Swagger

TimTaylor751647545500

Popularity doesn't make someone the best. I can respect Wayne's approach but to call him one of the best is a stretch. He grunts, moans and mumbles on his tracks. That's not talent.

Drake is good right now but I question his longevity. Most rappers fade after their 3rd or 4th album because they can't adapt or find new content. And honestly, I'm tired of hearing how hard drake has it because of how much work he does.

Cassidy could have been great. His mix tapes and freestyles were amazing, but every album was so full of BS "I love you" shit that I lost respect.

Now Jay-Z.. IMO one of the very best artists period... Not just in rap. The man has been around since 95-96 making music, his style has adapted his content has changed and after 14plus years in the game he's still relevant, and not just relevant but one of, if not THEE best at it? Come on name an artist you listened to 10 years ago who is still on top of their game... now even if you don't like his music you can't deny his talent.

As for Eminem, everyone has their own opinion of what make the best rapper, but I think Em respects the game and works hard at it. His biggest down fall is his content doesn't change much. Although Recover was a great album and I thought he did a good job at switching it up a bit.

Big Boi defiantly isn't top 5... He would even admit to that. :lol:

My top 5 in no order...

Jay Z

Big L

Talib Kwli

Eminem

TI

Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack. I just have to much sawg to be held back ;)

I agree with. 90% of what u said, but wayne has the best combos ever. Get past the grunts and laughs and he is very close to the top. Cassidy was the shit, but half his albums were doody. Drake has made 4 albums now. Technically, 3 mix tapes 2 albums. Don't know why but watever, talib is great but I think lup gets him all day. I say em is great prolly top 5, but relapse was so bad and his shit is starting to sound the same. My top 5

Jay

Wayne

Andre 3k

Kanye ( music no personal I know u fags hate him)

Em

Drake ti common lupe and jeezy finish off top 10

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT!? Did you not understand his THUG LIFE movement? :gtfo: Pac rapped to let people know what was going on. He was THUG LIFE. He took on issues and rapped about issues that he saw in his community and took the heat for it. WHY? Because he believed in it. He knew that if hew could bring attention to the streets by rapping about it (even if it offended people) that people would HAVE to deal with it. To say Pac was a studio gangster is stupid. The man at the height of his popularity was going to house party's in the fuckin hood, he never left the streets.

i agree with your other post about rap in general, besides that fact some how didn't mention biggie as one of the best to ever do it.

but, pac WAS an actor before rapper. wasn't he? he didn't grow up in the hood....fact! all i am sayin is, in like 89 - 90.. he was NOT a thug he was a fucking actor and BACKUP DANCER, then all of a sudden boom, turned thug. sure, at that point he maybe went hood but, he didn't grow up in it. he choose to be it after he already had money from digital underground and acting. he talks about everything he saw after he ALREADY WAS RICH. and just visited the ghetto, a place where everyone looked at him as a king or whatever, cause he was semi famous. i don't really call that experiencing the ghetto, and being all about what he raped about.

he was in his early to mid 20's before doing ANY TYPE of ghetto shit. so therefor, actor turned rapper. he took on that ghetto persona. he didn't grow up in it.

yeah, this sounds like thug life...

At the age of twelve, Shakur enrolled in Harlem's 127th Street Repertory Ensemble and was cast as the Travis Younger character in the play A Raisin in the Sun, which was performed at the famous Apollo Theater. In 1986, the family relocated to Baltimore, Maryland.[20] After completing his second year at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School he transferred to the Baltimore School for the Arts, where he studied acting, poetry, jazz, and ballet. He performed in Shakespeare plays, and in the role of the Mouse King in The Nutcracker.[

In June 1988, Shakur and his family moved once again, this time to Marin City, California,[20] where he attended Tamalpais High School.[24] He began attending the poetry classes of Leila Steinberg in 1989.[25] That same year, Steinberg organized a concert with a former group of Shakur's, Strictly Dope; the concert led to him being signed with Atron Gregory who set him up with the up-and-coming rap group Digital Underground. In 1990, he was hired as the band's backup dancer and roadie.[4][5][6]

So again, he was in good even private schools. Did theatre and what not in school, and then was a back up dancer directly after. that doesn't sound like the youth of a THUG.

Edited by 04silvrz

If you don't think Biggie is AT LEAST one of the best 3 rappers EVER, then you haven't been paying attention. Listen to Ready to Die or Life After Death a few times. His flow is still untouchable to this day. You know you're that damn good when you only had two albums and you're still considered one of the greatest of all time.

Biggie > all

PS, yes swagger is a gay ass word. But it used to be fine before it was played way the fuck out

If you don't think Biggie is AT LEAST one of the best 3 rappers EVER, then you haven't been paying attention. Listen to Ready to Die or Life After Death a few times. His flow is still untouchable to this day. You know you're that damn good when you only had two albums and you're still considered one of the greatest of all time.

Biggie > all

PS, yes swagger is a gay ass word. But it used to be fine before it was played way the fuck out

NO DOUBT.... right??

I don't understand how people don't give him respect. i STILL pop in a biggie album every couple months. flow is untouchable.

...i don't really call that experiencing the ghetto, and being all about what he raped about.

:eek:

...yeah, this sounds like thug life...

Hmmm...so he grew up in Harlem?

http://www.citypass.com/citypass/images/cities/promos/east-harlem.jpg

http://www.gothamist.com/attachments/weather_joe/delavega_robhoey.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Wagner_Houses.jpg

You're right. Looks more "sophisticated" than "ghetto".

Anyways, here. Granted it's just people opinions, but I feel it's pretty warranted.

i just wish he could have made more music, i know he had more to say!

there just isn't many people that can make make multi-syllabic rhymes so smooth and effortlessly. i swear emenim is the only other one I have heard come close. maybe i don't know about someone i should, but none of the above mentioned do it.

and kayne as a lyricist is LAUGHABLE. he is a great producer, but not a lyricist if that's what we are talking about.

:eek:

Hmmm...so he grew up in Harlem?

http://www.citypass.com/citypass/images/cities/promos/east-harlem.jpg

http://www.gothamist.com/attachments/weather_joe/delavega_robhoey.jpg

You're right. Looks more "sophisticated" than "ghetto".

Anyways, here. Granted it's just people opinions, but I feel it's pretty warranted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Harlem

he grew up in EAST Harlem. not a black neighborhood. it was Latino.

Biggie was great but I hate that just because he and Pac died they're considered the greatest or the benchmark for great hip hop. There were plenty of other talented rappers out the same time as biggie and Pac, they just brought it to the main stream. It doesn't make them better.

he grew up in EAST Harlem. not a black neighborhood. it was Latino.

OK? It's still not like he was on the swim at Worthington Kilbourne.

Biggie was great but I hate that just because he and Pac died they're considered the greatest or the benchmark for great hip hop. There were plenty of other talented rappers out the same time as biggie and Pac, they just brought it to the main stream. It doesn't make them better.

Ummm....if they made it mainstream and they got it out to the people I think it does make them better.

IMHO of course.

Unless I missed them, there has not been one mention of Dre, or Ice Cube.

Since when did the word Swagger become my rapper is better than your rapper? WTF people?

Right around here...

Anytime someone quotes Jay Z as a description and/or definition they lose all credibility. I totally agree with OP.

Sorry.

Rap sucks so you can all go to Jessie James Hell.

Agreed.

Wow all this rap talk and no one brings up snoop or dre? What is this world coming too? I can agree with alot of what people are saying but andre 3k come on now he was sick before he went out on his own but hasnt been shit in years as far as im concerned. Biggie is ill as well but I dont see him hardly getting into my personal top 5. And J... man is sick. Blueprint 3 was one of my favorite albums that has come out in awhile.

I hate when people want to put Lil Wayne and Drake in the top tier of rap artists. Drake autotunes everything and he sounds like shit. I have not been impressed with any of his songs and I think his popularity is all hype put out by record labels. Wayne doesn't make sense in almost all of his songs and he giggles at his own lyrical jokes. Sure, he rhymes when he freestyles, but he doesn't make sense. Fuck, he mentioned Space Jam in a song last year! That movie is so old, and it wasn't even good when it came out!

Eminem is a better rapper, producer, and free-styler (if that's a word). He's a true artist/lyricist, which you would know if you've ever seen how he compiles his songs. I won't go so far as to say he's the best rapper alive, but he's way ahead of Drake and Wayne.

My top 5 alive would be (in no particular order) JayZ, Eminem, Andre 3000, Nas, Dre.

I would rather listen to Lil Boosie all day than listen to another Drake/Wayne song.