there. Worked really well for having a convertible too.

I'm for the original link or at least a factory head unit with upgraded amp and 3 in one speakers with drivers. We have had too many cars broken into for aftermarket head units and we even had the kenwood flip face ones that look completely blank when you turn the car off. The bose in the vette blows but I would never change the head unit.

I am stuck with the double/wierd DIN on my GM, I read that the Pioneer DEHP47 fit and was a decent head unit. I found one on Ebay for 130$ shipped and picked up a UB100 from Crutchfield for 24$ shipped. While not as cool or visually pleasing as the new models, the fitment is great and having USB capability is a must in this day and age. The dash still has an OEM look.