Another quick little Ford coming

Littleguy

With the new Coyote engine, Focus, and now this Ford has really stepped up their game as far as delivering fast and fun cars. I've never owned an American car, but Ford is changing my mind lately.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2011-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots_100322731_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2011-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots_100322730_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2011-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots_100322729_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2011-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots_100322728_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2011-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots_100322727_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2011-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots_100322726_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2011-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots_100322725_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2011-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots_100322732_m.jpg

We've previously spied Ford testing its new four-cylinder EcoBoost engine in the U.S., with engineers using a sporty variant of the 2011 Ford Fiesta three-door hatchback as their guinea pig. Today we add to the Fiesta ST's unmasking with these shots of the car during comeptitive testing near the Nurburgring.

New to the game are the Recaro seats spotted in the cabin, confirming this is more than just an EcoBoosted Fiesta. A front-mount intercooler with piping on either side can clearly be seen in the prototype’s lower grille area. Other telltale signs that this is a performance variant of the Fiesta are the dual exhaust tips, diffuser, sporty bodykit and 17 inch alloy wheels--the latter of which were probably installed to house a set of bigger brakes.

Ford is planning to introduce a new four-cylinder EcoBoost engine to the Fiesta, which suggests that the engine in this prototype also features direct injection technology. The engine is most likely based on the regular 119 horsepower 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine from the 2011 Ford Fiesta but with the aid of EcoBoost output should be closer to the 170 horsepower mark.

The previous-generation Ford Fiesta ST sold overseas was fitted with a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter Duratec engine and had 148 horsepower on tap, so expect the new 2011 model to offer a slight power bump.

The new 2011 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost should make its debut towards the end of the year, most likely at the 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1043637_spy-shots-2011-ford-fiesta-st-ecoboost

when do i get my fusion st damnit...i want a 6spd manual and the sho ecoboost motor..

I hear it's coming. Personally, I wish they would have put the 3.7L in the Fusion Sport. She's a fun ride as is, but with 305+ HP on tap, it would be a really fun ride. I can't wait until they do as by then, I'll be on another company car.

Instead they put the bigger motor in the slug of an Edge Sport with AWD and it's actually tested slower than the standard FWD version with the 3.5L motor.

I can relate :D

You already drive a Mazda. Not a huge stretch. ;)

I will give props to ford for seemingly moving in the right direction. Still too early to tell for sure and I'm still burnt up about the fact they should've been bringing this shit here a long time ago. But, I guess when the majority of American cars buyers are stupid enough to keep buying the same shit, why sell something better? Here's to change.

Yes, the new Ford product offerings like the new Mustang, Focus, and Fiesta are making me interested in the Ford brand.

QFT.

I'm a Ford die-hard to begin with but it's nice to see Ford pulling their head out their ass and really coming out with consistent winners. They are going to draw a lot more followers with their most recent line-up, and take plenty of 'on the fence' people into Ford territory in the process.

<--- GM owner

Ford of Europe has always been a serious player in the quality car realm. Loved by the automotive press and buying public alike.

The secret (unknown at least to the back-woods mullet sportin american consumer) is that its been a quality product in N America for a long while too.

Its not that Ford is doing anything "new" over here - well at least since they introduced the edge cars in europe in the late 90s - its that, like ImUrOBGYN said: when all they had to compete against was the same old GM crap, no reason to sink costs into N America to sell enough cars to make some money. Now that GM bankrupted and Ford has to stand against VWs, Audis, etc, they're going to dip into their deep world well of car design more.

The previous blase' Ford product line-ups for N. America have been the consumers fault, plain and simple. These are, after all, the same "good enough" consumers that bought GMs.

Fords in europe kick ass. I enjoy driving them every visit to the inlaws in Holland.

<--- GM owner

Ford of Europe has always been a serious player in the quality car realm. Loved by the automotive press and buying public alike.

The secret (unknown at least to the back-woods mullet sportin american consumer) is that its been a quality product in N America for a long while too.

Its not that Ford is doing anything "new" over here - well at least since they introduced the edge cars in europe in the late 90s - its that, like ImUrOBGYN said: when all they had to compete against was the same old GM crap, no reason to sink costs into N America to sell enough cars to make some money. Now that GM bankrupted and Ford has to stand against VWs, Audis, etc, they're going to dip into their deep world well of car design more.

The previous blase' Ford product line-ups for N. America have been the consumers fault, plain and simple. These are, after all, the same "good enough" consumers that bought GMs.

Fords in europe kick ass. I enjoy driving them every visit to the inlaws in Holland.

<3

Needs moar fangs.

i like how the rear wheel is only a few inches back from the rear bumper, i only wish they'd done the same with the front bumper. BMW seems to be the only car company that appreciates minimalizing bumpers.

I like the look of short overhangs, as well. When it comes to proper tire size/wheel opening looks, BMW is the best. Their cars rarely look 'hollow' either. Always solid looking. Kinda hard to explain.

Not really feeling the looks to well, but you can never go wrong with boost.

I agree Ford is doing well. I said I would never buy a Ford from day one but i'm really considering a new 5.0 stang. I would like to see how there interior is in person, haven't ever road in one or anything RWD thats somewhat quick.

love it!!! but i'm waiting for the first shop that swaps a focus ST turbo 2.0l into a fiesta, oh baby!

You already drive a Mazda. Not a huge stretch. ;)

I will give props to ford for seemingly moving in the right direction. Still too early to tell for sure and I'm still burnt up about the fact they should've been bringing this shit here a long time ago. But, I guess when the majority of American cars buyers are stupid enough to keep buying the same shit, why sell something better? Here's to change.

they've been planning it for a while, but it's a bit of a logistics issue from the pre-mulally management. they brought over a few euros in the 90's that were absolute sales failures(contour, merkurs), so the just assumed that it wasn't worth the hassle of importing cars designed for europe when they could design NA specific cars. the first gen focus was a world car, but NA management gave ford europe the go ahead to design the second gen focus specifically for europe. once mulally got in control, it came out that there were quite a few in management that wanted some of the euro fords, but they logistically couldn't bring them over. simply put, europeans are willing to pay premium cash for a compact ford, while americans are quality-ignorant to some extent("$25k-$30k is too much for a compact 'ford', no matter the quality"). it, and a lot of other euro fords, couldn't be imported and sold at much of a profit.

and that, as well as the standard crash and emissions issues, why we've had to wait for the redesigned fiesta, redesigned focus, redesigned kuga, etc., so they could be designed with both euro and NA sales in mind.

Honestly I hate Fords and all their products but thats my favorite car so far in the new lineup. The 'stangs are just still way too bloated looking and heavy.

you've seen the 'stangs competition...right???