Automatic with manual valve body- how manual is it?

hpfiend

Hey all--

I don't know much about automatics other than the fact that the really fast drag cars use them. I like to shift but know that it puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain and they tend to break more parts.

So... what does a manual valve body do? Do you actually shift it with a shifter? My dad's C6 has paddle shifter buttons but it just feels artificial without rowing the shifter. Are there other options to SHIFT an auto?

I am going to join umtra sometime later today but I already know their position ;-)

Laters,

Andrew

dont have a clue on how it works. Pretty sure any manual valvebody must be shifted, it will not shift on its own unless you click the gears. Shifts are extremely quick, nothing like a factory paddle shift car( Im not talking high end, just your typical car with paddles ). For the 5 miles I put on the car before I decided to go another route, I liked it. Shifts will be firm depending on the rpm its shifted at, maybe some transmissions will be different. Im basing my info from a c4 in my notch

Yep your exactly correct. You must shift the car through all the gears like a stick shift minus the clutch. I have a glide in my car and when I drive it on the steet, if you take off in 2nd or high, it's like taking off in 5th gear with a stick. Trust me, a 5500 stall converter doesn't like that too much.

Guest 614Streets
Also some full manual rev vb / tb set ups do not provide engine braking , in other words if you run you car up through the gears and downshift nothing will happen, you will stay in high gear until speeds are reduced dramatically.

They actually make a paddle shift kit for the auto in the supra. Holds all gears and can be used to completely reprogram shifts, etc. I've also got ghetto manual shift if I simply unplug the tranny ecu. The only time I actually do that is for dynoing, though. :p

Manual Valve Body for the win... Ive ridden in Sam's Bimmer a few times, def pretty awesome and in a way you can still "slam gears"

But correct me if I am wrong tuners... but on the C6 "Paddle Shifters" you can tune those to be better and shift harder right?